Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, June 30, 2014

Breakfasts

I TRIED to make my own nut milk (almond-macadamia + dates + water) but might have soaked them slightly too long? In any case, the very expensive nut milk soured. Forced myself to blend it up and squeezed it through cheesecloth anyway, and then it just splurted everywhere. No fun.
Instead of making iced lattes, I am sticking to my usual summer cold brew.

1/4 heaping cup of ground coffee to 1 cup of water, plus an extra half scoop or so of chicory coffee. Let sit overnight. Strain, distill to taste, add nondairy milk.

Avocado toast! I was on a roll with these for a while - there was an avo sale: 5 for 5 dollars. This particular toast has black salt and cayenne pepper on it.

                                                 Health Warrior coconut chia bar

                                                                        a classic

                               overnight oats: oatmeal, raw pumpkin seeds, maca, raisins

                                           kale-coconut-banana-lime-spirulina smoothie

Everything bagel with arugula, vegan cream cheese, and tomato. I think I technically ate it for lunch, but hey, breakfast food.

Rip Esselstyn's cereal - Triple Berry Walnut flavor. I added almond milk, fresh blueberries, and protein powder. This held me over for a lonnng time.

                                                            hello you beautiful cherries

                                                                    yeah yogurt

                                 more overnight oatmeal: oats, protein powder, blueberries

A morning when I couldn't keep much down, I stuck to juice and poetry. Poetry is the best brain fuel. In case you see it or feel like picking it up, this book is amazing.
Here are two non-breakfasts:

                                                          crazy rug, crazier cat: Seneca

                                                      cute little baby aloe sprouting!

24 comments:

  1. The Macadamia Nut Milk failed?! I'd still drink it anyway.

    Speaking of which, you know what you do when you can't keep much down? You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Failed a big fat fail.
      I coulda used some citrusy coconut water that day.

      Delete
  2. Yay, breakfast! So many tasty looking breakfasts and you know I'm all about the bagel. And the avocado toast!! What kind of bread was that, it looks so good. I've been eating a lot of fruit lately too but I guess summer will do that to ya :)

    Seneca is so cute!!!! Sorry you were not feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The avo toast was on...some random bread, haha I dunno! It wasn't gluten free in any case.

      Delete
  3. A lot of great breakfasts, and I echo Sarah's sentiment: hope you're feeling better.

    I heart avo toast big time. Sadly, my last avocado turned to mush and mold before I could enjoy it - the downside to sales! I am fully impressed by your attempt at nut milk. I haven't even considered trying to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old avocados are the WORST! So sad.
      Not sure I'll be trying to make nut milk again soon.

      Delete
  4. BREAKFAST, man. I definitely need to get back on the cold brew train. That bagel looks pretty delightful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold brew makes every morning like Christmas!!

      Delete
  5. I want to eat all your yummy food! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day FOR SURE - I like super healthy breakfasts, sweet and fruity breakfasts, savory breakfasts, super indulgent breakfasts... I like it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be my favorite if I had more time to savor it, but I'm usually in a rush in the mornings! Sad.

      Delete
  6. Hhmm. Did you soak your nuts on the counter instead of the fridge?? That may have started some funky... Bummer it didn't work out!
    I've been making buckets of cold brew lately, i like it very strong. Good looking meals as usual- hope you liked the chia bar. I randomly found a box of them at a homegoods of all places for cheap! Made my day.
    Love the avocado toast any time of day or year. Hope your tummy is better (or the hangover subsided ;)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did soak on the counter - the recipe said to, but maybe they weren't counting on the heat in my apt.
      I like cold brew really strong too. Grady's (? Grandy's? in the little stub bottle - do you know which I mean?) is really good. I took a tip from them and add chicory to make it slightly naturally sweet!
      The chia bar was very good.

      Delete
  7. The pic of the crazy cat didn't show up for me - too bad. I love the variety in your breakfasts. Just shows...you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad, he's a sweetie.
      Shows...variety?

      Delete
  8. I am so glad you didn't eat Seneca for breakfast! Also, why have I never thought to add black salt to my avo toast????? That is genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! I think I got that black salt tip from Kathy Patalsky! It's like eggy toast!

      Delete
  9. Too bad about the almond milk. I hate when I waste expensive ingredients. If it's really warm, you might want to soak in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been intrigued about making my own milk. When you crack the almond condundrum, let me know your secrets of success. Fingers crossed you're on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I bought vanilla almond milk and drank a tall glass yesterday with cookies. It was so refreshing - I doubt I'd be able to top that.

      Delete
  11. Avocado toast is definitely one of my favourite breakfasts. I ate it almost every day in Mallorca because the avocados were so cheap and ripe and delicious. I always top mine with salt, pepper and nooch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I bet. I wish avos grew here! Nooch is great on avo toast, you're right.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.