Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Magic and Meals

Monday was a very productive day off.

                                           Woke up to some sneaky sun, did laundry early.

Recharged some emotionally overloaded crystals in salt water in the sun. Obsidian on the left heals grief, amethyst provides balance. Gripped both of these a lot in the last month and am finally feeling happier and more clear-headed. Wanted them to be energized for Halloween.

Breakfast was a smoothie, believe it or not. Spinach, almond milk, frozen banana, and marley coffee Raw Fit protein powder (on Raechel's recommendation - and please go check out her latest post. It's important.)
Then I went grocery shopping to make this week's lunch recipe...

                        Always Be Soaking!! (when you can afford to buy raw cashews, that is)
I made Isa's Cheddary Broccoli Soup from Isa Does It! (Are you surprised?) Looks like I am working my way through all the soups in that book.

Innnnncredible. Filling and tangy and warm and perfect. Do you like my little roasted broccoli topping?
Later I read and went into the city to meet with a co-worker to assemble a zine for work. Our store is in the middle of contract negotiations so we are trying to inspire solidarity, as well as get the word out to the employees what it is exactly that we're voting on. I think it came together pretty nicely:


Dinner was half of this Dandi Detox Rawpothecary drink, which I do NOT recommend. They add pineapple and coconut water in an attempt to cover the bitterness of dandelion greens and parsley. I expected the drink to be slightly bitter, but the flavors just didn't work together. There are also blended raspberries in the drink, which didn't quite blend. The drink needs to be strained or something because I actually choked on the texture. Rough going. There's got to be a better way to detox.


Til next time, eat those greens and try not to go wild on the Halloween candy. Or do, whatever. I'm heading out to watch baseball with a friend so who am I to tell people what to do?

17 comments:

  1. That soup looks fabulous. I actually found a bunch of cashews in the back of the freezer yesterday -- it's clearly time to start soaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stellar post. Surprised there arent 20 comments on it by now.

    Especially enjoyed reading how you gagged on the raw juice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, cheesy broccoli soup would sure hit the spot right about now... That sounds absolutely wonderful. It just so happens that I do have cashews soaking right now, and while they were intended for another use, I might just need to subvert them for a greater calling... I don't think it gets any greater than a warming, creamy soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best season is soup season. I even push it a little early.

      Delete
  4. Sweet zine cover! Rad you're doing it to clarify the terms of negotiating, I glaze over reading my unions doc's.
    Nice reminder to wash out my stones. I've been carrying malachite in my pocket, sometimes a cube of hematite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, a co-worker drew the cover. Talented dude.
      Ooh, what do malachite and hematite do? I'm headed into the city to pick up more supplies :)

      Delete
    2. Hematite for grounding- blood stone connected to the root. I also love the cube I have, it's shiny silver/black. I roll it around on my fingers in my jacket pocket.
      Malachite is also grounding and protective but connected to the heart. I just discovered I can use the pockets in my sports bra -where I pulled out the totally unnecessary padding- and keep the malachite pressed up against my heart. Whether it's placebo or not anything that helps me feel safe and open is a good thing :)

      Delete
  5. cooking through all of isa's soups sounds like a great plan! I'm a fan of the bulk bins raw cashew pcs at fairway- i've seen raw cashews in chinatown groceries too btw, sold in packages for really cheap.
    Ugh! What a disappointing one from rawpothecary! I love the sweet and spicy and their kalifornia flavors, they are really thick but usually that's a good thing.
    Awesome illustration for the zine.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many awesome soups and curries in that book. She's great at them. Not sure where the closest Fairway to me is, but I'll look into it - thanks!

      Delete
  6. I have yet to add crystals to my list of hippie/witchy rituals. I have to get on that. Thanks for the inspiration!

    And glad you got the coffee PP! So good, right? (and thanks for the post-love. xoxox)

    And that ZINE! Good luck on negotiations! Solidarity forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I find them very calming to grip in my pocket, like a secret.
      Love the protein powder, thanks again.

      Delete
  7. Ya know, I just can't do dandelion greens or parsley. Even when covered up! I have half a mind to pull out my blender and make a smoothie because it has been in the upper 70s for a week. Total smoothie weather.

    Awesome zine cover! I really like the dragon detail!

    Checking out the recommended link now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to eat them both but they're very overpowering in a juice, I've found. They're so good for you though!

      Delete
  8. I'm all about that soup, it looks incredible!! I keep saying I need to get Isa Does It and I guess I'll just have to say it again after seeing that! Amazing. That detox drink does not sound appetizing to me. I'm still trying to make myself really enjoy green juice so I'm not very adventurous with my flavors and the dandelion and parsley don't sound appetizing to me. Love the crystals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put the book on yr holiday list! It's awesome.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.