Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, May 12, 2014

Branding and Treats, Part 2: Vegan Cuts Raw Box

Hi hi! More treats, this time courtesy of Vegan Cuts! This was a first time raw (or mostly raw) snack box. While I don't eat as high raw a diet as I used to, it is still a lifestyle I admire, if only because it really makes you think about what you eat, and how much. For instance, a lot of forethought goes into the diet; you can't always just pick up a snack from anywhere, anytime you get hungry. Andrea wrote a post recently on diets and raw food choices that was well-put and thought-provoking. While I don't necessarily know if raw, vegan food is the BEST diet out there, I believe raw, vegan food is an important part of a healthy, well-rounded diet. And, yes, as I said last post, I love knowing the cool new treats that are out there - sometimes before they are "out there."
Once I saw that the box was "curated" (I love that they use that term) by Gena Hamshaw of Choosing Raw, I was sold. I love all of her recipes, and I think she understands quality treats.
So, what was in my box?

Chocolate! The gnosis sample was a little small, and the flavor was nothing special but the Lulu's Chocolate Maca Chunk bar was fantastic, flavor and texture-wise.

Warrior Food protein powder in vanilla. I used it in a smoothie this morning. The taste was undetectable, which I suppose is better than it being noticeably bad. Texture-wise, the smoothie was similar to ones I make with other protein powders. There were also two samples of Garden of Life Vanilla Chai protein powder, which is actually the kind I buy. Also in this picture is Berries Best Antioxidant dietary supplement. I thought it was also a protein powder, but it's more of a powdered vitamin that you stir into your water. I haven't tried it yet.

Starbars Detox Strawberry-Apple-Ginger bar, Raw Rev chocolate coconut bite, Two Moms in the Raw goldenberry bar. The Starbars bar was not all that great. It was bland beyond the too-sharp ginger flavor and oddly rubbery. The Goldenberry bar was amazing and I'm lucky to have had a chance to try it. The Raw Rev bars are something I used to love, but seem to have outgrown. They're a little too sweet and chewy for me, but are still something I'd probably buy if I saw.

Rawxies lemon poppyseed cookie: this was good! I haven't seen them in stores, but I'd probably buy one if I did. Not too sweet, and not dry, like raw oat-based cookies can be. Hemp seeds are something I never really buy, but I like them a lot. This sample size was perfect for a salad I made today!

Barnana dried banana bites sound odd, but they were good. The brown color was a little off-putting but not a problem, really. I probably wouldn't buy them, only because I eat a banana fresh or frozen (in a smoothie) almost every day already. But the convenience is nice. You can't throw a fresh banana in yr bag without smushing it horribly. The Hail Merry macaroons (these were strawberry flavor) were probably my favorite treat in the box. I like Emmy's raw macaroons a lot too; these were maybe slighty lighter and less dense. I appreciate that these were a fruit flavor - I'll have to check out what other flavors they have.

Last but not least were Living Intentions raw sprouted nuts in cacao. These were also a favorite out of the box, and maybe the product I'd most likely buy for myself again.
The box was $24.95, which I think was fair for the quality and quantity of goods in the box. I hope VeganCuts does another raw box. It'll be interesting to see what products come through next time. It's a fun surprise!

13 comments:

  1. What a great Vegan Cuts box! I can definitely understand why you'd go for this one. All raw treats curated by Gena is amazing in itself and the price for all of that is really reasonable! The maca chocolate sounds so good. I love Two Moms in the Raw bars, they are some of my favorite bars. Those protein powder containers look quite large! Are they a standard size or do they just look large in the picture? THe rawxies cookie sounds amazing, I hope I can find that... lemon poppyseed is one of my favorite flavors. I've never tried Hail Merry treats but have heard great things about them. It looks like Gena picked out a lot of great treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Two moms stuff that I've tried before is really good but it's so expensive. The goldenberries were so fun in this bar though.
      The protein powder and berry powder were pretty small - about the equivalent of one scoop (or serving). Sorry, I should have shown something for size!

      Delete
  2. "The taste was undetectable, which I suppose is better than it being noticeably bad." Bahaha! Yes, tasting of nothing is better than tasting like something is rotten in your mouth.

    That aside, such a spectacular looking box. Gena is the gemmiest of gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I guess what I meant was that it didn't seem vanilla-y so much as unflavored.
      She is a gem, ain't she?

      Delete
  3. Glad you were pleased with your box (that's all I can say that won't be considered b*tchy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. No photo of the brown barnanas? You tease us! I'm usually not a fan of raw chocolate, so I'm happy to hear you speak so highly of the Lulu's. It's funny because I've been exploring raw before 4 (as of today!) and this morning as I was grabbing my pouch of raw nuts and washing my fruit for the day I was thinking how much more convenient and preferable it was to having to prepare what would amount to another meal (in addition to dinner) to lug to work with me. We'll see how it goes, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there's actually a label on the bag that says "the browning is natural!"
      I think I really like maca, which is why I enjoyed that bar so much but there are also little crackling cacao nibs on top, which is also fun.
      I haven't heard of that book! Do you have a spiralizer? Zucchini noodles with peanut sauce, carrots, and bell pepper is my favorite easy raw pad thai and it's so good! Totally portable, and it lasts a few days in the fridge...

      Delete
    2. Ah, it's not a book; it's a...movement? It's possible Freelee the Banana Girl started it, but don't worry; I'm not eating 30 bananas.

      I do have a spiralizer, but the thought of opening the empty container to wash it at the end of the day makes my nose wrinkle.

      Delete
  5. Looks like some fun treats! I also love hemp seeds but only seem to buy them when I can get a good sale price....and moms in the raw is so good! Starbucks used to have their bars at one point. Those rawxies are good but the hail merry ones get me every time, haven't tried the strawberries yet though.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, right; I knew I'd seen them somewhere. Starbucks can't have vegan food for too long, though.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of these boxes - all sorts of fun things in one package to you. Sounds like it wasn't all good, but still cool to try these things out. Who knows, the world's best treat could be in the next box..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hail Merry and Gone Nuts are two items I really like, but the other stuff sounds interesting, too, especially the Lulu's bar. Looks like a great box!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.