Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

FOOD FRIENDZ pt 4

Guys, sometimes magical things happen. Sometimes you impulsively leave yr apartment on a rare social night to go to a queer, punk show despite not knowing anyone there and you just sit and constantly check yr phone and occasionally look up and try not to look too alone and then quickly look back down and scrawl in yr notebook while desperately wishing the show would start, and try not to buy a beer to feel less alone and then check yr phone again.
And sometimes another awkward person who impulsively showed up to the show alone approaches you, and you start a conversation, find out yr both from Queens, find out yr both vegans, find out you have lots of other stuff in common to talk about (maybe not so unbelievable at a queer, punk show) and exchange e-mails, offer zines and in return, get a mailing address along with an invitation to a vegan dinner party just one day later.
Which is how I ended up at a new friend's apartment, only 5 minutes away from my apartment, chatting up lots of rad, creative people - some vegan, all awesome.
Here is my plate of food:

celery sticks and a bell pepper strip, I dunno why, spicysweet mango salad (made by my friend's partner, who is a chef at a ceviche restaurant), samosa potato salad (this was awesome!), a strawberry, and I'm not sure what the glob is on the left - I think it was cumin and curry carrot salad or something, and one roasted zucchini with pesto in the middle. There were also jackfruit and mangosteens from Chinatown, and 2 raw desserts that I didn't actually try.
It is totally unlike me to show up alone to a stranger's party but this girl was so friendly, and her friends were all so cool and chatty and inquisitive and interesting that it was impossible to feel uncomfortable. I'm really glad I went! Sometimes you just have to force yrself to do stuff like that, I guess. Plus, I brought some zines and I hope she writes something for it. Perhaps in the future I can share one of her recipes because all that food was incredible.
A seltzer with drinking vinegar cheers to new friends, also a couple mosh pit slams for good measure.

15 comments:

  1. So awesome! I love perfectly random moments, and that a wonderful new friend(s) came out of it! We all need more of that in our lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I don't know what there is to be so afraid of.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you're being indoctrinated into a cult. Beware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You;re probably right. Thanks for the warning.

      Delete
  3. Wow!! That is SO great! I totally understand the initial awkwardness and am really impressed you took such a risk- new friends can be hard to make as a grown up. How perfect that you're neighbors too!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! making friends as a grown up, what's up with that?? Especially non-work friends, who only want to gripe about work, oy. That gets really tiring.

      Delete
  4. What a great story! How exciting to find new friends that share so many of the same interests as you! I'm also learning that amazing things can happen when you actually leave your house ;) Who would have thought?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for new friends! I'm always afraid to go to bars alone (which is weird cause I totally love dining in restaurants alone). Something about drinking along and being afraid that people will think I don't have any friends or something. Stupid, I know. But this just goes to show that when you get outside your comfort zone, good things can happen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the other thing - neither of us were actually drinking! Drinking at shows and then talking to strangers makes things slightly less awkward (and I actually love going to bars alone) but this was at a weird venue and she is sober, I didn't want to spend money and am cutting way back on booze.
      So true about challenging yrself to get outside the comfort zone, though. Love it.

      Delete
  6. Omg, that sounds like a positively magical evening!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.