Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014, Day 11: Family as Friends

Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here! My brother got into town on Friday night and my mom gathered some other family members together on Sunday since we're all together so rarely. Aunts, uncles, second cousins, and third cousins ate:

                                     carrots (with guac to dip), green beans, potato chips

                                                    Grilled squash, flax tortilla chips

Not vegan!!! but so pretty I couldn't not take a photo. This is a traditional Galician empanada that my sister and Miguel made. You cook red bell peppers and onions in oil with paprika as part of the filling and the oil is used in the dough as well, which makes it orange tinted.

                    Bean salad with corn, tomatoes, onion, lime juice, and chipotle powder.

                                                               La tabla with bread

                                                     my first plate with Galician wine

     second plate with a ratatouille my aunt made. Guess I didn't get a separate shot of that dish.
The centerpiece brought from a Galician ceramics factory:

 In the background my brother is talking about his drone work in some mines in CA. Here is a tiny drone he brought to show us:

 And its controller. Not depicted, the massive external hard drive he brings around. WILL DATA.

                              Also a fossil from the Boron mine. Buncha smarties in the family.
 I had to sneak away and get a few cat shots, because what's a trip home without a black cat?

                                                      Seneca curled into a sleepy ball.

                                                       I wrangled Cicero at the table.
THE END FOR NOW.

6 comments:

  1. Fun family time! And how cool that your brother brought a drone with him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely enjoyable post! I love seeing this family stuff. Plus I researched Galicia, Spain (never heard of it before) and then I researched Boron (which doesnt look like that rock in the pic and actually comes from meteorites).

    loved the cat pics and that is another good pic of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! How great that your family was all together. It seems like everyone had a great time and enjoyed each other's company to the fullest. I love the pic of you and the kitty! So adorable! Beautiful spread as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great reunion! And gorgeous spread of deliciousness there- the empanada is a great color. I haven't been to galicia (yet!) but they do make some good wine there. Love the last pic, you look contented and happy :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Family time, and having it not be surrounded by the stress of the holidays is the best! So glad you all were able to spend time, eat great looking (too bad about the empanada, but it is beautiful!), and snuggle with cats. Adorable picture of you and Cicero!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a little confused there and thought the fossil was the drone controller; who would have thought our military would make something so beautiful? Also, great grill marks on the squash!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.