Search This Blog

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Beans n' Stuff

Not much cooking going on over here lately. A big pot of beans was the theme for the week.

Probably the last of the farmer's market tomatoes for me. Got a big bag for 2 dollars. Here with broccoli, white beans, olive oil, s+p.

                                       spinach, white beans, pumpkin, treeline nut cheese

a really pretty yellow and red farmar tomato, spinach, white beans, tahini and ACV dressing.

                                             Avocado, broccoli, tomatoes, scallion

Stirfry. Still trying to use up a huge head of cabbage. Carrot, rice, cabbage, mushroom, scallion, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, rice vinegar, soy sauce.

                   a breakfast: coconut vanilla yogurt with cashew butter and goji berries.

a dinner: miso soup with spinach, mushroom, scallion, tofu, spices, seaweed and sesame oil

                                 some cool graffiti on a movie poster featuring, guess what

I went to a hear Dorothea Lasky read from her new book of poetry last week. I love her stuff and this book is maybe my favorite of hers. She is super super sweet and signed it for me. Orange is a recurring color/theme in the book, so it seemed appropriate to drink it alongside a Shipyard Pumpkinhead beer.
Til next time.

19 comments:

  1. A girl came into our shop looking for Dorothea Lasky today, sadly we didn't have any. Love that graffiti, my sentiments exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad! Everyone ought to have free access to Dorothea Lasky's work at all times!

      Delete
  2. Like pumpkin from the can? In your salad? Huh. That's a new one. I'll give it a go. Cooked from scratch beans are the best-i was gifted some fancy rancho gordo beans that finally made me understand the bean lovers a while back so now i cook them more often.
    Poetry and beer is a great pairing!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Canned pumpkin. It was good, but I love that stuff anyway. I eat it straight sometimes but it worked especially well with the tangy cheese.
      I slightly undercooked these beans, what a bummer to have to eat it all week.

      Delete
  3. That graffiti made me laugh so hard. I love it and I agree ;) The salads all look amazing, the farmer's market tomatoes look really good. Are they still tasting good or are looks deceiving at this point? I have to say my favorite meal is definitely the soup, it looks incredible! I really need to make some miso soup soon. What kind of seaweed did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't even remember or care what movie it was an ad for, that graffiti would be pertinent on like millions of different ads.
      These tomatoes were fantastic. Ate some beautiful green ones just popping them into my mouth.
      The seaweed is wakame.

      Delete
  4. I am always impressed with your imaginative salads. They are like poetry in a bowl.

    It is always cool to have an author sign a book, but then you have to keep it forever. Did you have her personalize it, or just sign it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a compliment. The broccoli and tomato one was not the best, but let's pretend it was better.
      She signed it to me but misspelled my name and when I pointed it out she rewrote really big on top of it, haha.

      Delete
    2. I can be nice on occasion.

      Sounds like she totally trashed your book.

      Delete
    3. Yes, and I love her for it!!!

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to make miso soup for a while now; it's like I made it once and now I want it but can't be bothered to go buy more kombu! Ha! A friend gave me five tomatoes from her garden just last week. I have no idea what season we're in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha a little kombu goes a long way, no?

      Delete
  6. i need pumpkin beer! seriously i do not drink beer but should try some!

    last night i played with pumpkin in my dinner. i did a coconut-pumpkin curry soup. pumpkin is just so magical this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good beer. Slightly sweet. Pumpkin-coconut curry sounds amazing!! I love sweet potato in curries, and imagine it's similar. Did you use whole pumpkin or the canned stuff?

      Delete
  7. Top marks for the salad creativity, and bonus ones for vegan beer selection. Not enough vegan beer on blogs, or indeed in life. Avocado and brocc for me.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.