Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sundays are for Smorging

Hiii. G and I had another weekend bike adventure today, though not as far as we've gone before, or as strenuous a ride but it was a nice, leisurely day.
We decided to go to Smorgasburg on the Williamsburg waterfront. Even though we intended to eat there, Dunwell was on the way and I'd never been there, so we stopped in.

                              I got a toasted coconut doughnut. Light and fluffy and so good.

G picked vanilla with sprinkles aka ants ate my doughnut. He liked his a lot too. The shop is cute. I hope to go back very, very soon.
We biked to Smorgasburg but there were wayy fewer food vendors than when we first went. I really wanted to try Chickpea & Olive but there is now a second Smorg location in Brooklyn Heights, which is where they are on Sundays. Bummer. Not a total loss, though - I bought a $5 dress and G got a really colorful windbreaker. Then we hightailed it outta the crowded mess and found some real food. B.A.D. Burger on Grand had a tofu scramble.
Also nice to see:


We both got the scramble. With home fries here:


And G's with apple slaw:

This was interesting. Like a sweet pickled slaw. Actually, the home fries and the tofu scramble were both spiced really uniquely too. I like a little more texture to my scram but it was cool that it was simple and not too salty.

Also appreciated that at (okay maybe a little past) prime brunch hour, the place was basically ours. Props to G for stopping at a new place on a whim. B.A.D. was good.
And on Friday night I made a second salad from Salad Samurai, the Plums Love Arugula salad. This is arugula, ginger-beer tofu, chopped plum, and (spiced) almonds topped with a garlicky-gingery tahini dressing.

I actually was lazy about the almonds, and it sounded like a sticky mess so I didn't cook or spice them. Everything else I followed directions on! And it was great. The sauce was a little thin because of the tahini I used, but it was nice with the chewy baked tofu and the sweet plum.
So anyway I had leftovers for dinner tonight - with white beans instead of tofu.


And that was today. Tomorrow will be tomorrow.

24 comments:

  1. What a perfect way to spend Sundays. The more I read about Terry's salad book, the more I want to own it. She's so clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It;s understandable not to want another cookbook but I am glad I got this one

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I could go for another myself...we almost did today, but I was good.

      Delete
  3. Donuts & scrambles & bikes - perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, if Dunwell was anywhere near me, I'd eat there everyday! God, I love doughnuts. More than just about anything on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing it's not closer to me, and a good bike ride away. I can burn it off back and forth.

      Delete
  5. Perfect Sunday! The donuts look amazing! I probably would have gone with the coconut too :) Any chance that we'll get to see the dress?! I'm always so nosy, I love seeing everyone else's style :) Brunch looked amazing and your salads are always impressive and inspiring.

    Hasn't the weather been amazing lately?! Not too obscenely hot. It's been a pretty mild summer so far considering some of the ones we've had in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the dress soon. It's not my usual style but there was a purpose for buying it... it's just white with kinda puffy sleeves and some lace detail, but still kinda casual. I might never wear it but, hey, 5 bucks :)
      The weather has been great right up until today! I can't deal with this muggy heat.

      Delete
  6. What a great day you had. Who ever thought one could buy a dress for the same price as a Donut? The Scramble looks just like the kind I like, but the portion looks a little small? Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the doughnuts were 2.50 a piece! But, yes, two donuts = 1 dress. I don't understand economics.
      The scramble might have been smallish, but the hash browns were hearty enough that it was all good.

      Delete
  7. Yum and yummy. As you know, I have serious bike envy, so thank you for riding it (for me). Ha ha! The donuts look fantastic, and there is little more exciting in restaurant life than a brunch without a wait. Both scramble and potatoes sound delicious!!

    Ginger beer tofu? How? Where? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brunch without a wait is heaven.
      Ginger beer tofu: pressed firm tofu with coconut water, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, hmmm and some other stuff baked for about 45 minutes. I'll email the recipe if you'd like.

      Delete
  8. The donut makes up for lameness at the Smorg, but that's still annoying. At least it was great biking weather all weekend. That scramble looks more like eggless salad! The potatoes look awesome- and how great the whole menu is so veg friendly.
    I keep fruit out of my salads but i'm with ingrid on the ginger beer tofu- do i need to make that??
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe we should have checked before we went! Oh well. Perfect biking weather, wish we'd gone somewhere else.
      Never would have thought a "burger place" would have such good veg options.
      The ginger beer tofu was good, but no beer involved. I'll send you the recipe if you want.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great Sunday! That salad's been on my to-make list since I got SS, it looks great and I love the sound of ginger beer tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much on my list from SS, and so little time!

      Delete
  10. bike rides and doughnuts sounds so lovely! what a great morning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Based on the sound of the name alone, Smorgasburg must be great. SMORG! Mind you, if my name theory was right, BAD shouldn't have been so good. Also, please stop posting pictures of donuts. There is dribble on the screen now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smorging is almost as fun as snogging, as you Brits say.
      No more donuts for now - not to worry.

      Delete
  12. OMG these donuts are out of this world……the toasted coconut looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.