Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Greenwhile

Well, I'm glad I posted the MooShoes pop-up event first because I'm not sure the food in this post makes up for missing a week. Oh well. It is what it is. How the last week has been:

I was kinda busy and I didn't really have time to prep or cook much, or really buy groceries even, but I wanted to get my greens in. So, Liquiteria All Greens juice. There is a new Liquiteria location just a block away from work, so it's easy to stop in on my break.

I had a bad headache for two days straight. Sometimes I get those in the week before my period, so I upped my iron with a spoonful of molasses.

A friend lives near Bagelsmith so I couldn't pass up being close by. I got a pumpernickel with plain tofu cc (so predictable, so boring) and took it home to eat with proper coffee.

Really loving the RawFit smoothies and it's great how long it keeps me full since I've been running around. This has spinach, protein powder, one and a half frozen bananas, matcha powder, almond milk and lemon juice.

Two bagels in a week might be overload but G has convinced me that carb-loading is ok when you've been biking so much. Toasted Everything bagel with TJ vegan cc and tomatoes. I did put cc (and tomatoes) on the other half, don't worry.

                                              more "proper coffee" in my feminist mug.

                           Carrot, tomato, tempeh, and hummus in a Romaine lettuce leaf

    Slightly soggy roasted caulflower and chickpeas with an olive-tomato salata from Paradis.

                            Eaten behind some large bushes on Mercer St, haha. City wildlife!
I biked to meet my mom on her lunch break yesterday. She ate yogurt, I chugged water. There is a Trader Joe's nearby and I stopped in after for a couple things (just a couple! The thing about biking there means I can only buy necessities, or only whatever will fit in my backpack.) (Also! Abby, I looked for the kimchi and they didn't have it!)

Got these crunchy pea snacks! They're so good! I've seen (and tasted) the name brand, Snapea Crisps, and they are only slightly more expensive. But beware! There is a delicious sounding Cracked Black Pepper flavor that they make that has milk products in them.

Also picked up some organic bell peppers and a Kalamata Olive hummus. So that was a good lunch snack, along with the crisps.
I guess that's all. Here is Haxan working on her tan:

Finally, a favor to ask of all NYC readers (or people in the know): can you recommend a tasty vegan/vegetarian caterer or baker? Or a restaurant that takes catering orders? Reasonably priced, does not need to be too fancy. I thank you in advance!

23 comments:

  1. More NYC Bagels! I am dying down here!

    What are you catering? A wedding between you and G? You two seem like JOP types to me, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh pish the bagels.
      We WOULD be JoP types if we were any type at all.

      Delete
    2. Lousy way to side-step the question.

      Delete
  2. Molasses helps with headaches? INtersting. I'm definitely going to try that the next time my head hurts. Also: BAGELS BAGELS BAGELS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is high in iron. So if you get headaches from iron deficiency, it might help.

      Delete
  3. I agree with G, bagels are definitely crucial for carbo loading bike rides :) You had a pretty healthy dose of veggies to balance out the carbs as well :) The pumpernickel bagel looks so damn good, but then again I'm always partial to pumpernickel. Those pea snacks are so addicting, I LOVE THEM. Gotta love the healthy dose of competition that brings prices down, ha! Love the pic of Haxan!

    Sorry, I don't know any caterers but I'll ask around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the pea snacks are DANGEROUS.
      No need to ask around, we figured out what we needed to do, thanks!

      Delete
  4. Food doesn't need to make up for or mitigate anything. It just has to make you, Maud, as happy as a bumblebee dancing around a flowerbed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a budget in mind? I think Cinnamon Snail does catering. Most middle-sized vegan restaurants can accommodate catering service, I think.

    I've been carbo-loading as well. Mine is brown rice, but I'm trying to weaning myself away from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been really lazy about cooking rice recently and it's very stupid of me.

      Delete
  6. I did some googling for ya! :)
    bettybrooklyn.com
    www.tasteevegan.com
    www.tasteevegan.com
    www.regalvegan.com
    jayastafa.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness you cc'ed the other have of your bagel because I was positively speechless at the thought of you having not. Sorry they didn't have the kimchi, but good job on the peas; I love them too. Beyond Sushi does catering (more than just sushi) and I've heard it's great hand have seen photos that prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no way i could be that close to liquiteria every day and still pay my bills...!! That greens one is really good. I got lucky once at the chelsea location- they were going to close in an hour and i was buying a bottle and the counter guy said they were expiring the next day so he would sell it to me half price! :)) and of course its not like they started growing mold at midnight. Dunno if they do that regularly but worth asking...

    +1 for cinnamon snail catering, but whole foods will be cheapest.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I forgot- i **think** Taim is vegan, and would be really reasonable vs more proper restaurants

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I mostly look the other way :) I think I've bought a half-off one at Integral Yoga before! Should check again.
      Whole Foods seems to have it.

      Delete
  9. Lots of good lookin' food here. Makes me crave a bagel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I crave bagels no matter how many I eat.

      Delete
  10. Roasted cauliflower is one of my favorite things to look at, for some reason. And I really smiled at your mug because the kids and I had this whole little thing we said years ago when we were at the space museum, trying to remember her name - you won't be able to hear how we said it, but it was like "Valen-TINA! TereshKOVA," and we said it over and over so much that it is permanently imprinted on my brain.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.