Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2014

Produce and Products

A smoothie: kale, frozen banana, protein powder, other stuff maybe, and some of this Sambazon energy acai juice. I tried the juice on its own; it's good! I had a coupon, so it wasn't too pricey either.


Tester recipe for Jess' Greens cookbook - shaved raw Brussels sprouts salad. Plain tofu on the side...

Another Jess tester - soba noodles + veg with a peanut sauce and scallions on top. I couldn't find soba noodles, so I tried these gluten free soybean noodles from Explore Asia. They're really great and so filling. There's 23 grams of protein in one serving, and I get full from eating less than a serving of them. Taste and texture-wise they're very good too.


Soy yogurt with trail mix has been a good snack lately:


A Big Salad on the fire escape. The weather was super warm last week, but it seems to have cooled off a bit again.
           This salad had romaine, endive, tomatoes, zucchini, tempeh, carrots, and hummus.

                                 A quick dinner before running out to meet a friend last week.

                        Success lies in not finishing a bag of these in one day. (I gave it three.)

It had been a while, which meant I relished this everything bagel with tofu cream cheese and iced coffee breakfast all the more.

Another smoothie, the stripped down version. Kale, banana, water, protein powder, trail mix sinking in on top.

                    Flowers my roommate got, added with lilacs from my mom's garden.
TTYL

21 comments:

  1. That bagel breakfast looks heavenly. Just like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I looked so delectable in the mornings.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful smoothies! I'm down with this cookbook you are testing; the shaved brussels and the peanut noodle & veg dish sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both very good! Loving the peanut sauce on everything.

      Delete
  3. Are you on commission for the smoothie marketing board or something? Every time I visit your blog, I end up thinking 'wow, I wish I wasn't too lazy to make smoothies, they look great. Maybe I'll dig that blender out...' Until then, soba noodles FTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Glad you like em, I feel like they always look the same and it's pointless to post the smoothies... Dig out the blender, I say!

      Delete
  4. What's going on with the trail mix in the smoothie? Is it like chewing chocolate chips while you're drinking a milkshake but not really?

    I really have to find some easy-cook noodles for things like this because I am uber lazy when it comes to washing pots and colanders and the like.

    I need that bagel right now (even though I just had one Saturday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I just wanted some texture! And a pretty topping. But I wouldn't know anything about chewing chocolate chips...
      me too! I am sooo lazy about washing strainers and colanders. I usually just hold the lid over the pot and drain them.

      Delete
  5. I've never seen the soybean noodles, but they look interesting. You wouldn't even need to add protein to a stir-fry if it was served over the noodles. And those chips — I'd better not look for those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that bagel looks so amazing. I'm loving the soba (except not soba) noodle bowl... it looks amazing and the raw brussels sprout salad looks great too! Do I spy oranges in there?! Mmm. Your salad and raw snack plate look great too... your tomatoes look extra fresh and ripe. I love that tomato season is coming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! The Brussels salad was mixed with arugula and had orange sections and avocado in there too. Really nice.

      Delete
  7. I think Hannah is in love with you, cuz that Bagel with Cream Cheese is way outta your league. Because of that picture, I'm gonna have to drive five hours and spend $50 in tolls to get myself one of those freakin' Bagels.

    Soba Noodles are ubiquitous. What's this about you not being able to find any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find any soba in the neighborhood supermarket, that's the only place I really looked. But I'm glad I tried these noodles.
      The bagel was worth what I paid, but maybe not $50.

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking you're trying to dissuade me from getting that Bagel for some reason.

      Delete
  8. I love those Explore Asian noodles! And I've been eating a crap ton of Whole Soy lately too. I'M SO GLAD IT'S BACK!!!!! Right now, my fave way is topped with granola, bee-free honee, and Dang toasted coconut chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw yr review! The black noodles looked awesome.
      Ditto - I hadn't realized there was a lack of yogurt until I realized how happy I was they were back :) Love the sound of coconut chips on top!! I've got to try that.

      Delete
  9. I love that its smoothie season again! Yours sound really good. Those soybean noodles sound awesome- and harder to find than soba- my crappy gristede's even has soba noodles.
    Glad the everything stayed on your bagel, its a good looking one. I end up eating more bagels in the summer since they're perfect picnicing food. I wonder where Think gets theirs from. Fyi the whole foods bagels kinda suck.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoothie season rules.
      Yeah, I should ask Think! They always have decent ones.

      Delete
  10. All of Jess' dishes look pretty tasty! And that bagel with cream cheese is a win-win!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.