Search This Blog

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Spoooooky Sick

Those antibiotics made me sick :( I have been drinking lots of tea and chewing raw garlic (before I go to bed so as not to breathe it on everyone.)

                                        Roasted dandelion root tea with a ghost emerging

                                            Hot lemon water with ginger in the mornings

                                  Echinacea and throat comfort teas during the day at work

I made Kathy's pumpkin pie pillow cookies. I don't have a great blender so these were still sort of chunky, but they're filling and slightly sweet. You know what that means: breakfast cookie.

Lunch and snack from most of the week: steamed kale, adzuki beans, squash slices, chimichurri sauce. Farmer's market apples.
On Halloween, the store bought pizza for its employees. They do that occasionally to thank us for all our work, or something, rather than giving us better benefits or a living wage. Or even buying food that everyone can partake of. The one other vegan (that I know of) at work and I made faces at each other while everyone else scarfed pizza. Later in the day, he bought me a Justin's PB cup package because HE IS A SWEETHEART.

Vegan solidarity, yo. That's what I'm talking about. I tried to give him a cookie, but he declined. I'll get him back when he least expects it.
So, I ate the candy (who am I to turn down a gift?) and did other things maybe not so conducive to healing a slight cold, like go up to the roof to do magic in the rain under cloud cover.

And stay up too late drinking spiced gin and taking selfies.
But today I make soup and drink more tea. Already got an extra hour of sleep in, so I should be good soon....

20 comments:

  1. Oh no, hope you're feeling better. Whenever I take antibiotics, I always eat plenty of yogurt to replace the good bacteria that got killed off. Bummer on the work pizza, at least you have a really sweet co-worker. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try to eat yogurt! miso soup, too. It just wasn't enough, I guess.
      The co-workers there are pretty much all very good people, yep.

      Delete
  2. i dont know about you, but after i finish a course of antibiotics, I always get a yeast infection. TMI? i dunno, i thought from that selfie that you looked like might have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor told me that happens to a lot of people, but luckily I didn't. I think the selfie face is a combination of drunk and freezing.

      Delete
  3. I thought antibiotics would make you feel better - yuck! Hope you are on the mend soon.

    Acidophilus = no infection, Shen! ;)

    Spiced gin also sounds like a great cure all.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they healed my infection but fucked up my normal body's way of dealing with colds, I guess. Bodies are weird.
      I thought the gin would help too :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you get better -dig into some sauerkraut! Fantastic stormy sky shot -great energy to draw down... with gin mmm juniper berries. Gin's got so many herbs in it, it's practically medicinal. Love the handle on your tea mug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yea, sauerkraut is awesome. I could get into that.
      Thanks! I like that mug a lot.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, I'm sorry you're sick! : (

    That was really nice of your vegan co-worker. Also, who needs fair working conditions when you can get cheesy 'ZA?!

    What do you put in your spiced gin? Or do you buy it spiced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a political anti-pizza poem a couple years ago, haha. It makes me so angry that they do that.
      The gin had cinnamon, dried orange peel, and chopped ginger in it that I let sit for about a month and then strained out. I give them out for Christmas gifts sometimes.

      Delete
    2. oh my gosh, i love the sound of that gin! i think i might steal that for xmas gifts!

      Delete
  6. Oh no, I'm so sorry you are sick!! Sounds like you are taking care of yourself with a combination of healthy foods and comfort foods. I love tea, when I'm sick and how nice of your co-worker to gift the pb cups. I love the rooftop pic and the selfish, your hair is getting long!! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I like it most of the time. Other times I want to cut it all off. I'm sure you know what that feels like.

      Delete
  7. I hope you feel better soon; spiced gin to the rescue! When we have larger pizza events at work they always order a cheeseless veggie pie (womp womp) and I have to elbow my way to get a slice before the omnis eat it all! But, at least it's ordered...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, yea, that would be a nice option to have. If you have to fight omnis for cheeseless veggie, maybe they'd be better off ordering more of it and less disgusting pepperoni.

      Delete
  8. Feel better. Colds are the worst but magic in the rain is the best! Also what a sweet co-worker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who gives me chocolate is ok in my book.

      Delete
  9. Feel better! We definitely do an "all the soup and lemon and greens" regimen for any sickness whatever. And hot toddies! I would totally give the spiced gin a try too -- sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i hope you feel better! dark choc pb cups are a sure fire remedy for nearly everything :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.