Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

SALAD SAMURAI PARTY

There's other stuff I wanted to blog about but have not yet, but ahhhh tonight's events take precedence. There was work I wanted to get done tonight, but after receiving an email about free/cheap things to do in the city (I signed up to get them daily, but rarely ever read them) at about 4 pm with the subject "TALK SHOWS, MET OPERA, SALAD SAMURAI" I decided to a) read the email and then b) walk to the LES to a book release by an awesome lady of an awesome vegan cookbook (That would be Salad Samurai by Terry Hope Romero in case you aren't following) where free drinks, desserts, and salad samples will be served! Work be damned!


The book release bash was held at MooShoes, the vegan shoe store I blogged about a while back. G and I got there earlyish and looked around at shoes we couldn't afford and cookbooks I already own.


Cookies were out on the counters, but G and I got dinner first like good little vegans. Yea Dawg, an all-vegan hot dog cart was providing sustenance outside.

toppings bar - in the back, unlabeled, are pineapple, kraut, dill pickles, and pickled red cabbage
G and I each got a loaded dawg, which came with all the toppings plus a kale caesar salad on the side. This was 10 dollars.

The dawgs were really good! I actually could have done with fewer toppings so as to taste it a little better, but when we party, we party hard. If you can't read the menu up top, it says the dawgs are soy and gluten free. They were a little soft, but awesome for whatever they were made out of.


Inside was even more food waiting for us.

Macarons and other cookies by Sweet Maresa. (photo by Greg)
Deviled Kale salad with pumpernickel croutons samples by Terry:


my plate (by Greg):

Good stuff. That cookie was kind of peanut buttery? I dunno. It was vegan.
The crowd:


I knew a couple people, but was mostly freaking out, for whatever reason. Coming from work on the spur of the moment I was totally unprepared (and frazzled and tired and smelly) and I wished I'd had some zines with me! I did meet J Legume, Jess's lady, and rambled maniaclly to her (so sorry!) and decided it was time to GET OUT.
But not before getting one more photo...

ahhhhhhhhhh (Isa ahhhh I'm sorry I'm such a weeeeeirdo)
K THAT'S ALL GO EAT SOME SALADS. Also, samurai is a really bizarre word if you look at it long enough and time it so many times.

18 comments:

  1. It was a weird night but ummmm the cookies were amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going from work to an event is usually overwhelming for me, so I can imagine how you felt! But you captured some great photos of what looks like a great cookbook launch! Deviled Kale Salad sounds pretty fantastic, and now I really want a tofu dog! Cute photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer time is perfect for faux dogs. The kale salad was good! I thought it was nachoy cheeze on there at first.
      And haha, thanks, you are kind. I look like a dirty dope but whatever! I was thrilled to be next to Isa.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a really fun event with unusually generous and interesting food samples. Did Terry speak or was it just a party? I love the gluten-free hot dogs but can't help but wonder if there were any gf buns to be had. You New Yorkers have all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry spoke briefly, yea. I guess it was technically a book signing but since I already had the book and was worn out, I skipped out after she said a few words.
      The woman running the cart asked if we wanted Whole wheat buns; I didn't ask what the alternative was. Sorry!

      Delete
  4. A Vegan Hot Dog Cart????? That would be my dream to own a Vegan Hot Dog Cart (if I wasn't so unambitious and anti-social). Maria Bennedetto is my hero!
    http://nycitylens.com/2014/03/new-york-scenes-the-vegan-hot-dog-vendor/
    Why does G say it was a weird night and only the Cookies were amazing? The whole thing looks fantastic to me. I'm out of my mind with jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am unambitious and antisocial too, that's why I only BUY food from vegan hot dog carts. Had you heard about them before? Or did you just do a search for that site now? It WAS a weird night, as I am unambitious and antisocial and he was trying to force me out of that comfort zone. Nearly had a breakdown approaching Isa.

      Delete
    2. Methinks you are not as unambitious (hello! Marmalade Umlaut! Ring a bell?) or antisocial (didn't you get picked up by some strangers a few weeks ago and go to their pot luck?) as you would like to think. I understand your trepidation approaching Isa. I once shared an elevator with Ingrid Newkirk but couldn't open my mouth.

      Delete
    3. Yes, didn't you say you used to work in the same building as PETA? Or you interviewed with them? I'm not sure I'd recognize Ingrid Newkirk though.
      As for marmalade umlaut, I have been seriously slacking! I used to put them out way more often. If I really tried, I'd do a lot better work. Whatever. As for the strangers' cult party, I dunno what happened there. She was nice and I was in a manic phase.

      Delete
  5. What a fun event for a cool sounding book! Looks like they went all out, I love it! I still haven't gotten to Moo Shoes either, I really want to go and drool over shoes I can't afford. It certainly looks like there was a lot of great food to try and how fun that the hot dog cart exists/was there! I'm not a big hot dog fan but I totally would have gone for that salad. I can understand getting overwhelmed too, I bet you lasted longer than I would have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighborhood is a lot of fun, I do hope you get there sometime.
      I don't often do hot dogs, but this was just what I needed, apparently.

      Delete
  6. MooShoes events always freak me out because there's so much veganness and PEOPLE!!! I was really sorry to have to miss this, but I did get the book (love Terry's solo efforts so much...as well as the joint ones, of course); thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.
    P.S. LESS toppings on the dog? No way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was very much veganness. It was cool though, not too huge a crowd. How did you find out about it? I only heard about it so last-minute - I thought to tell you about it but didn't even know how. Also, turns out you are totally on top of vegan events anyway ;)
      The pineapple was a little weird.

      Delete
  7. Holy moly! What a piece of serendipitousness. If that's even a word. Nice work on opening that email - maybe you sensed the veganity within! How's the book going - would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cool! lucky you!

    i just got the book for my bday! cant wait to cook from it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool event, I wish I could have gone! I love that there was a vegan hot dog cart outside and then more goodies to snack on inside. The book looks amazing, I had to hold off until the end of last month before I had the cash to order my copy so it should be here tomorrow. Excited!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, there you are! Fun! I remember being so excited about going to Moo Shoes and thinking it was cool but then not buying anything but buying my shoes at payless instead. It's cool you went to that event.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.