Search This Blog

Monday, September 1, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014, Day 1: Food Friends!!!!

Hiiiiii and happy MoFo alla y'alls.
My theme this year is making September a month of eating and cooking with and for friends. Previous Food Friends posts have always been my favorite. I have a lot of social anxiety, and so don't see people enough as I'd like to. But being around other people gets me out of my own weird head, and helps me share and listen and learn and growww. I'm going to try to actually make the effort to host and cook either at my apartment, or their places if they prefer, or just grab some vegan food to eat together. Maybe there will be picnics, maybe there will be food field trips. I will also try to get some recipes from faraway friends to create, and they can be involved that way.
Also my brother (from CA!) and sister (from Spain!) are visiting this month and I plan on strong-arming them into a dinner party chez moi (roo
mmate to be consulted!!) so, like, maybe there will be that.
I am lucky enough to have a good amount of compassionate vegan friends to share food with, but there is also the idea that sharing delicious vegan food with non-vegan people is a good way to win some points for the team.
Other Food Friends posts here, here, here, and here.

Vegan penpal friends mail is the best mail:


 Lunch with G (my best friend always, forever) at Bite recently:

Mediterranean Salad: Israeli salad, greens, hummus, eggplant, spicy roasted red pepper sauce, almonds.
We biked into the city to go to the Tompkins Square Park farmers market on Sunday, with his friend John.
                        A Sarna apple from Red Jacket. Bike barely visible in the background.


Let's see how totally overwhelmed I am at the end of this month, haha. As an introvert I cherish ALONE time, but this is a challenge. And it could be good. Also, if you are a vegan blogger from NYC and want to try to meet up with a neurotic stranger this MoFo, feel free to get in touch.
See you later...

20 comments:

  1. Come to Long Island with G and we'll have a vegan dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would probably both enjoy that very much.

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I have social anxiety too, so I will be following your challenge with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the theme! Good for you for challenging yourself with something that causes you anxiety. What a big step! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in as another vicarious lurker. Cant think of anything worse than forced socialization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am already forcing myself into people's homes. By the end of the month it will just be, "maud, please leave us alone."

      Delete
  5. Aww I love your theme! We are very similar in this sense... my anxiety and extreme introversion make me a homebody and it's always inspiring to see others push through the discomfort and put themselves out there! I can't wait to read about your experiences, I hope you have a really great month of friends and food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean, I like to be alone but then it's crazy when months go by and I haven't seen my best friends! I hope the month goes okay.

      Delete
  6. Great theme! Looking forward to reading more :)

    Zsu @ Zsu's Vegan Pantry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very awesome theme! MoFo always sneaks up on me, and September is a hard month for me to take anything extra onto my calendar - so extra applause to you for making dates!

    Hooray for family visits and lunches with G and bikes and fresh produce! All sorts of wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It snuck up on me too! September I think is probably difficult for a lot of people. my schedule in september doesn't change but moFo is always pretty hard.
      The apple was so good! I had never seen it before but must now search it out..

      Delete
  8. Are you planning to host vegan meals every night of mofo? :) That would be a challenge even for an extrovert. I like your idea of incorporating more friends-and-food into your life — I should do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh helllllll no. I may end up relying on a lot of "my cat is my friend! Here is a picture of my cat while I ate my vegan dinner alone" posts.
      I just have a few more friend dates than usual lined up.

      Delete
    2. That's me at my most sociable! I even share with 89 from time to time. Will be in touch...

      Delete
  9. Yay for cooking & eating with friends! I would not be able to handle socializing every single night either, even with my best friends -- except if I were socializing with my (nonexistent) cat. That totally counts as socializing, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you want to come to the west coast, we could go on that food friendz date of our own?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so impressed with you doing vegan mofo and planning to be so social! And how exciting to have your siblings coming- although i know how that can get crazy busy and kinda stressful too....
    I'm not a blogger but i am in nyc and a big fan of both your blog and lula's ice cream (or whatever they call themselves now) if its not too weird to meet me...;) i'm at ttrockwoodAT yahoo.com if you wanna drop me a line
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.