Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Celebrate Summer Solstice

Happy Summer! Let's get warm.
I took Thursday off, and baked green tea-walnut biscotti (VCIYCJ) to bring into work on Friday, to make it look like I accomplished stuff.


I also worked a bit on a new zine. A sneak peak:

                 (non-homemade ICED (non-dairy) lattes, that is. more on that another time.)
This morning I walked through the farmer's market and grabbed a few things that spoke to me, to make a seasonal dinner. Ended up with garlic scapes (I can't say no! Those things are so cute) and shiitake mushrooms.

The tomatoes are from the grocery store, though they are showing up at the market too! I just happened to already have them at home.
Sauteed the veg with shallots and olive oil, thyme, salt, and red pepper flakes. Threw them over gluten-free soybean noodles.


Also acceptable would have been the Summer Lovin' Curried Corn and Veggie Chowder from Appetite for Reduction that I made a couple nights ago.


All this cookbook cooking! I haven't bought a new cookbook in a while but this one was much-awaited and I was so so happy to see it come through the store!


It looks awesome!! Terry Hope Romero is a queen. A Queens queen. A Queens vegan queen. The book is organized by season so I'm sure some seasonally appropriate salads will make their way to you soon.
Also in case you were curious YES I have my summer jam ready:

14 comments:

  1. Ahhh I love the little peek into your zine!! Your illustration is pretty amazing. Love it. I think I may have to order another few issues soon :)

    Nice little haul from the Farmer's Market. Is it me or does it seem like Farmer's Markets outside of NY are actually really cost effective and here everything is more expensive than in the store? Either way the produce is always amazing. The meal you made looks great too. And I've been eating soup more now that it's hot out than I did in the winter! So strange! Yours looks amazing :)

    Happy Belated Summer Solstice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, all wacked out on coffee. That's how I plan to spend much of the summer.
      You are so right about the farmer's market prices!! I don't know how everyone else is able to spend so little! It's kinda frustrating, but I keep telling myself it's a worthwhile treat. maybe I just need to learn to buy less at a time.
      I think this soup is supposed to be served hot, but it's not bad cold either.

      Delete
  2. Woot woot! Summer is here! Lots of great celebratory dishes coming out of the kitchen. I'd love some shots of the market! I bet they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to get some pictures in the morning this weekend; it gets crowwwwded later.

      Delete
  3. I wondered what you were doing for the Solstice.

    How does the store feel about you handling the merchandise like that?

    Does Terry have any Salads with Kale, Sweet Potatoes and Pumpkin Seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store doesn't care anymore how I handle the book cuz I bought it! Don't tell me you don't recognize the mets shirt in the background of the pic. All the salads will soon be mine!
      She does not have exactly that one, but probably a similarly delicious one.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reminding me to get out Appetite for Reduction. I always forget about favorite cookbooks as soon as I get new ones to play with. The salad book sounds so creative, but I'm too busy right now to take on a new cookbook.The soybean noodle stir-fry looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few cookbooks in regular rotation, but many of them go neglected after the first bit of excitement too. AfR is solid most of the time.

      Delete
  5. I want those cookies! I spent Saturday at the farmer's market too in the morning. I got some picnic items, fruits & veggies...I also checked out the teen craft show next door at the library!

    When your zine is ready - let's trade! I will be printing out The Vegan 10 this week & send you your copy. I have #8 of TSAHG out and am almost done with #9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies were good! Biscotti are fun to make, even with the oven on for 2 hours.
      I'll let you know when the zine is done and send it out! It's slow going so far...

      Delete
  6. Happy Solstice! I didn't celebrate much bc I was busy celebrating a makeup Father's Day on Saturday since I missed actual Father's Day while I was at Bonnaroo. Too many holidays! So little time!! I'm also way excited for Salad Samarai! I need to order that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much holiday! You always have such nice solstice parties. I wish I had people to celebrate it with.

      Delete
  7. Biscotti is like the do it again cookie. the are fun to make especially for "girls like Us."
    dig the buzzed non made at home latte face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is more fun with Girls Like Us!
      Heh, thank you. Coffee hits hard sometimes.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.