Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014, Day 5: Folks as Friends

I hope this isn't a cop-out. I am not close enough with my parents to call them friends per se but, living about 20 minutes away from each other, we see each other on a somewhat regular basis. That said, I am very aware that my parents are wonderful and supportive and kind.
The last month has been really stressful and sad in some ways, but my folks and I got a bit closer through it. We talked and e-mailed back and forth but I recently had some time to visit, chat, (clean their house,) and eat a meal with them.
My parents are omnivores, and have spent a lot of time in France, so dairy, fish, or meat is often an element in their meals - even if only in small quantities. Since I've become vegan (about 7 years ago now) they've come around to enjoying the occasional meal without dairy or meat, and they certainly know how to enjoy their vegetables.

This is local corn (from a visit to a NJ farm) with onion, tomato, fresh basil from the garden, salt, and pepper over a bed of spinach. Fresh, seasonal, light, and delicious.


Dessert was juicy cantaloupe.
It's good to have reminders like this that while it's great that vegan food has come so far that we have almost any analogue we could ask for, there are few things nicer than real food with good people.

10 comments:

  1. Lots o questions spurred by this post. I'll just stick to the most pressing: what is holding that Corn dish together? Why are you cleaning your parent's house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothin'! Juicy corn juice?
      my siblings are visiting, so mom wanted the windows shiny.

      Delete
    2. Your Mom seems like the newspaper as window cleaner type. Am I right?

      Delete
    3. You are spot on. I used the NYTimes Style section.

      Delete
    4. bahahaha; love when you guys chat.

      Delete
  2. I hope that all is well with you and your family and it is nice that you have been able to get closer to them recently. I know from previous posts that they are really great about keeping the veggies plentiful when you enjoy your meals together and this meal is no exception. The corn dish looks absolutely delicious and there is nothing better than juicy melon on a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they are! No cheese necessary. The melon was so great. I don't know why I don't buy it more often (well, I do - it's messy.)

      Delete
  3. CORN, man. That looks so good. I really need to get more corn before it is all gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When people ask what vegans eat don't you want to say something snide like, "there's a ton of veggies and fruits around at any given moment; we start there."

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.