Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014, Day 20: Farmer's Market, Quantum Leap

Heyyy Happy Final Day of MoFo, guys! We did it. It was a TOUGH month, but here we are.
Monday afternoon I met up with my dear friend Patrick, who is one of the craftiest, smartest, funniest dudes I know. We see each other so rarely now - he's a teacher, but he finally let me harass him into getting a meal together.
I had to go into the city to copy up some zines n' stuff, and I milled around the Union Square farmer's market waiting for him to get outta work.

                                         Here is a dude with a sign: All Animals are Equal

                                                                  Fairytale eggplants

                                                                     Husk cherries!

Edamame. I had never seen these at the market before, and I've definitely never seen them in bunches on the vine like that!

                                                                      Young ginger
I started walking down towards Quantum Leap, which is where we were meeting to eat, and passed Grace Church on the way. It's a calming oasis in the city, and I need all the calming down I can get these days.


Then I saw that baby boy with his bleached blond crew cut and I knew it had been toooooo long. Missed that dude. We both got a beer with the meal, cuz that's how we do.

I got a burger with a salad and fries. Ate half and took the rest home. Not bad for 10 bucks. Patty got a buffalo (vegetarian) chickun wrap. On the way back to the train we stopped into Peanut Butter & Co, which is where we met when we worked together, like, 8 years ago. Those crazy days.
THANK YOU FOR HANGING OUT WITH ME, ALL MY FRIENDS ALL MONTH LONG. You guys mean so much to me. Let's not let this end, xoxo.

16 comments:

  1. Decided to go out with a whimper. Interesting choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my prerogative! As Bobby Brown would say.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing up MoFo and making it to 20 posts! You did such an awesome job. That church is so gorgeous and so is all of the market fare. I should get to a Farmer's Market again before the season ends. Your dinner looks so good, those fries look perfect! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted one of those little eggplants!! But I would have needed like 30 to make a meal, haha.
      How late in the season do the markets stay open out by you?

      Delete
    2. I think the Long Island markets are open until November? Which means I need to get going on it! ;) I doubt they will have much this late in the season anyway.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on a job well done, and with such a great theme! I am only recently coming out of the cave, rejoining humanity, after a month of overwork. I'm sure your awesome teacher friend knows what I mean. The church photo is absolutely beautiful, and the meal appears delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I am sure he feels the same.
      Pretty happy with the church photo, thanks.

      Delete
  4. I love husk cherries, we call them 'ground cherries' around here. Nice to bookend Mofo with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both names. Never eaten them myself.

      Delete
  5. A lovely mofo theme. Consider my heart well and truly warmed, and my mind well and truly puzzled by husk cherries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Slightly puzzled and warmed to the cockles as well.

      Delete
  6. Hooray for a great MoFo! I've been crazy busy, but you're not off the hook for a hangout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Mofo was SO awesome!! I have to get those fresh edamame....i had some once at a fancy japanese restaurant (served on the sticks!) and they're just more creamy and bright than frozen ones are.
    Looks like a fun burger meal to catch up with your friend. I buy my dad that cinnamon raisin peanut butter every xmas- he loves that stuff!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I BET they're awesome fresh. Do you eat them raw? Or steamed or something?

      Delete
    2. You have to cook the edamame- not something you want to eat raw! Just steamed, stick, pod, and all- i love that japanese sesame seaweed salt that's for flavroring rice on the edamame.
      Ttrockwood

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.