Search This Blog

Monday, December 15, 2014

Birthday Feasts + Badass Friends

Hola!! Yesterday was my birthday - I'm 30 and officially old. It feels good, if slightly achy.

I took myself out to lunch at Beyond Sushi on Saturday. A spicy mang roll, plus a piece of the month (butternut squash, black rice + cilantro), and a mighty mushroom piece. Awesome as always.

I also got a black bean-sweet potato brownie to go. Very moist and dense. Very good.
After work, I ran home to shower and drop off some stuff. Then back out to meet two friends for dinner at Wild Ginger.

I got a Malaysian curry: potatoes, carrot, broccoli, soy protein with fried basil on top. After that, we headed over to a bar in Greenpoint and met up with another dear friend. It was a small group of really great people. Love you all.
My friend Alicia is the freaking best, funniest, real tawk friend.

                                                      She got me a card, zines, stickers and....

This rad cookie jar!! WITH vegan cookies inside!
Was with a friend Sunday morning, got a birthday bagel on the way back from his place.

Another pumpernickel everything with tofu cream cheese. I see them everywhere now that I know they exist. Maybe they'll make their way to Virginia.
This held me over for most of the day. I ate some birthday cookies and drank part of a green juice. Napped, read, and walked around. At 7 I got dinner with my folks at Bunna but didn't take any photos! We feasted. I'll go back soon for lunch in the natural light.
So many lovely people in my life. Thank you all. See yeh soon.

27 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Happy birthday! I turn 30 next month! Hm, I don't know much about Sagittarius; do you feel like that sign makes sense for you?

    All the food looks great, and yr friend seems awesome Love that punk rock sentiment. She should start a line of punk rock greeting cards.

    Hope you find ways to keep the celebration going. 30 deserve "birthday week" if not "birthday month."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, are you looking forward to it? I feel more like a Capricorn in most ways, but definitely have some Sagittarian influences. mostly listlessness.
      Haha, I'll tell her! She would totally make the best cards.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! And welcome to your 30s. It's actually pretty great. I'm really loving my 30s. Also, that may be the best birthday card ever. And that bagel!! You know how I feel about your bagels...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited for the next decade, I think.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday!!!! Welcome to the 30 club :) that birthday card was amazing, ha!! Love the gifts too, so much awesomeness. All of your birthday meals look incredible. Still jealous of that bagel. I've only ever seen regular plain pumpernickel and pumpernickel with raisins. Anyway, happy happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpernickel with raisins sounds okay. Sometimes I think to get a cinnamon raisin, but I think I like my bagels more savory.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday!!! Didnt even know your bday was in December. Major fail on my part. Which Wild Ginger did you go to? I appreciate the nicety that those Pumpernickel Everything Bagels are gonna make to Virginia, but I kniw better. Since it is your bday week, I wont ask whatever happened to G? Did he go Hollywood when his book got published? No going back to correct without retryping this whole thing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my aunt forgot too, if that's any consolation. (I know you were despairing.) This was the Wild Ginger on Bedford ave. It's most centrally located, I think.
      G is still doing his thing in Brooklyn, we just don't talk so often anymore.

      Delete
    2. That is a bummer (about G, not your aunt forgetting your bday)

      Delete
  5. happy birthday! it looks like you had good food and good times with friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, very enjoyable and low-key which was nice.

      Delete
  6. Happyhappyhappy!!! The best is yet to come....

    What a great beyond sushi lunch! That sounds like such a great and delicous weekend of celebration :)
    And that bagel is the very epitome of an Noo Yawk bagel and schmeer. Beautiful.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Welcome to the officially old club! Here is your complimentary bottle of tanninless gin. :) That sushi lunch looks pretty damn sweet! And I still cannot let a bagel go by without drooling all over it, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's the tannins that do you in, is it? Good to know!

      Delete
  8. December birthdays are the best! mine's in eleven days and counting. Welcome to your thirties -way better than the chaos & confusion of the twenties and I'm told forties trumps thirties - a toast to hear on up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy early birthday! Hope you get to hang out with some horses.

      Delete
  9. Yay! Happy Birthday! You made some strong birthday eating choices, I think I would be all over Beyond Sushi every day if I lived in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been in a while, and try not to, as it's kind of pricey but this was a celebration :)

      Delete
  10. HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYY!!!! i hope you had an awesome day, and from the looks of it, you did! :D cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And another happy birthday! As birthday cake goes, I'm tipping my hat to the very punk brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday! That's a lot of awesome b-day eats! I especially like the cookie jar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me too! I brought cookies to work to show off and brag about the jar.

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday!!!! Over a week late! I really must get on the computer more. I hope it's ok that you turning 30 actually makes me feel younger, now that we're both in our 30's. HA! Merry Christmas if I don't say it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad to be in the group with you. merry Christmas to you and yr family as well!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.