Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Food I Made, Mother's Day Walk

No treats here. This is pure, strictly unfun food. Well, I mean, it was all still very good but maybe wouldn't qualify as a treat. This is the stuff I've been eating in the meanwhile between all my other spectacular posts.

  Smoothie: kale, spirulina, frozen banana, protein powder, coconut, lemon juice, ginger.

                                Tempeh, cilantro, romaine, carrot, avocado, onion salad.

Stir fry over mun bean noodles. Kale, carrot, bell pepper, eggplant, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar and red pepper flakes.

                       When I remember and have time, hot lemon water in the mornings.

                                    Leftover stirfry, no kale but broccoli + all the other stuff.

I finally found okra, so I kinda made the Bhindi masala. Really, it's just sauteed okra with hing, curry powder, cumin, and cayenne over black eyed peas and topped with a chunky tomato sauce I made. There's red curry paste and coconut in the tomato sauce.

                               Oatmeal, protein powder, cacao nibs, vanilla almond milk

 Curried carrot pate from Ricki Heller, spread into romaine leaves, rather than in collard wraps

                               More pate, with a romaine leaf, this time inside a nori wrap.

               delicious strawberries, but not organic, and not as cheap as Shen can find em.

Cereal! I never buy cereal! But then I did. This is Cascadian Farms Ancient Grains. With almond milk and banana.
Then it was Mother's Day. I ate an orange and went to the folks' house.

We went for a nature walk down to a wildlife reserve, came back, and ate lunch.

This was the lunch salad - Boston lettuce, arugula, onion, chickpeas, carrot, tomato with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Light and nice and real talk with the folks.
Photos from the nature walk:


This is a breach created by Hurricane Sandy. Apparently a lot of the wildlife has changed because of the salt water that has now overtaken previously fresh water.

20 comments:

  1. All of your meals look amazing, so much green! The smoothie is so pretty and those strawberries look nice and ripe. I've been so curious to try okra... I've never had it and the slimy issue scares me a little but I'm still curious. How would you describe the taste?

    The photos from the nature walk are so beautiful. It's crazy how much the hurricane has changed the area and how the impact can still be seen all over. Looks like a really beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm taste wise...it's...okra-y... It's hard to describe, maybe a little grassy?? I don't think you should be put off by the sliminess. I've roasted them before, and those never get slimy but maybe they're best in a recipe that embraces the goo - a gumbo or chili? But it wasn't really even noticeable here - it mostly held the spices on.

      Delete
  2. Hot lemon water! I really need to remember to make myself a mug more often, especially since we have a lemon tree. Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, for "unfun" food, that all looks pretty darn delicious to me. Seriously, your food journal always puts my recent meals to shame. I should just come next time I feel like giving up and just pouring a bowl of cereal for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally into the cereal for dinner thing.

      Delete
  4. I'm gonna have to try the hot lemon water thing.

    I love okra -- must make that dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice way to start the morning - that is, if you have enough time. I usually do it on my days off.

      Delete
  5. blah blah blah; all i can think about is how i have a fridge full of carrots and am going to make this pate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I actually ate it maybe a couple days past its prime, but still enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. This post seems pretty spectacular to me. A Green Smoothie, Salads, Stir-Fries, Bhindi Masala, a Nature Preserve, Mother's Day deets. I very much enjoyed it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will strive for this type of perfection more often.

      Delete
  7. I don't know about unfun - okra always makes me happy and mung bean noodles too, because they're so bouncy. You might say I need to get out more, I can't possibly comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Okra makes me pretty happy too. It's those huge white gummy seeds inside.

      Delete
  8. I second what Shen said. Awesome. Plus, cacao nibs. All good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, it was all pretty good.

      Delete
  9. You eat some delicious meals!!
    That carrot pate sounds sooooo freakin' good but i don't have a food processor and my blender won't blitz up carrots.....hmmm. Love it in the nori roll too. Cacao nibs in oatmeal is genius- the nibs actually have a good amount of caffeine, but i think you have to eat a lot of them to catch a good buzz or anything.
    Looks like a beautiful way to spend mother's day.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noo! A food processor is something I went a long time without, but I'm so glad I have one now.
      I never really thought about the caffeine in nibs but that sounds like one more reason to eat them.

      Delete
  10. Your 'boring' food looks just like my usual food that I don't find boring! I'd love to live at your house and eat boring food every day. I should make some carrot pate and use up the humongous bag of carrots my husband likes to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your smoothie ingredients - I want to try spirulina in my smoothies sometimes! Yum on the bhindi masala, I haven't had okra for awhile, but that looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.