Search This Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Breakfasts, Birthdays, Beyond Sushi

Hello! I've been busy, which is a good thing, but I haven't been taking all that many photos of my food lately. Guess that's summer for you. Some random foodstuffs lately:
Breakfasts have been quick and simple -

                                                                    huge berries or

 cereal (this is Kashi GoLean with banana slices and dried cranberries with vanilla soy milk) or

if I don't have time at home, I'll grab a vegan yogurt from WF (this is WholeSoy lemon with raspberries on top.)
G and I have been seeing his family a lot lately; first was his nephew's 1st birthday and later in the week was his younger brother's birthday. I don't know why I didn't get any photos because they always have delicious vegan food, but the celebrations seemed more important. I did get this shot though:

              This was for Ben's 21st birthday part cuz 21 is still a tiny little babyyyyy :D jkjk jk
                                (Edited to add these that Andy sent me from the party)

    G's adorable nephew, Luca and the chocolate raspberry cake from Vegan with a Vengeance

The cake plus strawberry cream cupcakes and lemon banana cupcakes from Chloe's Kitchen

G and I also went out for lunch one day at work, which we don't do together often. We went back to Beyond Sushi after what seems like a long time away.
He got miso soup and a roll of the month (Black rice, avocado, chayote, and pickled jalapeno topped with jicama and guajillo slaw) and two pieces. I got the magic mushroom roll and two pieces (including the piece of the month - black rice with charred corn and guajillo salsa)

                                                     The second piece is a mango piece.

We also stopped at Peacefood for a magic cookie (what a magical lunch I had!) before sugar crashing our way back to work.

Random hydration to end the post with. I bought one of these because it was on sale, but also because the coworker next to me took a sip and couldn't stop saying how good this was. I like VitaCoco coconut waters but this wasn't my favorite. Definitely not something I'd exclaim to a coworker about. I think I like the mango one the best. But it was refreshing.
See y'all soon.

23 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to all the celebrants! My son is in NYC for two weeks and one of the places I told him to go was Beyond Sushi. That's where I'd go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a solid recc! If only he could bring some back for you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I don't hate her anymore! Just dislike.

      Delete
  3. If you sugar-crash from a single cookie, grrrl, you gotta eat more cookies and build yer tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I miss Beyond Sushi! I could eat their rolls every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very happy birthday to all that were celebrating! G's nephew is so adorable!! That is a great picture of him, too cute!!

    I haven't been photographing my meals much recently either but I'm sure I'll start again eventually. That berry is huge!! Lemon yogurt with raspberries sounds like a great combo. That sushi is gorgeous! They always make such pretty rolls.

    The only vitacoco flavor I like is the pineapple but I've been curious about the lemonade... Maybe I'll hold off on it now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, summer and the heat and being busy make me lazy about it, I think. Wanting to take photos comes and goes, kinda.
      The yogurt and berries was great.

      Delete
  6. Holy cow that sushi looks amazing! Also, the bday party looks adorable! Also, I second Hannah's comment re: cookies. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate another cookie today, so I think I'm on the right path.

      Delete
  7. I can't handle the picture of G's nephew and the cake! SO cute! I absolutely know how it is to be focused on the people instead of taking pictures. That happens to me a lot.

    Beautiful sushi! It's more art than food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a very cute baby and very smart and has very good taste in food.

      Delete
  8. That One-Year-Old is sending out some pretty strong messages. Hope nobody else wanted any cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't think I had any cake but G said the banana cupcakes were good.

      Delete
  9. Great shots of the sushi! LOVE the shot of the little one munching on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was pretty happy with the cake.

      Delete
  10. I ate 4 pints of strawberries within a few days - they were so juicy and tasty! G’s newphew Luca looks so cute - and that cake looks amazing! Yum on the black rice sushi, I must make this with black rice….I had mango sushi rice with coconut before at a hotel in Manila and I thought that was a pretty tasty dessert sushi. Speaking of coconut water, I prefer the canned one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, they're delicious now, aren't they?
      Funny, I didn't really think of the mango sushi as dessert sushi but I guess it could have been!

      Delete
  11. The very idea of attending a birthday party where there are both vegan cake and cupcakes kind of blows my mind......
    I love beyond sushi!! I usually tell them to keep the sauce from the top, i'm a soy sauce only kind of girl.
    And i kinda hate all those vitacoco drinks. I've tried so hard to like them....but i had the coconut water from organic ave once and i'm ruined for life. Not that i buy it more than once a month but that's some good stuff.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someday, I will go to Beyond Sushi. Someday. Also, I am SO GLAD Whole Soy & Co is back. I've been eating a ton of yogurt lately too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vegan cake? Yes. Definitely yes. I'm not surprised the little 'un is getting stuck in, I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself either!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.