Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Union Square Farmers' Market: Summer

For Ingrid! The Union Square market is so huge it's impossible to take a photo of the whole place, but here are some stalls and their summer produce. Some different stuff from what they have in September.


I liked that this lady had her arms full of flowers. Also, maybe you can see, the Gorzynski Organic Farm sign is crossed out to read Gorzynski Ornery Farm. Ha!

                               Raspberries, strawberries, cherries, currants. Something yellow.

                                                  Lambsquarter is the cutest name.

                                                              Towering Pile of Peas-a

Love these g-d scapes! Was going through old photos and found a white bean spread with garlic scapes I made, and I ought to do that again.

                                                           purple beans, yella beans

                           So many radishes! So many beets! Such color kohlrabi! Fennel fun!

                                        I have been eating so many cherries lately. It's great.

                                      Cherries on the fire escape under summer cloud cover.

11 comments:

  1. How do they get all that stuff stacked up like that? Are they out there all day every day? Down here, Farm Markets last just three or four hours at a time once a week. You like Lambs Quarter's better than Lamb's Ears? I prefer the Ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea! If I were more like Sarah I'd get up early to watch them set up. The market is there 4 days a week 8-6 or so, year-round! They work hard for it.
      Is lamb's ear edible? my mom grows it. It's so soft!

      Delete
  2. I really really need to get to the Union Square Market sooner rather than later. Everything looks so beautiful and amazing. That berry table, the cherries and the tomatoes really caught my eye. I wish I could get a delivery of all of those things to my house (for less than a CSA price). What time did you go, it didn't look too crowded?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do! That would be great if they delivered! I've always thought about getting a CSA but haven't found one near enough to me that I'd be available to pick up.
      This was Saturday before work at about 9. Saturday is probably their busiest day, but if you went out there on a monday early-ish, I'm sure it wouldn't be crowded.

      Delete
  3. WOW! Summer is the best season, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, though fall is pretty fun too. Just less stuff.

      Delete
  4. I so love/hate the union sq market.... I have a few favorite vendors (the one with the purple mizuna) that i hit and go. But honestly some of them just really jack the prices up- $6/lb for wax beans???
    I always have to get one of those hard as a rock pretzels when i'm there too although its just a matter of time until i break a tooth on one of them....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They DO jack up the prices, like crazy! Luckily I never need to buy much at a time so it seems like less, but still.
      Not a pretzel fan but I do love those huge oatmeal carrot cookies.

      Delete
  5. Hooray! So glad you went back (I do remember your fall post!) to show off the early summer produce. And holy carrot, radish, et al stacks! I can see how doing that would be really soothing to ones OCD tendencies. Errr., not that I could see myself doing that. ;)

    I think your Farmer's Market wins over mine, paws down. Beautiful & bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those stacks are out of control.
      This is definitely the best farmer's market I've seen, even around NY. But it is expensive.

      Delete
  6. As a scape lover, you might enjoy the scape cartoon we posted today:
    http://www.kalecrusaders.com/2014/07/garlic-scape-ii.html

    Thank you so much for the scape / snake inspiration (via your comment on Jess Scone's blog a week ago)!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.