Search This Blog

Monday, September 8, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014, Day 6: Can You Smell What the Wak is Cooking??

Just kidding, Wak didn't cook anything but we did eat some delicious food anyway.
On Sunday, my friend Joe (of Wakalicious fame - I won't link to it in case there's a bunch of meat on the blog again) came into the city from Long Island to haaaaang. Our friend Cyrus came out too and it was a reggelah reunion (we all used to work together)!
Cyrus and I got some drinks at Shade Bar in the West Village while we waited for Joe.


Then we went around the corner to Meskerem for Ethiopian food, which Cyrus (and maybe Joe too?) had never eaten before.

                                                     Downstairs on MacDougal St.
Joe and Cyrus both got wine and sambosa appetizers. I didn't get a photo of those... just drank my water.

This was my plate - collards, shro wat (ground chickpeas) and spiced lentils over injera. Usually when Greg and I go here we split a vegetarian sampling so it was hard to pick just one dish. And then have to eat it all myself.


      This is Joe's dish - collards, miser alech, and lentils. Cyrus got lamb tibs!!! So no photo.

                             When we got there, it was empty but filled up as we were leaving.
We almost got coffee after the meal, but opted for more beer. We walked over to Coal Yard Bar in the East Village and got lit. Cheap dive bar with a yard. Cool place.
Here's Joe's fancy outfit. Right next to some city garbage. Peep those shoes.


THANKS FOR HANGING OUT GUYS.

17 comments:

  1. The portions look very sizeable for not getting the Sampler. Glad you are still MoFoing.

    So I saw your place of work this weekend in the movie 'They Came Together' Did you get to see Paul Rudd when they filmed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Sorry. They film a lot of movies in and outside the store.. I am oblivious most of the time, and working in the basement all of the time so chances are not.
      But they filmed a Robert Pattinson movie there and they cordoned the first floor off so we wouldn't ogle him. Lame! As if!

      Delete
  2. Nice looking platter! I've not been to an Ethiopian restaurant, but I'm aware that hands are the utensils, yes? Do you tear off a piece of the injera and scoop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah, blogger ate my comment! The jist of it was basically that I've never been to an Ethiopian restaurant before and I was happy to see everyone's dishes were separate rather that one large plate. It may be rude of me, but I'm not into everyone sharing from the same plate with only bread as utensils... call me OCD lol. Anyway, it looks like an amazing meal and I'm so impressed by your social prowess this month. It is truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel ya. I just try not to think about it.

      Delete
  4. The few times i have had ethiopian i always get a sampler- too indecisive to commit! Sounds like a lot of fun and beers-aka an awesome saturday.
    And the sneakers/long shorts/plaid shirt combo is spot on.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the sampler was just a little more money than I wanted to spend... I remember it being cheaper?? Oh well.
      It was a fun day!

      Delete
  5. Oh man, good Ethiopian food!! It has been WAY, WAYY too long. They really know how to do lentils and greens right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely on the greens! Not even bitter, really. Spiced so well.

      Delete
  6. I admit to having a cheeky cackle at that headline! Ethiopian food was long in coming into my diet, but I'm rather fond of it now. Samplers are the only way forward - why try one dish when you can have five?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. Joe's a wrestling fan. I'm a big fan of Ethiopian too, and only recently tried it for the first time maybe a year ago?

      Delete
  7. So, I'm assuming from your lack of fawning (not than you're generally a fawner) that you didn't love this food. I've never tried this place, but I guess I won't bother? I do love those kicks! You're doing great with your MFing theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it well enough! I would have preferred more variety, (more vegetables) but this plate was good. The Ethiopian place I've seen on yr blog a couple times does look much better though.

      Delete
  8. WhenI am in the office, my cube is very far from any window. But, at least I'm above ground.

    Thanks for answering my query.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.