Search This Blog

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Groceries, Prep Mess, Etc.

Mondays are my Sundays, but it's nice because everything is open and running but not that many people are out. Thus, I usually have pretty productive days. This past Monday most importantly involved food prep, which I have been terrible about doing recently.
Geared up for prep day with a smoothie: frozen kale, frozen banana, flax seed, spirulina, protein powder, lemon juice.

                      Then I took a break to read blogs and photograph my cat in the sun rays.

Grocery haul pt. 1: portabellas, 2 onions, hunk of ginger, 2 limes, 2 zucchinis, collard greens and dandelion greens.

GH pt 2: 2 avocados, 3 beets, 3 sweet potatoes, an orange, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, and applesauce. I am bummed about the applesauce because it has high fructose corn syrup in it. The store clerk picked it off the shelf for me so I didn't have a chance to look at the ingredients, and I only bought it because it was the only one they had and I thought I'd be making the recipe today but I didn't. Whatever. A little high fructose corn syrup is not the end of the world (deep breaths.)
Here is the mess I made prepping lunch, salad for the week, and two dinners.

                                Food explosion all over the kitchen. Luckily I clean up nicely.
 The day was gorgeous so I ate lunch on the fire escape:

mixed spring greens, sprouts, carrot, tomato, sundried tomato, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and avocado. With Braggs and lemon juice.
Then, in another out of character move, I went into the city AGAIN to see a movie with my friend:

                                                It was at Lincoln Center! So schwing!

                       Grrrl punx from Stockholm form a band. This was a really cute movie.
That's all for now. Take care.

15 comments:

  1. Yeah, I love cooking and that, but the washing up? Not so much. Sure that salad would perk me up though. What else did you make in your marathon cook a thon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I zone out when I wash up, I guess. It's kinda fun. Food prep deets tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Monday is my Sunday too and I love it for all of the same reasons you mentioned. I also love that Sunday is my Saturday because it is my favorite day of the week and it is just the start of my weekend :) All of you meals and prep look really great and that salad is exactly what my ideal salad would look like! It sounds amazing!! Love that pic of Haxan, so cute! And I love all things Scandinavian, the movie sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salad was good, but I need to find a better way to get carrots in the salad. These were too sharp, haha.

      Delete
  3. I admire your food prep immensely; I've been so incredibly lazy lately (even for me) that I've been relying on those TJ's pre-portioned, raw nut packs to sustain me through the day. Is that roasted sweet potato and sauteed string beans? Oh, man; I would have eaten them all before they had a chance to become salad lunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been lazy too, which is why I made an extra effort this week. It's like, how did I ever make all those meals?
      It's roasted sweet potato, yes, but the greens are sauteed dandelion greens! Good stuff.

      Delete
  4. Gotta admit, I'm super envious of your ability to make a good Salad at home for yourself.

    Haxan isn't your cat, you're her human.

    Donate the Apple Sauce to a food pantry.

    and finally: Wow! Lincoln Center=Classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too hard. Just throw a buncha stuff in a bowl. Some people are even better than I am.
      Good call on the applesauce. Will do.

      Delete
  5. Its a very nice recipes raw food recipes for beginners like me ,Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely groceries! When I'm on my game, my Sunday prep looks similar. I definitely have experienced some laziness over the last month. Similar to what Shen said, you know how to make a great salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great salads know how to find me....

      Delete
  7. Considering the food prep was for a week, it doesn't seem so bad. And you look pretty good at keeping most of the "dirt" on the cutting boards. My husband spreads food crud all over the counters and the floor. Do you make enough stuff to last the whole week? I've never been good at that. I tend to make everything at the last minute. My work lunches were usually things left over from the night before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I got some leaves on the floor but mostly it was contained. The meals lasted about 4 days, I ran out on the 5th, and had to cobble together one final lunch and dinner, with stuff I had at home. Then I have one day where I let myself eat a meal out, and on the 7th day no rest - but prep!

      Delete
  8. Mondays off are the best! I love the flavor of dandelion greens, though they're a little strong for a whole salad for me. Prepping one day makes the whole week of meals so much easier and less stressful. Your lunch salad sounds so good- i've been making a lot more salads now that it's warm.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, they are a little bitter but the soy sauce, ginger, and onions cut it pretty well. my biggest problem with them was that they're delicate (well, more so than kale or collard, which I usually use) and it makes it difficult to wash them.
      Yea, I feel like I even stopped making so many salads but I'm back, baby!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.