Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2014

Salad, Dumplings - Not Salad Dumplings

Okay, and tonight for two semi-unrelated posts that bookend Terry Hope Romero's Salad Samurai:
I spent the weekend browsing through the cookbook but had a lot of stuff on my mind and couldn't quite get it together enough to buy ALL the ingredients to make a salad, but a couple in particular caught my eye and when grocery shopping (at Trader Joe's in Downtown Brooklyn - I had to go to the DMV a few blocks away,) I picked up a few ingredients to incorporate Terry's techniques into my salad.
This salad is arugula, red onion, tempeh bacon chunks, avocado, and griddled corn (charred in a pan on the stove-top.)


Leftovers: arugula, avocado, tempeh bacon, carrot.


The other not-entirely Terry related experience (ok, really, it was just in the same neighborhood as the MooShoes event, it was just funny because I don't go downtown all that often) is dinner from Tuesday night. Greg gets these very specific yet inexplicable cravings sometimes and the man won't rest until they are sated. Tuesday, he needed dumplings. We meandered downtown towards Chinatown. "Which way is it?" "I dunno, I think we just keep going down!"
After passing a fair amount of perhaps more authentic Chinese eateries, we ended up at Vanessa's Dumplings, old standby of poor college students all over the city (cheap, filling, quick, carb-y.)


We each got a serving of 8 steamed vegetable dumplings. Soy sauce, hot sauce, and a bike polo game in Sara Roosevelt park while the sun went down. Sometimes this city isn't so bad.

18 comments:

  1. Them Dumpling Innards are quite impressive. Wonder how they keep the filling looking so fresh and bright?

    Do you have a drivers license? I'm just curious why you would need to go to the DMV, but you don't have to answer if it is too private a question. But, seriously, why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing! For a kinda-chain, the dumplings were good. There's a very quick turnover, so I assume the dumplings don't hang around long enough to get depressing-looking and deflated.
      I do have a driver's license. I don't drive often, but I do know how. The license functions mostly as an ID which needed to be replaced since my wallet was stolen a couple weeks ago. Just can't seem to hang on to those things.

      Delete
    2. In hindsight, you could have called this post 'Salad Dumplings'.

      How horrible to have to deal with the DMV yet not drive regularly.

      Delete
  2. The salad book is looking better and better as I see reviews popping up. I expected it to be good, but I didn't expect to start wanting it. I can appreciate Greg's cravings, especially when they involve dumplings. Sometimes you just gotta have what you gotta have. It's a good thing he'll never be pregnant — that's when the cravings really go into super-drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any reviews on the interwebz yet! Will have to look around to see what other people are making.
      Ha! It IS a good thing he'll never be pregnant. I'm not the patient, bring-yr-partner-ice-cream-in-the-middle-of-the-night type.

      Delete
  3. Those dumplings look maahvelous! Those tempeh chunks are huge, and I bet tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I actually ought to have cut them smaller maybe.

      Delete
  4. Those salads look great! I love any and all tempeh so that seals the deal for me. Funny you walked all the way to chinatown when there's a vanessa's dumplings on 14th st..... On st mark's dumpling man is good and cheap, there's a veg and tofu one and they have a different vegan one every day. Kinda fun cuz you can watch them being made.
    Does greg get chocolate cravings? Or are they only savory?
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg eats chocolate on the reg enough not to get actual cravings :)
      I love tempeh too! So maligned! Yeah, I think we walked until inspiration hit. Plus we had to stop at the Astor K mart. I'll check out the St. mark's dumplings! That sounds fun.

      Delete
  5. Wow those dumplings look out of this world! My mouth is watering. I've never tried cubing my tempeh for bacon, but I will now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It;s easy! These only needed to marinate 10 minutes.

      Delete
  6. The dumplings and the salads look fantastic! How funny that Greg gets those cravings. I love the park pics too, the little bikers are too cute! Isn't the DMV the WORST?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you can make reservations at the dmv now! I was in and out in 10 minutes, if you can believe it! I loved the little bikers too, haha.

      Delete
  7. Tempeh bacon sounds really delish! Sounds like a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dumplings, yes please. Not salad ones, though, the big carb-y kind. I think the students know what's what when it comes to filling up!

    Is the tempeh bacon ready made or have you got a special secret recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big, carby stuff FTW.
      The tempeh bacon was prepared by moi, recipe by Terry. It's maple syrup, tamari, ketchup, veg. oil, and liquid smoke! Pretty easy. Just let it marinate for 10 minutes.

      Delete
  9. Now I want a dumpling salad, ooo that would be good. These salad look great.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.