Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Vegan Beauty

If Abby, vegan sweets queen, can blog about vegan cleaning, then I, a dirty weird punk can blog about vegan beauty products! A lot of my punk ethic is based in DIY, which means my "beauty routine" is avocados and turmeric mashed onto my face if I feel like doing a mask, aloe vera gel for moisturizer, baking soda and water when I need to exfoliate, baking soda (it does everything!) and coconut oil as deodorant, and a green tea-apple cider vinegar-tea tree oil toner that I use on my face most mornings. And sunscreen daily (I'm Irish!) which I buy.
Also, when I was younger, a lot of my punk ethic meant not actually taking very good care of myself: drinking too much, passing out without washing my face, giving zero fucks if I actually looked presentable at work or ever. Then, riot grrrl taught me a lot about it being actually okay to love yrself. If you don't take care of yrself, no one will. Things have changed a little as I've gotten older - rather than staying out all night wreaking havoc I prefer to stay in and read, or write, or cook, or watch a movie but I still like to keep things anti-capitalist. If I opt to buy things, I'd like to support small, independent businesses or at the very least, larger businesses with politics I can get behind.
Hence, me purchasing the Vegan Cuts Beauty Box last month:

Argan oil! This stuff is incredible. So far I've used it only on my face rather than my hair and it has helped clear up dry patches overnight. Also, this is a smallish sample but a little goes a very long way.

This was fun - I've only ever used clay masks before. This was a gel-ish peel off mask. I was afraid the ginger might be too strong for my face, but it wasn't at all.

 The Antipodes Grace cleanser was amazing! It smelled delicate and fresh, it really was gentle, but it also felt really clean. The Better Botanicals one underneath was just as nice. I appreciated the LA Fresh wipes - they come in handy on those rare nights when I still don't make it home but need to look like I tried, even a little. Not too astringent, either.

I still have yet to try either of these, but am excited. The cleanser looks like something I'd make, but more gentle.

Looking at this photo, I also forgot all about that charcoal puff. I could totally use that now with the winter skin finally coming off, and the sunscreen getting slathered on. Water in the photo too because that is still the #1 most important beauty product ever.

Plus I can pack anything away in this cute little pack that came too. My friend Marta likes to put tampons and stuff in a small bag and calls it her "shame sack," which I think is hilarious, but so unnecessary! No shame here - just straight up chillin bein' ladies who take care of ourselves.
I also am guilty of not always entirely researching products as to their vegan-ness. I try! I've looked up animal-friendly businesses, and trust it to go from there, but it's happened that I've bought Burt's Bees products with honey in them, or a non-vegan product from a usually vegan-friendly business. Luckily, I don't wear makeup, which lowers the possibility of a screw up, and means that I don't need to spend money on non-essentials, leaving me more for quality, vegan products. I have very sensitive skin and all the Vegan Cuts products were gentle enough not to cause rashes, or smell overpowering, and hey - no animals harmed in the making of.
Two other non-Vegan Cuts products I wanna rep a little bit here are Schmidt's deodorant and Good Herb Fight face grains. The deodorant I got as a free sample at the Bust Primped Craftacular, and the face grains I bought at the same event.


The Schmidt's sample is sizeable, even if, as a dirty punk, I don't use deodorant everyday (so sue me!) The ingredients are similar to my homemade deodorant, but the scents are varied, and it's a bit more gentle. I love it, and once it and my DIY-deo are used up, I would definitely purchase a tub.
I totally had a crush on the Good Herb Fight lady, but luckily her products are legit as well. It's made with bentonite clay, ground almonds, ground oats, poppy seed, ground rose, ground lavender. It can be used as a face mask as well, if you use less water than with the cleanser and leave it on for longer. Love all-natural stuff that works, and can work double-duty.


ALSO, an important part of my punk philosophy (silly as it may be) is that I am a little wary of pushing products, so a disclaimer - all I am saying is that I bought this stuff on my own (well, except the Schmidt's, which was a free sample,) genuinely love it all, believe the businesses operate ethicly, and they work for me. Everyone is different.
So yes! That is my wordy post! Do you have any favorite vegan beauty products or routines? I'm still looking for good vegan facial sunscreen, if you have any recommendations.

13 comments:

  1. ooh ginger in a face mask...interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually go to the Skin Clinic in Delhi for my beauty treatments. When infeasible, I advise staying inside, avoiding stress, if you have to go out, stay in the shade and wear sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avoiding stress?!???!?? I'm screwed.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for Vegan Cuts Beauty Boxes! I loved my Beauty Boxes when I got them and it looks like you got to sample a lot of really great products! The face mask sounds really great. I have some of the Schmidt's Deodorant (which I got in my Vegan Cuts Beauty Box actually) in the Bergamot Lime scent and I love it.

    I would love to see a post on some of your DIY beauty products! I'm trying to move more towards DIY and found a lot of cool DIY organic all natural makeup but I'd love to see some of the things you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bergamot lime sounds very interesting..
      my DIY stuff isn't as pretty but I'll try to put together a post on that for you soon!

      Delete
  4. No need to justify the use of a few great personal care products — even cosmetics. I'm guessing there are very few people who wouldn't be interested in reading about them. I've read about argon oil on another blog and it sounds like something I want to try. I do the homemade deodorant thing, too, but I must have messed up the last batch cause it made my pits red and itchy. I just remelted it and added a lot more coconut oil and it seems OK now. Schmidt's sounds like a good alternative if mine doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it's mostly a guilt problem I have with myself. I like to see other people's posts like this.
      Homemade deodorant is SO much cheaper, it's incredible. But yes sometimes I have the same irritation problem. The only thing I don't like about it too much is that the coconut oil makes it feel like I sweat more than usual. But I really like the Schmidt's!

      Delete
    2. And if you're not careful, the oil can stain dark-colored clothes.

      Delete
  5. I sort of vaguely touched on some of this conflict in the post I recently did about shit I buy, but I really appreciate you taking the time to talk more about your punk ethic and conscious consumerism! I am always on the lookout for better natural deodorants, so I'll have to try that one. Also that Good Fight stuff sounds RAD. Also, I'm going to keep checking the comments for sunscreen suggestions, because I am in desperate need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely thought of you while writing this up.
      A friend recommended California Baby sunscreen! I have yet to try it. I think right now I use Aveeno.

      Delete
  6. Just wanted to mention I used avocado oil in the bread, not avocado. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw yr reply. That makes more sense.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.