Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014, Day 2: Kaye's Salad

This is a recipe from my friend Kaye. We met a long time ago, I can't even remember when really. 2005, maybe? All I know is that we were friends on MySpace, so a LONG time ago, haha. We met through a friend, dated briefly, and kind of lost touch but re-connected through social media a while back.
She lives upstate now so I don't really see her but she posts green living links on facebook (along with the photos of her two beautiful daughters,) so I knew she'd have something delicious to share.
Indeed:

This is a fennel and radish salad with kalamata olives and orange segments. Dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Served on top of arugula for extra peppery-ness!
I love these flavors together, and a crunchy salad is a nice textural change from what I normally make. It's also perfect for the season - fall fennel, springy arugula and radishes, and the upcoming citrus season. I ended up adding some agave to the dressing - another orange would have worked too, but I didn't have one. I would also add sliced red onion next time I make it, but otherwise, this was great.
Thank you, Kaye. I have a feeling I'll be asking her for more recipes soon.

14 comments:

  1. The Kalamata Olives are throwing me off with this Salad. Does Kaye know she has been socialized with as part of your MoFo theme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're good! A salty bit amid the slightly sweet crunch. Kaye knows. She offered this salad freely.

      Delete
    2. Assuming this Kaye person really exists, wouldnt she have commented on your blog?

      Delete
    3. She has twins! She ain't got time to comment! Do you doubt I have friends??

      Delete
  2. I bet the salad would be just perfect with kohlrabi instead of fennel, though it sounds like a great combination of flavors for fennel fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possibly. I know you don't like fennel but I really love it. It reminds me of Dynise Balcavage's fennel slaw in Celebrate Vegan.

      Delete
  3. Love fennel and always forget to put it in salads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me toooo. maybe this winter I'll get better.

      Delete
  4. The combination of a salad with fennel and arugula sounds irresistible - and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, fennel and orange are meant to be together. Glad they've been reconnected too. Wonder if they met on social media? I'm definitely adding them on MyPlate. (… sorry…. )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great salad! I'd have to do without the olives though. Apparently I'm missing out but I just don't like them. Looks lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad! I wonder what you could substitute. Sundried tomatoes maybe?

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.