Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Fruits of my Labor

A pretty morning moon, before the repetitiveness of the week, and every week pretty much:


Breakfast and snack:

I baked two loaves of spiced pumpkin bread using the recipe in Joni Marie Newman's Vegan Food Gifts, which ended up having a lot of substitutions including for the ummm...pumpkin.

                         Alternate breakfast - GF toast, avocado, black salt, cayenne pepper.

Lunch - spinach, roasted squash, parsnip, raw sunflower seeds with tahini, black pepper, and Braggs.

Alternate lunch: Isa's marinated kale salad with roasted butternut squash and lentils. Love it. The kale marinade has garlic and ginger alongside the usual suspects. I've topped it with cayenne or nooch.

Dinner: Lemon-rice soup, with spinach added, as well as a spoonful of tahini to thicken. Fresh black pepper on top.
What more could anyone want? Variety, maybe. Tomorrow night I should be cooking up some more things.

13 comments:

  1. I will always favor breakfast over any meal and your breakfasts look so incredible. Gotta love that avocado toast. Yum! The salads are lovely and the soup looks perfect for the cold weather we've been having. Looking forward to seeing what you cook up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toast never disappoints. The soup was pretty good too.

      Delete
  2. Ha! Do tell - what was the substitution for pumpkin in the pumpkin bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, I had some pumpkin...but not enough. So I ended up adding two bananas to make up the difference - maybe this was more of a pumpkin banana bread. I also didn't have enough sugar, or quite the right kind of flour....Still very good!

      Delete
  3. Nice to find big skies and morning moons in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. If only I could see more of it.

      Delete
  4. I never eat avocado in the winter; what is wrong with me? Your kale marinade looks divine and what a great idea to put the tahini in the broth. I *think* I remember cooking, but it was so long ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem counter-intuitive. There are fewer ripe ones, but they're fine after sitting out a couple days. The waaaaiiiting is the hardest part.

      Delete
  5. Still into the Tahini i see. It's been so dry this week, I have actually been thinking about that Avocado Face Mask you posted about last winter. Enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always and forever!
      Thanks for the reminder about the mask. I've been using argan oil to moisturize recently, but it's not really what I want.

      Delete
  6. I've got to ask the obvious question - what was the pumpkin subbed for?! In the meantime, avo on toast = yes.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.