Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day Outside

My brother was in town for a wedding this weekend and it nicely coincided with Father's day. So we had a nice celebration, as a cousin was also in town and a seminarian my mother knows was also visiting. My mom pre-grilled vegetables in the morning while my brother was driving back from PA. I got to the folks' house around 4 and we watched the end of the France-Honduras World Cup game.
The spread on the table - we ate in the patio:

                             tomato-basil-onion salad, corn and black beans, grilled carrot

salad greens (there was other stuff I missed on the table, mainly the meats and a quiche for the omnis)

                                            my plate - with added grilled zucchini.


                      Cicero steals a seat. At least he wasn't eating the fish off people's plates.

I baked lemon poppy seed cookies for my dad (I gave him a choice between these and green tea walnut biscotti, which I still may make as I've made the culinary poppy seed joke before, but he opted for these.) The recipe is from The Vegan Cookie Connoiseur, which is great because it uses such simple ingredients. These were very easy to make and people liked them.

                          Stewed strawberries, fresh pineapple, lemon poppyseed cookies!
It was a lovely day. Today is also my dad's birthday (and Bloomsday!) so many happy returns to him. He has always been a strong but gentle and positive force in my life, and I'm realizing that and appreciating it more as I get older. Thank you for everything, Poppy.

22 comments:

  1. The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur has been on my radar for a while now; have you made the samoas?! Everything looks yummy and very festive; these are the kinds of traditions I really like. Also, Cicero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not but I will check them out! They look like they'd be a lot of work but so delicious...

      Delete
  2. Very interesting slice of life that you present here. I'm fascinated that
    you gave your Dad a CHOICE between the two Cookies? You couldn't make both Cookies for him? Nonetheless, beautiful spread your Mom put out. Love the pic of Cicero. A belated Happy Fathers Day and Birthday to Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when asked he answered very quickly for the lemon cookies so I thought maybe he wouldn't like the green tea ones? He doesn't drink coffee anymore so perhaps he doesn't want tea flavored things?? I dunno. In any case: Cookies.
      Same slight slice of life out of yr Sunday post too. Interesting.

      Delete
  3. Lovely spread! And it looks like an awesome outdoor setting! Cicero knew that he deserved a seat, too. How ironic that at the same time, we were dining at the Lebanese restaurant, watching the same game (along with the server, who was more interested in soccer than waiting tables). I as well extend belated birthday to Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really aren't so different after all!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a really pleasant family get together with good food for everyone. We had a really nice father's day, too, and it was dry and sunny just long enough to eat dinner outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that was nice of the weather, wasn't it?

      Delete
    2. I meant brunch. It was brunch.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a really nice Father's Day with your family. The spread looks really beautiful and the lemon poppyseed cookies sound amazing. I love lemon poppyseed, I bet these were amazing! Love the pic of Cicero too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a little on the sweet side; I might cut back next time - or at least add more delicious lemon tartness. They were especially good with the juice from the strawberries!

      Delete
  6. aw what a fun day! and those cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the vegan cookie connoisseur! Everything I've made from it has been great, the jam thumbprint recipe is one of my go tos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jam thumbprints are so cute. I guess I've only made three or four cookies from the book!

      Delete
  8. I watched France Honduras too, alas, the meal that accompanied it didn't look half as good. Oh for football cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Argh, writing fail. I meant the meal I had with the meal didn't look half as good as yours up there. Damn you words, you're so tricksy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOUR STUPID BLOG KEEPS EATING MY COMMENTS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wait. Maybe it's just that you started doing the comment approval thing. I was wondering whether the god I don't believe in was smiting my reference to atheism. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it's definitely been eating my comments. I had one here about not knowing what a seminarian was #atheistlife and several others on other posts don't exist. Grr.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.