Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Hibernation food

Despite the blog post title, I've been going out a lot this week and by Friday was totally overwhelmed and exhausted from being around people. The title refers more to the fact that I feel like I've been eating less healthfully - more breads and sweets, heavier stuff. It's partly the cooling weather and general darkness, partly being busy, and partly sadness and frustration due to the Ferguson and Eric Garner decisions. If there are protests in yr areas, I urge you to attend. It may not change anything but we need to air our grief and not let it bring us down. My thoughts are with their families (and so many others affected by the same systemic issues.) Been thinking a lot about privilege and self-care in balance with compassion and supporting others and it's all too much sometimes.
So, here are some breakfasts lately:

                                         Fruit salad - black grapes, apple, orange, kiwi
I baked gingerbread scones (with cranberries) for work one day. These are from The Joy of Vegan Baking.

Scones go great with cawfee, dontcha know. Love Bob's Burgers.
                                    (A sign outside of Everyman Coffee the other morning)

                                         snacks - apples, walnut/dried cranberry trail mix

                                       Raw Brussels sprout salad with lentils mixed in

A horrible photo of a delicious Mediterranean salad from Bite. Greens, eggplant, hummus, Israeli salad, toasted almonds.

Abby, I found the Theo dark cups! If you are like me, you'll need to try these if only for the sake of completeness but I must say I prefer the Justin's cups. Theo's are also a dollar pricier. Judge for yrselves, if you must.

Met a friend for coupon-induced pre-holiday drinks and passed this store on the way to Lunasa. Don't know if you can read it but it made me smile: "Real Life Version of an Online Shop."

Here's my favorite baby and me, cuz I know you guys have been missing her. We are listening to the new Sleater-Kinney singles.
Take care of yrselves, guys, and do what you can for others. Peace.

21 comments:

  1. That picture of Haxan is pretty much one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Love the headphones! I'm sure snuggles with her help when you are feeling overwhelmed.

    That Mediterranean salad looks so incredible!I wish they would deliver to LI, ha! I was just saying that I randomly was craving gingerbread and then I saw your scone and now I really want it! :) love the pic of the Apple and trail mix too. I like your hibernation food... I hope you feel better soon, I'm sorry that things are overwhelming for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yeah, she's a pretty girl.
      The salad is incredible! I don't know how they good the eggplant but it's soooo good. It's huge too, and such a deal.
      Gingerbread is a funny thing to crave, but I love it. Very seasonal these days.

      Delete
  2. i am not used to seeing Haxan with her hair pulled back. Greating looking Fruit Salad. Did you really pose that Scone on a Frisbee?

    I am sorry about the Garner ruling as well (still dont quite know the facts on the Furgeson case). We had a police brutality issue near here recently where a 21-year-old male with Down Syndrome (who idolized cops btw) was 'accidentally' choked to death for being in a movie theatre past the movie he paid for. Cops were cleared. Howzat for depressing? ask your doctor about Zoloft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's depressing and disgusting. So sad. It makes me wonder how much of this stuff happens that we don't ever hear of.
      The scone is on top of a tupperware top...too lazy to dirty a plate for that photo.

      Delete
    2. I'd heard about that case, but didn't follow it long enough to hear that the cops had been cleared. The details were especially heart-wrenching. Jon Stewart raised an interesting point when he said Grand Juries do what prosecutors want them to do. Since prosecutors need to keep a good working relationships with police...

      Delete
  3. Quiet time and space to decompress is so important. I often sit in silence after periods of heavily populated interactions. I am reminded (and reminding myself!) that we cannot take care of others if we don't take care of ourselves first. It's not selfish, it's being our best!

    The air is certainly vibrating due to the recent events around the nation. I've had some rich discussions with my students about how to make change, especially when we feel so powerless.

    Love the online shop in real life! And Haxan's expression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the discussions with yr students are very thought-provoking. So sad, too, that mike Brown was so young. maybe not their ages, but close.
      Thanks for the reminder that it's okay to think about ourselves. Hope you are doing the same.

      Delete
  4. Love the kitty pic! That's too cute for words....
    How sweet you made scones for work- they sound delicious. I saw a sign outside of the DTUT coffee shop that said "bikini season is over. Get whipped cream", clever, but i don't think they meant coconut milk whip. The IRL popup is cute- although i would go for discount holiday drinks over shopping too!

    Recent events are certainly disturbing and though provoking; hopefully this can be an impetus for change and discussion so it never happens again....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I couldn't believe she let me put the headphones on her!
      The scones were okay, a little light but no one complained...
      mmmm BYO-coconut milk!

      Delete
  5. Just Linda's voice saying 'Little King Trash Mouth' cheers me up.
    Past full moon -revolution & evolution. These days are heavy. Rose quartz and peridot pressed against my chest. Lots of smoke baths and centering. Be well, M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little King Trash mouth, he's got a boyfriend.
      So many people have been asking if mercury is in retrograde, the moon is really making people feel things lately. Smoke baths sound like something I should do.
      You be well, too!

      Delete
  6. the scone looks awesome. i have one waiting for me for lunch/brunch with some coffee! i like the bob's burger sign as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Giiirl, tell me about it. This shit is depressing as hell. Went to a lovely peaceful protest last week here at the National Civil Rights Museum (where MLK was shot), and that was very powerful. Just hoping some good and positive change comes from all this.

    On a less heavy note, those scones look delicious!! Also, have you tried the Unreal cups? They're good too! And they have regular PB cups and PB-coconut-chocolate cups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bianca, it doesn't look like the Unreal cups are vegan. Did you see a vegan version?

      Delete
  8. I'm so in the same boat. Cold weather, some personal drama, and all the fucked up shit being even more magnified and condensed than usual is making me crave comfort food. Lots of vegan cookies in my life lately. I'm okay with it for now. I need the warmth.

    I went to the big protest in Boston last Tuesday. I'm glad I went. It helped alleviate some of the hopelessness. It seems like it's becoming more mainstream to accept that the cops are not great and I'm hopeful that this is the spark of an actual movement....

    solidarity in the struggle, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about that protest. So glad it went well. Things do seem to be changing.
      Hope you start feeling better soon, Raechel.

      Delete
  9. For starters, Haxan wins! I'm not sure what, but definitely a winner! I can't believe you like Justin's better; I feel like we need to have a debate because I'm so intrigued! I'm thinking that I like Theo's higher proportion of chocolate to peanut butter. And also I have really bad luck with my Justin's being powdery instead of creamy. I'm glad you tried them, although I'm sorry to have steered you wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not sure why I prefer Justin's. The chocolate is better with Theos but when Justin's are creamy, it's a better ratio.
      To each one's own...

      Delete
  10. Ferguson protests arrived in London this week. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.