Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2014

Date with IKEA

Just kidding!!! I can't stand IKEA, but I can't hold off on Pavement references. Sunday I took myself on a lunch date! It was a gorgeous day and I spent a lot of it biking around. I biked out to my folks' house (to help clean for Thanksgiving - didn't get any cat photos, but I will on Thursday) and back. When I got home my roommate and her dude had been cooking and were in the living room, so I kinda wanted to stay out of their hair as well as eat some food without making too much noise in the kitchen. So back out on the bike it was.
I remembered having passed/heard good things about Co Co Lin on Fresh Pond Road in my neighborhood, and it was in the direction I was bike-wandering anyway.



It seemed they were doing fairly brisk take-out/pick up business, but there is also ample seating inside.

As soon as I sat down, the waitress brought me some warm green tea, which was awesome! It was a little after 4 at this point and cooling down. I was considering ordering some green tea anyway, but free is even better.
After briefing looking over the menu, I went with the spicy Ma Po Tofu, which came with a side of brown rice (unpictured.) Usually I like something with more vegetables, but after not eating all day, and all that cleaning and biking, I was huuuuungry. Spicy, warm, and high in protein won out. It was weird seeing meat items listed on the menu before I realized that everything in the restaurant really is vegetarian (and probably mostly vegan seeing as how so little dairy is used in Asian cooking.)


This was really good. A huge serving, too. Soft tofu, nice and saucy - plenty to cover the rice on the side as well. I got a refill of the green tea and really enjoyed just sitting and reading (Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay) and taking my time. I so rarely eat out alone - I rarely dine out in general - but this was a chill atmosphere. The dish was 8 dollars and could easily have been spread into two meals, so it's not all that expensive either. Definitely will be returning.

Co Co Lin
64-19 Fresh Pond Road
Ridgewood, NY 11385
11am - 10:30pm (most days)

18 comments:

  1. That MaPo Tofu looks absolutely phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that tofu looks extra special!!!!!!!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect way to spend a beautiful Sunday! The ma po tofu looks so good and extra points for free green tea! Ill have to check this place out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoyable day. Do check it out, if you can.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They should serve free lingonberry tea for people to walk around with.

      Delete
  5. Mmmm... great choice!! It looks like great weather for all of that activity, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I got it in when I did, it's freezing and rainy now.

      Delete
  6. Ma Po Tofu is always my top choice for Chinese menus, but I see way too many people putting beef in it. Bah. Also - lunch dates with yourself are a cracking idea. You know the company's always going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ma po beef sounds like an abomination!
      Yes, no better company than yr own damn self...and a book. Sometimes beer helps, but green tea is good enough.

      Delete
  7. Nice on all counts: biking, trying new places, mostly vegan. Win-win-win!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have become an eating out alone convert! For the longest time it was this scary idea and then my friend had an emergency and couldn't meet me for our wine and dinner date so i just stayed alone- very calming and something very luxurious about the whole situation! Highly recommended you do so frequently!!
    Biking weather seems to be fading fast... :/ how is G lately?
    Hope your Tofurky day is full of friends and family and good eats!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary to me too; I'm weird about going to places for the first time alone especially but it may become a thing.
      I'm sure G is fine, we broke up and don't really talk anymore but Thanksgiving was wonderful with friends and family. Hope yrs was enjoyable too! Did you go out to eat? That seems like a very manhattan thing to do.

      Delete
  9. There's always room for a Pavement reference! The Ma Po tofu looks so good. That was always my go-to meal back when I delivered Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.