Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, June 6, 2014

Salads, Spoils

About those meals I prepped...

spring salad mix, baked sweet potato, sprouts, avocado, tomato, dried cranberry, raw pumpkin seeds

Basically the same but not as pretty: greens mix, sundried tomato AND cherry tomato, roasted sweet potato, avocado, pumpkin seeds. With nooch on top.

                             raw collard salad with onion, tomato, sweet potato, chickpeas

                                               Then smothered in tahini-miso dressing.
All that sweet potato means I'm working on my summer tan without even trying.


I also made a (Portabella) and Dandelion Greens Saute from Jae Steele's Get it Ripe. She uses shiitakes, this was good in any case. I have to remember to use that cookbook more often; I really like it. On the side are two slabs of tofu with sriracha and soy sauce.
Two random meals from last week, from when I didn't have time or effort to prep:

Mediterranean WF salad bar box: raw kale salad, 2 dolmas, 2 falafels, an artichoke heart, some roasted red pepper slices, hummus.

            Paradis lunch: jeweled quinoa salad, raw kale, roasted broccoli, radishes. Legit.
But! When you DON'T eat out, that means more money for sweet splurges, like stumbled upon ice cream trucks, after a dinner out with G's friend and our old co-worker (Quantum Leap) (no photos) (friends) (good food.)

              The same Van Leeuwen truck that was down on Crosby Street this past weekend.

Ummm, G and I both agreed this this was way better than Lula's Ice Cream. Sorry!! They did only have four vegan flavors though: banana, chocolate, pistachio, and mint chip. They also sell non-vegan ice cream.


We shared a cone (gross, I know.) Mint chip on the bottom, pistachio on the top. It melted quickly, is maybe the only complaint?? But it was incredible and smooth and delicious. Kinda pricey, which is why we split it...but yeaaa yo.
Ummm so yeah that's all for now. Here is a wee lil birdie that was all up in the spinach at the Farmer's market the other morning.

It was moving really quickly so I couldn't get a good shoot, but it was like nestling in there! Imagine picking up a bunch and getting a friend too?

22 comments:

  1. You really do have a way with salads — combining colorful ingredients that look beautiful and delicious. I made a pretty nice looking chickpea and veggie salad yesterday, but today I just ate the leftover chickpeas plain for breakfast — no attempt at creativity. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, though I think buying the salad mix already helped my case a lot, since it includes radicchio, frisse, and other fun, colored lettuces. I even meant to roast the chickpeas, but was too lazy and hot to do it.

      Delete
    2. I usually 'roast' my chickpeas in a wok. You can add whatever flavor you want and the chickpeas taste toasty and delicious. And I agree that salad mix ups the beauty and taste of salad without the hassle. I'm growing pretty lettuces in pots and adding a few leaves to salad makes the salad look really good.

      Delete
  2. YES. Food prep for the week is always the best idea. I made roasted red pepper and baby artichokes for my future salads just yesterday! Now I am craving sweet potato too--just have to go and find some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for roasting the peppers yrself! It's never something I think to do, though it's so easy. I should have just thrown some in with the beets.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know that truck had vegan ice cream! Totally going to try it! :D and delicious looking salads:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should. It was increeeeedible!

      Delete
  4. Have you ever thought of having your own Salad prep business? You could not give the customers a choice though. They would have to take whatever crazy mix of ingredients you decided to put in the bowl. You would be the Salad Dominatrix.

    Great choice picking the Pistachio flavor. I'd have picked Banana for the other scoop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that sounds like a dream job, haha!! Salad dominatrix. I like the sound of that.
      G opted for the mint chip, as he's the fan - I probably would have picked chocolate. The banana also would probably be awesome with chocolate too.

      Delete
  5. I definitely would have chosen the pistachio flavor as well, that sounds really great! I'm a little jealous I won't lie ;) Your salads look amazing as always, I've never thought of putting sweet potato in a salad but I should definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you can't find the truck, Lula's will always be there if you make it into the city.
      Sweet potato is THE BEST in salads. Love it.

      Delete
  6. Babe, if sharing a cone is considered gross, then probably we should all none of us ever have sex again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Good point! And then where's the fun or flavor in life?

      Delete
  7. Good looking salad stuff there! Those WF dolmas are good, and their salad bar hummus is so fluffy i really belive they make it there. I totally didn't know that truck had vegan ice cream either!! I'll definately try some soon- pistachio is one of my favorites when its done well.
    Do you ever go to ample hills? I have no idea if that's near you in brooklyn but they had 3-4 vegan flavors when we went.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love WF hummus!
      If you see the truck, definitely run after it til it stops and you can get pistachio ice cream! Have never been to Ample Hills (though I looked through their new cookbook) as it's not all that close but I can make a detour now that I know they have vegan options. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  8. As I was grocery shopping (aimlessly, should have made a list), I tried to channel you and think about what to put in salads. I forgot to pick up a few things, and now that I've seen this - I have an additional few items to pick up. My goal is to eat some amazing salads this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes shopping with a list can lead to some creative choices, but I usually like to have a list as a guide. Looking forward to seeing yr salads!

      Delete
  9. Pistachio!! Pistachio is my faaaavourite! I need to get my local place to make it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I'd actually tasted it before! But now it will be a favorite here too.

      Delete
  10. We're almost in salad weather here, so I will take inspiration from the riot of colourful salads once the mercury hits the right spot. Talking of hitting the spot - pistachio for me too please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sweet potato-based bowls! They bring a nice vibrant color to the dishes! And wow on ice cream, I would love to try the pistachio one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catching up on my reading :) I love jae steele's cookbooks, but I am the same way with them...they sit on my shelf a lot. Here's to getting more use out of them!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.