Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, August 18, 2014

A Couple from Actual Cookbooks!!

Remember when I used to cook out of cookbooks??? It's okay if you don't - it's been a while. I recently bought Gena Hamshaw's Choosing Raw cookbook and am sosooooo excited to use it! Her recipes are actually some of the few that I do make off of her website. And the cookbook itself is beautiful. I'll probably do a longer review later, since there are so many recipes I want to make from the book but for now let's have it suffice: this cookbook is awesome. However, I felt guilty buying a new cookbook since I STILL hadn't made a thing from the one I bought before that - Terry Hope Romero's Salad Samurai, especially since I was so stoked for that one as well. Something about the multi-recipe recipes had me hold off. But today that was remedied. I've been kind of depressed this last week for both personal reasons and the mess(es) in the news (Raechel has some links on her site if you feel like reading more about Ferguson.) Sometimes a regimen helps me get out of a funk and feel like more of a normal person. Following directions, marking things off a list, it helps me focus and feel accomplished when finished.
So anyway, first step to making food was buying groceries:

                                     beets, avocado, red plums, zucchini, ginger, bananas

Dill, cucumber, limes, scallions, tofu, rice vinegar, molasses, tahini, coconut water, and blackberry jam
Some ingredients are for a second Salad Samurai salad to be made soon, but others went into this lovely Polish Summer Soba Salad.

This also was multi-step (cooking the beans, roasting the beets, making a dressing, cooking the soba) but it came together fairly quickly. Basically this tasted like a pickled salad on top of nutty noodles. Or, like, borscht salad. The beans made it extra-filling. Very good.

Here's a second photo with roasted walnuts on top. A nice touch. That's maybe why I'm feeling so crazy about the multiple steps - I know that Terry knows what she's doing and a seeming garnish, or weird ingredient, might make or break the meal! The recipe for this one looks like it's online here if you are interested.
I also prepped a breakfast for tomorrow from Gena's book.

This is mocha maca chia pudding. I intended it for breakfast today but it didn't set up quickly enough, so it's chilling for tomorrow. It calls for espresso powder, which I don't have, so I subbed 1/4 cup of coffee for that and added it to 3/4 cup of almond milk (the recipe calls for 1 c.) I tasted a little, and can't wait to eat it tomorrow.
The Choosing Raw cookbook looks really simple to use, with not too many ingredients, so it's a good contrast and complement to Salad Samurai. Think of what the two of them can do together!
I also appreciate that with both cookbooks the serving size is rather small - for only one or two meals. It's nice to have leftovers sometimes but sometimes I prefer variety. (Not to mention salads only keep so long.)

14 comments:

  1. Beets on Soba Noodles? Now I've heard everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait til you see the rest of the cookbook.

      Delete
  2. The Choosing Raw cookbook is SO GOOD. I'm obsessed with the carrot falafel.

    I totally agree that the structure of a cooking project can help get you out of a funk. I'm sorry that you're finding yourself feeling down re: personal stuff and world stuff too--(thanks for the link back)--but glad you got into the kitchen to help yourself out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to make the falafel too! I just don't have a juicer and am not sure grating the carrot would be the same. Do you use juice pulp?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I agree. Beets make everything gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. I hear you on the cookbooks! Most of mine are just around for inspiration & learning new cuisines/techniques. I have a copy of the Choosing Raw cookbook coming in the mail--super excited to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do use some for reference but every once in a while it's nice to do something "by the book."

      Delete
  5. Yay, how fun!! I feel the same way since I have so many cookbooks but rarely ever use them! I always tell myself I'm going to use them too... then I never do.

    The soba salad looks amazing and I'm a little jealous of that chia pudding! Mocha Maca sounds amazing! Are you going to eat it as is or are you going to add some toppings to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added blueberries and coconut, you can see next post!

      Delete
  6. I really love the **idea** of following actual recipes but day to day i look to them more as inspirational than something i'll follow exactly and measure out everything....i do love gena's blog and have made a number of her recipes as written (at least the first time ;)
    Did you really have maca for the chia pudding? I can't seem to rationalize buying some just for an occasional recipe...
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The maca I had on hand, just from an impulse buy a while back. Got it at Dual so it wasn't very pricey.

      Delete
    2. Brilliant! I never thought to look for maca at Dual....!

      Delete
  7. That Mocha Maca Chia Pudding = yumsome and I love Gena’s recipes, too, they are so refreshing and delicious! What an unique combination, I’ve never tried beets with soba noodles before, I must try that!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.