Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Good Food Day

In Shen's words, Monday was "a good food day."

I was out and about early doing errands and pretty hungry, somehow not having eaten since the previous afternoon, so I stopped at Little Skips for an everything pumpernickel bagel with Tofutti and coffee. Hit the spotttt on a brisk morning.
Blah blah, library, bank, groceries, back home to make a stir fry for lunch:

rice, celery, mushroom, eggplant, carrot, spinach, scallion, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes in coconut oil.
Out for a walk, stopped at Rudy's Bakery in the hood for a vegan brownie.


There was an undocumented dinner of broccoli, tempeh, and avocado in lemon-tahini dressing that was meh but this gingerbread dessert smoothie sooooooooooo made up for it. Amazing!

Based the drink on this recipe, but mine was just banana, milk, spices (ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg), and molasses - no nuts or dates. I would love to drink this everyday until Christmas. And maybe past then.
ALL VERY ACCEPTABLE. Talk to yahs later.

11 comments:

  1. An Everything Pumpernickel Bagel? Seriously? Did you order that because you wanted it or because you wanted to torture me? I will assume both,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had said I wanted a Pumpernickel and the woman behind the counter asked, "Did you mean Pumpernickel, or Everything Pumpernickel?" and I was like Hmmmm YA KNOW WHAT...
      it was just fate. And it was goooood.

      Delete
  2. Everything pumpernickel?!?! Why is this bagel not in my life? So much jealousy. Your stir fry looks amazing. For some reason I can't get eggplant to the right texture when I stir fry it. I have a serious chocolate craving and that brownie looks like it would hit the spot. I have to try that smoothie, it sounds so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started seeing them around more often! They're great if you can find em.
      Thanks! I think the key to a good textured eggplant is to put it in first - I cooked it even before the celery and carrot - and to make sure there is enough liquid (like oil, water, soy sauce, or vinegar.)
      Hope you try the smoothie, I loved it.

      Delete
  3. A bit of squash in that smoothie and I'd be drinking it every day too. At first I totally thought the bagel was a heart shaped-cream filled chocolate, and I was wondering what the seeds and bits were - apparently I am very tired right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that; I wish it were a sweet treat - been craving them tooo much lately.
      The smoothie would DEFINITELY be amazing with a scoop of canned pumpkin in it. Yes. maybe next time.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous food day!! Apparently there are pumpernickle everything bagels at baz bagels on the les- i will get one asap, that sounds dreamy... A proper cooked hot lunch is so comforting in the winter, especially a homemade one. I could not live near large amazing vegan brownies. That would be a serious problem. Nice smoothie combo! I wonder if i could just swap in soft tofu for the banana.....i love the flavor of molasses this time of year
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to go to the LES for the mooshoes pop up today but trains have been so crappy lately, and on the weekend especially, I didn't risk it! Oh well. But next time I'm down there, I'll check out that bagelry.
      Yes, the soft tofu would most likely work instead of banana! Banana adds a sweetness, but it was plenty sweet from the molasses anyway.

      Delete
  5. I misread the ingredients of the smoothie and thought you had managed to milk a banana for a second. That would have been a triumph. Mind you, the smooth looks pretty darn good without the banana shenanigans nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana milk sounds really good! I'd drink that.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, you old person. Just kidding. 30 is so young — trust me, I know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.