Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014: Day 13: Bunna & Legume, plus Musing

J. Legume is leaving soon! It was so rad to meet her and hang out. She even introduced me to a lot of awesome vegan places in New York that I am just such a creature of habit that I'd never go to on my own, or as a local am too busy with my head down powering through the crowds, I'd never know were there - The Bagel Store, the Dr. Cow vegan cheese store, Norbert's, and finally: BUNNA!
Bunna is an Ethiopian place RIGHT NEAR MY HOUSE! And it's gorgeous and huge inside, and the food is amazing, and priced just right.
OK weird story - this was Tuesday night, the last time Julia and I'd be able to see each other before she went home to Portland, but a friend e-mailed during the day and said she was having a hard time and asked to get drinks. This month so far has been pretty cool and I've gotten to know certain friends better. I also appreciate them for being game when I randomly asked to start hanging out - and then their putting up with my complaining, occasional crying, ranting, and general awkwardness. So Rachel and I were just closing on last minute plans for a quick drink after work (she is a former co-worker and works across the street) when THE STORE WAS EVACUATED!! Wild, right?? Rachel could see all the firetrucks from her building. So then I KNEW we had to have drinks. And I'm glad we did. We got some REAL TAWK did and I hope she felt better just having aired her feelings. That's a tangent but my point is - I hope I'm learning to be a better friend this month. And thank you to everyone so far who has let me invade their life. I hope you all know how much you are helping.
SO ANYWAY, I got to Bunna a little late (I'm sorry Julia!!) and slightly tipsy. This is the one blurry, dark photo I got.


Injera and 5 samplings - mushroom tibs, two kinds of lentils, kale, and roasted beets.
So, yeah. I will be back. Thanks again, J. Legume. Bon voyage. See you on the West Coast.

10 comments:

  1. I am confused. Who is Rachel? Are you socializing with Rachel or J. Legume in this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crazy evening! Did they ever get any leads on the pepper spraying individual? I didn't know that stuff was so potent.

    Happily, your meal looks great and how awesome that your friendships are blossoming! (Now, time to start planning your trip to the other coast!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! It's a total mystery! So bizarre. They think it might have been accidentally leaked.
      Yes, time to start planning and saving money for it...

      Delete
  3. That sounds crazy!!! An exciting evening, that is for sure. This month has really been great for you, I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh iPhone cut me off.... Beautiful meals and beautiful friendships, I love it!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'm really enjoying it.

      Delete
  4. All this friend time sounds so great! I agree with Sarah, I've been loving reading your posts this month---such a good reminder of what human connection can do.

    Also, now I want Ethiopian food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mad jealous. I've wanted to try Bunna for ages now, but I've been spending less time than ever in New York these days, and almost never make it over to Brooklyn. That loaded injera right there is the stuff that spicy dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's it; when we hang out we're going EVERYWHERE!! Also, drinks.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.