Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2014

Fruit, brunch, zines

Dinner cooked for G and I one night:

Brown rice, carrots, and peas with pesto mixed in. Sauteed smoky kale and tofu (Braggs & Liquid Smoke) on the right.

With 8 hot dog buns, and only 4 sausages, alternate uses for the buns must be found. Breakfast banana dog with raw almond butter and apricot jam.

Fruit salad for G and I one morning. This had banana, apple, cantaloupe, mango, coconut flakes, ground flax seeds, and a splash of grapefruit juice.

The rest of our brunch - tofu scramble with broccoli, tomato, and scallions. Half a pumpernickel bagel with tofu cream cheese. Grapefruit juice, and unpictured coffee.
Today so far has been filled with a lot of fruit.

                                                                    A ripe red plum...

and a couple gorgeous Rainier cherries. These were finally on sale, so I grabbed a pound.
I also made a nice, simple salad for lunch (sadly, still not a one from Salad Samurai.)

mixed greens, carrot, tomato, cucumber, and avocado, topped with the Choosing Raw broccoli-white bean mash and a sprinkling of nooch.
Had to go into the city this morning to copy up the latest issue of Marmalade Umlaut:


Walked through the farmer's market and saw these tiny two-toned okras!


And this sign near the subway:


It's true and sad. I'd prefer to eat NYC. Don't let the gritty shitty city getcha down.
Speaking of which, G and I are taking a short jaunt outta this place. We will be in D.C. Thursday through Sunday morning. Recommendations on things to eat and places to go are welcome! Haven't been there since 1996 so I'll assume things have changed a bit. Busboys & Poets and Sticky Fingers Bakery are on our radar.

25 comments:

  1. Love the brekky dog!

    I just ordered a copy of yr zine! Can't believe I haven't done so before! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks! I'll get it to you tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Oh, your food looks fresh and yummy as usual. Have fun in DC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phenomenal post. I would want to come have brunch at u & G's place. Sorry you're getting beaten down lately. Like I said, a change of scenery may give you the boost you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are invited to brunch anytime. You gotta find a way to have someone take care of those animals while you travel.

      Delete
    2. If I could only figure out a way to have you and G watch the critters WHILE you make me brunch.

      Delete
  4. Oooh I love the cover of the latest issue of Marmalade Umlaut! So cute! Great looking meals as always. I've been loving fruit lately because of the toasty summer heat and yours looks amazing. The banana dog is so adorable and sounds yummy. The brunch looks phenomenal too. Have fun in DC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Yeah, fruit is so easy. I had a smoothie later in the day too - that's about the effort I'm willing to put into a meal.

      Delete
  5. Your scrambled 'fu is impressive looking, and pumpernickle bagels are the best kind!! DC could be a nice change of scenery- i feel like gena's blog has great DC recommendations......dunno if her blog is searchable though....?
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bagel was very good! The whole meal was filling - glad G and I split the bagel.
      Forgot about Gena's DC-ness, thank you! I will take a look around. I feel like she's mentioned Elizabeth's Gone Raw (maybe out of my price range) and a few juiceries at the least!

      Delete
  6. Hehe, banana dog! That's brilliant! I wish I had a bagel and some scramble right now, I haven't had a decent bagel since January. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were actually not even legit NYC bagels but still good

      Delete
  7. i just had a plum the other day....i wish both halves were super ripe...one was sweet, the othe bitter. i ate it all though!

    yay for zines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when that happens with something I'm eating

      Delete
  8. Everything looks great- particularly the new zine! I've never been to DC, but I hear that Ethiopian options abound. I need much more pesto in my life, but I cannot condone that breakfast bun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! my friend from work's mother owns an Ethiopian restaurant that is supposed to be one of the best. We're going to try to stop by.

      Delete
  9. I like this post; it's simple yet beautiful food, fun breakfast ideas, a cool zine cover, a funny sign, and news of a fun travel experience. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. Hope the troupe is well and you guys can travel soon too!

      Delete
  10. The banana dog is calling to me - sheer culinary genius! Vying with the bagel 'fu combo for thing I'd most like to put myself on the outside of. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Online Business with hourly profit, Just Invest and Rest
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The simple brilliance of your banana sandwich kind of blows my mind. It seems like there's never any use for hot dog buns other than, of course, holding tubular faux-meats, but this makes so much sense! Sheesh, I've wasted so much of my life without taking full advantage of this shapely bread...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.