Search This Blog

Thursday, October 30, 2014

More Treats than Tricks

In between bowls of kale and pumpkin or yogurt,

Pumpernickel bagel with tofu cream cheese. I asked for scallion tofu cream cheese, but whatever.

Liz Lovely triple chocolate mint cookie. Good but very sweet. Also, I didn't realize these were gluten-free til later. I'm also a fan of the Ginger Snapdragon flavor.

made baba ganoush with an eggplant I bought impulsively. Lots of lemon juice, garlic, and tahini. (They make the world go 'round.)


                                                       with raw broccoli for dinner
On a lazy morning off, I made pumpkin pancakes with a recipe on the back of the Pumpkin Spice So Delicious coconut milk.

Pretty tasty if not entirely pretty. Ate these two with maple syrup (not necessary, though) and one more plain. Froze about eight more for the week.
Also, months ago, I promised a few people I'd post the recipe for the DIY green tea toner I use. Totally forgot about it, but I made more on Monday, so:

For 12 oz. of toner (which will last you a long time - I store mine in the fridge) I brew a little less than 9 oz. double strength green tea and let it cool. Remove the tea bags and squeeze out extra liquid, discard bags. Then I add about 3 oz. apple cider vinegar and about 1 1/2 tsp. of tea tree oil. Shake before use, and dab on with a cotton ball. The kvass bottle is just what I store it in!
I'm not big on make-up which is why I especially love skin care products but I have sensitive skin so I have to be careful with what I use. Am replacing this Bare Bones cleanser soon also - I don't feel like DIYing with glycerin, for some reason. The BB toner also sounds nice but that I could probably make myself.
Soooooo what're everyone's Halloween plans??

16 comments:

  1. No matter what i do or how hard I try, I will never be able to recreate that NY Bagel with Schmear. Just cant be done.

    I was planning to make Pumpkin Pancakes as well, so dont think I am just copying you when I do that. Only when I do the Bagel and Cream Cheese, then it's about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the texture of the tofu cc bagel shops here use is different from what you can buy, to be fair. It still looks pretty good when you try.
      Waiting on those pancakes you totally copied from my very original idea.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I was already wanting a bagel (Q: is there ever a time I actually DON'T want a bagel?) but now I Really want a bagel!

    My halloween plans are to eat nice dinner and drink some tasty cocktails. Or beer. Beer is more likely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always want a bagel too. :(
      Ooh! There's lots of good fall beers out, but autumnal cocktails (like I KNOW you know how to whip up) are really my favorite.

      Delete
  3. My comment disappeared :( basically I said that all of these treats look amazing. The pumpkin pancakes look like they came out great and I could definitely go for a pumpernickel bagel. The cookie looks great, I found my chocolate peppermint milk and I can't wait to drink some :)

    I love that you made the toner! Is it gentle? I'm always so afraid to try that because my skin is so sensitive and I have a bit of rosacea. I'm always looking to diy as much as possible though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the treats, the Liz Lovely cookie was my faaavorite. I don't usually buy those, but maybe now I will. Imagine that cookie dunked into yr chocolate peppermint milk?
      The toner could be more gentle if you use less ACV. It stings slightly but it doesn't bother my skin after it dries.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I love the pumpernickel (even without the Shen Special), and all of that pumpkin deliciousness!!

    I use Witch Hazel, as it is the only toner that doesn't sting my face off. But I tip my hat to you for making your own! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, the one the lady who makes the Bare Bones toner uses witch hazel. I ought to try that too, it sounds nice.

      Delete
  5. A couple times a week I take a shower, that's about it. ahhaha I am the laziest. I do remember washing my face more regularly in the city; maybe country grime is cleaner?
    I'm welcoming in samhain by working the door at an event in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hear you. In the winter I shower maybe 3x a week, not that it's all that much more often in the summer, haha. It's too drying for my skin! I'm to busy to be clean! But country grime is definitely cleaner than even city air.
      Sounds like a wonderful evening.

      Delete
  6. Love pumpernickle bagels. I had an everything with hummus and pickles last week but now i need a pumpernickle. Why don't they make a rye bagel? I'm impressed by your baba- i tried a few times and never got it quite right so i stick with Abraham's. Best ever might be the one sahadi's makes if you're ever that way.
    Your diy toner is impressive! I don't even use toner.... I'm a recent convert to facial cleansing oils and am loving it these past few weeks
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickles and hummus on a bagel? Interesting. I love hummus but I think I prefer it on something not quite as dense as a bagel. AbbyBean has said something about a pumpernickel bagel that maybe has rye? At bagels on the square, I think.
      I think the key to good baba is lots of tahini. Never bought it from Sahadis, but I loooove that place. Am due for a return visit.
      What kind of cleansing oils do you use? You just rub them in and leave them on?

      Delete
    2. Yes! Thin schmear of hummus, plus slices of dill pickle (because other pickles suck) and sometimes thin red onion. Seriously good. Very filling.
      I use a moroccan argan oil cleasing oil- its crazy cuz you rub into dry skin, then rinse off with warm water. Leaves my face super soft and hydrated!

      Delete
  7. I am an American man, and I have decided to boycott American women. In a nutshell, American women are the most likely to cheat on you, to divorce you, to get fat, to steal half of your money in the divorce courts, don’t know how to cook or clean, don’t want to have children, etc. Therefore, what intelligent man would want to get involved with American women?

    American women are generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste. The behavior of most American women is utterly disgusting, to say the least.

    This blog is my attempt to explain why I feel American women are inferior to foreign women (non-American women), and why American men should boycott American women, and date/marry only foreign (non-American) women.

    BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN!

    www.boycottamericanwomen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just gonna leave this here because wow.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.