Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014, Day 12: Pickle Shack

Monday I biked down to meet my friend Erica at Pickle Shack in the Park Slope-ish area. Erica and I met eating pickle and peanut butter sandwiches when we worked at Peanut Butter & Co, so this dinner date was fitting. We've dated, traveled the world together, drank too much together, cried together, made zines together, stolen shit, and probably danced lots of weird goth dances together. In the words of Le Tigre, "I'm proud to be associated with you."
We don't see each other too much these days - we are really similar in just wanting to be at home with our cats. But as with most best friends we have a mystical brain connection that we will probably have forever, and whenever we meet up it's awkward and wonderful and validating and powerful.
So, Pickle Shack:

I don't know how long this place has been here, but I never knew about it!! Despite having been to Oaxaca up the block and Mission Dolores, a cool bar across the street, a fair number of times. So thanks to Erica for opening my eyes.

Pickle barrel above the door. Open window seating in the front. Patio to the back. We sat in the back.

They have a ton of beers on the menu. I got a Dogfishead 60 Minute, and Erica got an Evil Twin ciderish beer. In a magic goblet.

                             Fried pickle chip appetizer! With vegan cashew cream, I guess.

I got the smoked tofu banh mi with avocado, cashew cheese, and pickled carrots. Plus hot sauce. The bread hurt my mouth so I didn't really eat it. But the sandwich was awesome otherwise.
Erica got a vegan grilled cheese, but I didn't ask to take a photo. They actually screwed up her order and gave her regular grilled cheese (the entire menu is vegan, and everything is veganizable with cheese they make themselves) but were very apologetic and promptly brought out a vegan replacement.
The patio at night:


Erica, thanks again. For talking and hanging out. And for being you and showing photos of yr cats. And for introducing me to PICKLE SHACK. And Witch Hunt.

10 comments:

  1. I like pickle shack but their menu makes no sense and their sandwiches are impossible to eat without a fork and both of those things make me crazy. Tasty tho and good beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know a place called "The Pickle Shack" is going to be good. DANG. Now I kind of want to rename our house that. Not that our house is actually named anything at present...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I know just the kind of friendship you're talking about and I love that you described it in the words of Le Tigre! Also I'm adding this place to my must visit list for next time I'm in the city, I love a vegan grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm late to this particular party, but deep fried pickles? Um, yes. A million times yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend has been talking about this place for weeks and I NEED THOSE PICKLE CHIPS! You are having so much fun this MoFo; I need to email you to get involved. MoFo by association!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pickle and PB sandwiches, huh? That sounds kinda weird, but I'd try it. Those pickle chips look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet if you got the Al Green, you would have been happier with your meal. Pretty nice how they serve the Pickle Chips in a little cast iron pan.

    So you're really killing it this MoFo. Figured after the Family Reunion post we wouldnt be hearing from you for another week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I love this post! I have some friends with the same kind of relationship... we may not speak often but when we do it's like no time has passed at all. Those are very special friendships :)

    I've never heard of the pickle shack and now I really want to go! the friend pickles look amazing and so does your sandwich. I've never heard of pb and pickles, is that really good?

    Awesome job MoFoing, I've really been enjoying your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought only 6 yr olds and pregnant ladies liked pb and pickles..... What a wonderful friend to have and to reconnect with. I feel like you have really really pushed yourself to be social and its payimg off in the most amazing way....
    Those pickle chips look SO good! Is that cornmeal on the outside?? And they need to do a bahn mi refresher course- no toasting of the bread!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, pickle chips. Those look amazing. And shout out to vegan Witch Hunt fans! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.