Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Prep ---> Soup

Monday was a super productive prep day. Actually, a pretty productive day in general - laundry, cleaning, mucho prep, reading, finished a movie (The Master - have you guys seen it? I know I'm years late.)
Breakfast:

                                  DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS? It's satsuma time!!!!

Second breakfast, my favorite leisurely meal. GF toast with cashew butter, banana and cinnamon. Coffee.
Ventured into the rain for groceries.

                            parsnips, carrots, butternut squash, lentils, lemons, Justin's cups

                                  2 bunches of kale, beets, avocado, olive oil. Total: $25.35

                                                              Rainy day pants-splash

Prep center. On the left is Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats from Around the World by Allyson Kramer. The right is Isa Does It. At one point, I had three cookbooks open.

I'll show you the Isa meal later. That night, that cold rainy night, was all about Lemon-Rice Soup from Allyson Kramer.

I've been obsessed with trying this Greek(ish) avgolemono(ish) soup since seeing Gena's adaptation two years ago. I like that Gena's includes tahini but this version was thickened with chickpea flour! Like magic.
Talk to yehs soon.

18 comments:

  1. Parsnips?! What the...?!

    Hope you wiped up all the mud you tracked in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't no mud in these parts. It's all sidewalk.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good soaking! If Mondays have to exist, they should only exist as you have experienced it - productive at home. The Lemon Rice Soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my jacket was still wet the next day!
      rainy mondays are sweatpants and food prep days.

      Delete
  3. Um... You sure that resting the cookbooks on the radiatior is the best idea?!? Don't wanna see a post about your apt going up in flames..!
    Yesterday was such a soggy gross day, perfect for soup. I actually made a version of that same lemony soup recently! I actually blended it all together with the lemon and rice and added a can of canellini beans to be sure it was more filling. exciting to see the satsuma!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jeeeez. Sorry about all those exclamation marks (!) i'm really not an obnoxiously upbeat perky person i swear...

      Delete
    2. Haha, we're all safe in any case.
      Blending the soup sounds great. That might be what this one needed. It was filling enough without beans, but I did consider tossing chickpeas in... Where did you find yr recipe?

      Delete
  4. Forget about the rain, I really like your boots and the color of your laces! Nice haul - I love that the olive oil is called 'Robusto' it sounds like a super hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The boots are actually soo busted, I have tape on the inside to close up the holes! Need new ones, probably.
      I liked Robusto too!

      Delete
    2. Try an adhesive called Aquaseal - it's for scuba suits but you can find it at any outdoor gear store. I use it on my winter boots and it's million times better than Shoe Goo.

      Delete
  5. Eat all the kale! ALL THE KAAALE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your now obsessed with Justin's almond butter cups!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's the only place in my hood that sells them so when I see them, I grab em!

      Delete
  7. Blogger ate my comment :( I basically said hooray for productive Mondays! I had a productive and pants soaked Monday too :) your meals looks great, especially that amazing toast and soup, yum! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you changed into something warmer and drier later :)

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.