Search This Blog

Monday, October 27, 2014

Isa's Pumpkin Chimichurri Bowl

I love productive cooking projects. Actually, all cooking projects are productive in that they lead to a finished product, so, okay, I love cooking. But especially multi-step projects.

Step 1, get obsessed with a recipe you read in Bust, cut the recipe up for a collage by accident, wait for Isa Does It to fiiiiinnnnallly come out in book form
Step 2, forget about the recipe, but buy the book anyway because duh, it's Isa
Step 3, remember the recipe but have to wait until squash season
Step 4, a year later, soak beans before work
Step 5, run amok at the farmers market, haul kale and 6 lbs. of squash home (it was the smallest one I found!)
Step 6, put beans on, run to grocery store for the rest of the stuff you need, fret about the beans boiling over and yr apartment exploding in the 15 minutes you are out
Step 7, return home, run back and forth between bedroom (where the cookbook is) and kitchen (where the food is) checking on the recipe before you realize you should bring the cookbook into the kitchen
Step 8, finally make up yr mind to skip the party you were going to go to because SQUASH and also SOCIAL ANXIETY and it's too late anyway because you always do shit like this to psych yrself out
Step 9, text a friend to come over because you don't want to be entirely alone
Step 10, manically chop + roast squash, check on beans, wash, chop, and puree herbs
Step 11, remember a friend is coming over like SOON, put project on hold, shower, re-dress, clean kitchen, hide all evidence of ever eating food ever
Step 12, the next day, realize that a three-component recipe is NBD and does not have to be 15 steps if you calm down a little
Step 13, boil noodles, steam kale
Step 14, enjoy the fruits of yr labor
Step 15, wonder what the hell to do with the rest of a 6 lb. squash

                     "Is that, like, a really messed up pumpkin?" asked three people yesterday

                                     This is only half the squash. What do I do with the rest??

Awesome chimichurri sauce: parsley, cilantro, red wine vinegar, pepitas, garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, water

The final product with soba noodles, adzuki beans, and steamed kale underneath.
Isa's original recipe doesn't include kale, but we could always use more greens. She also calls for black beans, but I needed adzukis for another recipe and a bean is a bean is a bean. Not sure why I was so fixated on buying a red kuri squash, but I'm glad I did. I could swear when I saw the recipe in Bust magazine originally, that's what was called for but in Isa Does It, she just says "pumpkin."
In any case, another great dish from an awesome cookbook that is constantly proving itself. Now I won't have to take photos of lunch all week, because this will be it.

22 comments:

  1. Squash!! YAY. I agree re greens: practically every dish could use more. As for what to do with the rest of the squash: roast, mash, & 1. make into soup with cashew cream, or 2. mix with some super-savory sauteed onion, carrot, celery, etc. & use as a side, or 3. make a pumpkin except not actually pumpkin pie, or 4. black bean and squash enchiladas!! or 5. just stick in the freezer for future squash endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum to all. Wasn't sure if freezing it would work, but thanks.

      Delete
  2. This post is delightful and you are the charming-est. And that food looks GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I relate to this in so many ways, particularly 7 and 8. If I find myself starting a time sensitive project it's sure to coincide with social obligations. Winter squashes are the best of all foods. I eat so much of it this time of year, stocking up on my night vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! This was a great new squash. The skin is edible too, so that's nice.

      Delete
  4. Shizz, that squash is like the size of a wrestler's head or something. I'm worried it's going to come alive in the night. Still, I'm loving the chimichurri. Sweet, sweet chimichurri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah! So heavy I almost dropped it on the way out of work, too. I almost had to cry.

      Delete
  5. This is a thing of beauty and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this grand notion that company shouldn't see any evidence of cooking. Anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or smell it. But there was a lot of garlic in the chimichurri.

      Delete
  6. Sweet! I was trying to think of something to make with all the little baking pumpkins I see for sale now. This is it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh, I remember seeing this in Bust forever ago! That looks delicious. Squash is very intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean to cut? This wasn't so bad, but I was verrrry careful. Butternuts are more unwieldy for me.

      Delete
  8. The pumpkin certainly makes for a beautiful meal - so colorful! Chimichurri is one sauce that has always intimidated me. It still does. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't! I mean, chopping all the herbs was a little tedious but this makes a lot and it's awwweesome.

      Delete
  9. Ha! Way to make something more complicated than it needs to be ;)
    Totally relate to the beans exploding on the stove fear. Looks like a really awesome meal to have for lunches all week though- and the greens addition is totally necessary.
    With the rest of the squash you could make a curry, or roast and puree and add to baked oatmeal, or make a (not) pumpkin chili, or just eat roasted wedges drizzled with sesame oil and soy sauce. Love wintery squashes!
    Ttrockwood
    Ps
    Haven't tried savory teas yet, i seem to drink miso and hot veggie juices for savory beverages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That;s what I do. And I do it well.
      Pumpkin chili. That's what I want. Yes.

      Delete
  10. Now I am in the mood to whip up a batch of pumpkin pancakes - they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were pretty good. Happy to have them for the week.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.