Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Food Fuel

I don't know if I'm still in vacation mode, or if it's the heat making me so lazy lately but I feel like I have been slacking on eating healthily as I ought to be.

Another stir fry. No idea why I've been making these so often these days. This is zucchini, carrot, scallion, tempeh, and rice with soy sauce and rice vinegar served over spinach to wilt.

Sauteed spinach and grilled Daiya sandwich for dinner one night. With onion and tomato in there. This wasn't the easiest to make or eat, and it was really only just okay so I will probably not buy the Daiya again. It might be better if I made pizza or something.
This morning G and I met up with his friend John to see his new apartment (he just moved to Brooklyn from Long Island) and go to a yoga class. This was my first time doing yoga outside my own home!
Fueled up with gluten-free toast with almond butter and banana

 and coffee (and water!)

Breakfast was at 9:45ish and the class was at 12 and this seemed like a fine amount of food/coffee to get through the class. It was 90 minutes long and I sweeeeaaaated but it felt great. We went to Yoga to the People, which is by donation, and I really want to go back soon. I wasn't super hungry after the class but we were near Champs Jr (in Greenpoint - smaller than the original Champs in Williamsburg) so we decided to head over there.
Despite it being prime brunch time we were able to get three seats at the counter. The whole place fits maybe 9 people, so we were lucky. Maybe since it's so small (and near McCarren park) they just get a lot of to-go orders.

                                                           I got a berry smoothie ($6)
Greg and John both got Slams ($12) - this is G's with soysage, french toast, scramble, and hash browns. "You know I'm gonna be comparing it to Sticky Fingers," Greg said. Apparently SF wins because they serve real maple syrup (not "pancake syrup") and Champs' Slam wasn't filling enough for him for the price.
Picked up some groceries on the way home, showered, and made a salad after guzzling a ton of lemon water.
Spinach, broccoli, avocado, carrot, tomato, tempeh. With lemon juice, sriracha, and nooch post-photo.
Anyway, this SALAD is how I wish I were eating more often. Higher raw, more greens, less processed. And I think I have the yoga class to thank for that. After sweating and pushing my body to feel better, why would I want to wreck that with gross food? So hopefully I'll be going to more classes and eating better and sweating the rest of the summer, but, like, in a good way. It's also probably a good thing for me to just not sit in my house afraid of people all the time. Couldn't hurt, right?

19 comments:

  1. I'm so with you, when it heats up I'm in prime lazy mode. I've actually been having the same thought that I really need to stop being lazy and start being more mindful of what I'm eating and focus on more green and raw.

    The stir fry looks really great and you've definitely been eating your fair share of greens! The grilled cheese looks good, too bad it wasn't great. Did you use the shredded Daiya or the slices? I haven't tried the slices but I imagine they work well in grilled cheese.

    That's great that you got to go to a yoga class! I was always much more successful in my practice when I went to class rather than practice at home. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it and that it inspired you to eat more raw, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grilled cheese was with shredded cheese. Yr right, it would have been easier with sliced cheese but the shreds were on sale. They all kinda fell out though.
      Yeah, yoga is hard to follow sometimes at home. In the class I could kinda glimpse around me to make sure I was doing the right thing.

      Delete
  2. Methinks that restaurants can melt Daiya with their industrial equipment. Us home users have to accept it unmelty. I have apparemtly given up on it myself. Looks like a very positive day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe if I had a sandwich press? Does that count as industrial equipment?
      Never give up!

      Delete
  3. Everything looks absolutely delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to start yoga for a bazillion years now; thanks for the tip (don't be afraid of me showing up; it will likely take another bazillion but I'm thinking positively).

    I know you're trying to eat healthier but I just want to say that your Daiya may have needed to cook more to get meltier- just judging by the photo. I just bought the Dairy-Free Formula cookbook that's supposed to be the first step in breaking my Daiya addiction (after an unpleasant experience at the Greenfest where they served samples on bread with egg ingredients and then defended themselves by saying they're a dairy-free company, not a vegan company). In any event, I'm not turning the stove on until October if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come!! Sweating in front of people I know is maybe better than in front of strangers?
      Yes, the Daiya probably could have used another couple minutes but the GF bread is also very thick, and, to reiterate, I'm lazy and impatient :)

      Delete
  5. I've been eating a lot of crap too! Yesterday, I didn't have any veggies, (except the tomato juice in my Bloody Mary). Just carbs, fried stuff, and pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, of these pics are any example, you certainly don't LOOK like you're slacking on healthy food! I think summer is just harder since it's generally too hot to think about cooking. Lucky for us, salads exist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks. And hooray for salads!

      Delete
  7. YAY SWEATY YOGA! Also, what is yr fave GF toast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ! :)
      The only GF bread I buy is Food for Life Brown Rice bread, because it's the only one they sell at Trader Joe's and it's cheaper there than anywhere else.

      Delete
  8. I like the **idea** of yoga so much more than the reality of it.... But if you enjoy it go!! And does G have a hollow leg?? That looks like a rediculous amount of food for $12....
    All your eats look delicious and damned healthy to me. Did you eat disco fries for breakfast every day and forget to mention it?? No? Then don't fret.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really enjoy it.
      G has a fast metabolism, lucky guy.
      A couple cookies might have gone unphotographed.

      Delete
    2. Btw, you know there's a yoga to the people location in the e village too? I wanna say its near st marks....
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  9. wow, thank you for sharing. i will be making this tonight

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.