Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Breakfast, Beer, and Books

On the way back home from my friend's house the other morning I jumped off the train to stop at Dunwell's.
Got coffee and a carrot cake-coconut donut.


It was smallish and cakey, which I like more than yeasted style. It fills me up more. Not that I should be having sugar for breakfast anyway, but whatever.
Later I had a healthier breakfast snack:

                                    Avo toast with black salt, cayenne, and hemp seeds.
It was a cold, rainy day, so I made a warming, filling soup with leftover cooked red lentils.

I sauteed garlic, ginger, onion, and red pepper flakes in coconut oil, added the cooked red lentils and half a can of coconut milk. Added curry powder, turmeric, salt, a bit of water, and spinach and let it heat through. Voila, curried-coconut red lentil soup. Easy and fast.
Later that night, I was scheduled to read a poem at my local library for the installation of some new board members.
Here is how I prepared:


Here is the library, lit up:


And here is me, reading:


Today's meals were simple leftovers.
Breakfast:

                                          Kashi with sliced banana and coconut milk

Lunch was raw kale salad, roasted carrots, chickpeas, and turmeric dressing.
Dinner was more of the red lentil soup, and that's all she wrote.
See you soon.

22 comments:

  1. Avocado toast is all the rage nowadays, isn't it? :P
    I'm so angry because all the avocado I purchase always turns black once I cut it open. Where do you get yours? Is there a safe proof way to know I got a good one? I'm wasting so much hard earned money on the bad seeds. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, well I usually buy them slightly underripe and let them sit in a paper bag for a day or two. I'll use about half at a time, and wrap the other half up to use in a day or 2.
      Bad avocados are NO fun.

      Delete
  2. How cool!!! Was it a poem you wrote or a favorite one you read? I love libraries.

    Donuts and avocado toast all balance out - it's the major food groups, minus greens. But you took care of that in your salad! :) Your soup sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love libraries too! This one has a lot of cool events.
      The poem I read was one of mine. Was really pleased with how the soup came out.

      Delete
  3. Hhmm. I've got a lot more questions about the "friend" you stayed with.... But i'll leave it at i hope this friend makes you happy :))
    Good call on the donut stop! Whatever, obviously morning donuts on occasion are good for the soul and therefore necessary. I'm also pro cake style donut.
    That lentil soup sound really great!!
    Don't go rushing to pay the drs, submit every single appt, rx, and little thing to your insurance and maybe you'll have met your deductible and catch a break that way.
    Glad you're feeling better finally!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes me happy. :)
      I'm hoping to make the donut stop a more regular thing. He also lives near a legit bagel shop (not why I started seeing him) (but a bonus.)

      Delete
    2. YAY!!!
      You deserve OOODLES of happiness!! (And good bagels :))

      Delete
  4. Oooh that donut looks and sounds incredible! Definitely a great choice :) the avocado toast looks great as well and your lentil soup looks and sounds perfect.

    How cool about the poetry reading! Was it your poem or one that was selected? I like your prep for the reading as well! Glad you are starting to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go back and see what other donut flavors they have.
      The poem was one I wrote, I was going to read another by someone else but we ran out of time.

      Delete
  5. Dang, that donut looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the correct way to prepare for a poetry reading. :) Go you! Also, both that avo toast and the curried lentils sound so fantastic right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Unknown.The Donut looks incredible, but who is this 'friend' of which you speak? Did the 'friend' take the pic of you at the poetry reading? Glad you are obviously back on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my "mom" took the photo of me at the reading. I think she had to be there for her job.

      Delete
  8. Mmm that is my kind of curried soup! Red lentils are the best! Are you on the board at the library, or did they just ask you read? Love the title of your poetry book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how quickly red lentils cook too.
      No - full disclosure, my mom knows/works with the people on the board and she suggested I read at the event.

      Delete
  9. So glad to see you doing a reading! Also, that donut looks a little wonky; what gives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get out of the house occasionally.
      Haha, wonky how?? Lopsided? I know it's not as big as the Vegan Treats donuts, maybe you are thrown off by the size :)

      Delete
  10. AVO TOAST! My fave! I need to try to find some avocados here, I went to a cafe the other day that had them on the menu but the boat bringing them to the island hadn't shown up so they were avocado less. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. would you share your recipe for turmeric dressing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ah ... you did share the recipe on the next page. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.