Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014, Day 17: Fig Bran Muffins, and a zine

No friends tonight, but maybe I can make some with these muffins. Surely they'll make me popular with the over-50 crowd, at least.


These are fig-bran muffins, but they are not dense or bland at all. They have fresh figs, fig jam, orange zest, and chopped pistachios in them as well.
My mom sent me the recipe to veganize almost exactly a year ago so, obviously, I am on top of things. If this is something that appeals to you, the recipe is here. To veganize, I used coconut yogurt, maple syrup instead of honey (and extra zest for that "wildflower feel",) 2 large TBS soy flour for the two eggs, and a flax egg for the egg white, plus a little extra water. I was not altogether very precise, but muffins are very forgiving.

They make a wonderfully filling and seasonally appropriate breakfast when served with extra coconut yogurt.
I finished my latest zine, issue 27 of Marmalade Umlaut, the other day, and copied some up yesterday. If you'd like a copy, let me know! There are more recipes than usual, thanks to my kind friends who sent some.

15 comments:

  1. Bran muffins! LOVE. As long as I'm not expecting it to be chocolate, that is. But even then, I'd get over it. These sound wonderful with fig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh,yeah, that would be a let down. But chocolate muffins are never very tasty anyway. Don't you have a fig tree, or am I imagining things?

      Delete
  2. You'd win me over in the fig bran muffin crowd. Soy flour with the flax egg is a good idea. That's about how fast I operate with recipes, my mom is still waiting on a banana bread recipe from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Usually I am better, but it got lost in the million emails she sends me a day.

      Delete
  3. I am a zinester from way back. Would love to take a look at your zine!! How do I order a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dont have to be over-50 to need a Bran Muffin from time to time, but I wont go into further detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe it's time to eat fewer mac n cheese muffins.

      Delete
    2. Ah! So it is the Mac & Cheese Muffins that are gumming up the works. Well, at least it gives me time to catch up on your Zines.

      Delete
  5. The muffin recipe sound amazing- i love everything with figs!

    And the big fat greek wedding quote is a long running joke in my family, for some kind of horrible reason i think its hysterical. Just like my favorite bumper sticker ever " Save a cow. Eat a vegetarian"
    When the hell did you find time to do a zine with all your socializing working and cooking ???!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually prefer dried figs over fresh, but these were really nice. Haha I never saw that movie, but the quote was too perfect.
      Unfortunately I am about as quick with these zines as I am veganizing intended recipes - been working on this one since July and finally finished, ha!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on finishing another issue! Definitely a big accomplishment :) The muffins look absolutely incredible. As you can see from these comments these muffins are for any crowd! They are beautiful and I'm sure really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum. Figs are awesome and muffins are awesome. i have a few figs loitering in my fridge, awaiting their destiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Time for those figs to meet their maker.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.