Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Bloody Mess

Or, at least as bloody as a vegan food blog will get.
Some photos I forgot to upload - About a month ago G and I went to go see Only Lovers Left Alive, the new Jim Jarmusch movie about vampires. On the walk down to the theatre, we stopped at Atlas Cafe for a sandwich.
Atlas isn't totally vegan but they have an incredible selection of vegan options, and are one of the few places in NYC that I know of that sell Vegan Treats stuff.

                                                               a funny inside shot

I got a Moroccan chick'n sandwich with harissa, greens, and roasted red pepper sauce. G got an avocado-artichoke chick'n sandwich on a baguette.
The movie was okay. Kinda pointless but pretty to watch. And I'm a big fan of Tilda Swinton. Also, usually, Jim Jarmusch.
Anyway, G and I pretended we were vampires walking around the city after dark and got this bloody ginger-apple-beet juice. Ah, yes, just as refreshing as the vampires would have you believe.


More red-splurted stuff lately:
              WW wrap with tomatoes, arugula, onion, carrot, tempeh, tahini and sriracha.

                                      GF toast with peanut butter and strawberry jam
I guess that's it. Less red, more green next time.

17 comments:

  1. Haha I was nervous about clicking on this post! ;) I was pleasantly surprised to see such lovely meals though. Your sandwich looks amazing, as does your wrap. I love the hippies use the side door sign, that's really funny. The juice sounds perfectly refreshing on a warm day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sandwich was good, if a little salty. But the juice was so good!

      Delete
  2. I remember when Jim Jarmusch was a genius. So you finished up the Apricot Jam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a lot of his movies, but I think the last one I saw before this was Coffee and Cigarettes. Has he done anything in between? Did you see this one?
      I DID finish the apricot jam and bought this one just for you.

      Delete
    2. I gave up on Jarmusch years ago. I will say Stranger Than Paradise was worthwhile. What do I do with the Apricot Jam I bought just for you?

      Delete
  3. I never think about missing glutenous bread until I see sandwiches like these. Oh well. The juice sounds like a perfect flavor combo. And I'm relieved the 'blood' wasn't, you know, blood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread was very good...
      I think I'm happy the "blood" wasn't blood either.

      Delete
  4. To be honest, I'd go pay to watch Tilda Swinton do her laundry, so good call. Shame about the film. No shame about the sarnie. Just delicious bready joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps this wasn't the best post for me to read coming off the stomach flu! I've only eaten at Atlas once and I was impressed, but that was before all of the impromptu closings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I'm sorry, and hope you're feeling better!
      I don't go to Atlas often, so I must have missed the closings.

      Delete
  6. Dang, too bad the movie wasn't all that. Though lord knows when it'll finally get to Netflix so I can see it. (I miss bigger city livin'...sigh)

    As for that chickn' sandwich though? GET IN MY MOUTH. Harissa on anything is the utter jam, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but you see mountains on yr commute :)
      Harissa is fantastic! This one wasn't super spicy, but flavorful in any case.

      Delete
  7. That whole wheat wrap looks so great and I wish we had a place like Atlas here. The UK does not have good sandwich game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny post using the word ‘bloody’, I shall use that in my comment! Wowza, that Moroccan chick’n salad sandwich looks bloody yummy with harissa (I’m a fan of harissa and loads of spices). I had a spicy beetroot juice before and couldn’t take it anymore on a cleanse (I was on a 3-day cleanse), but I don’t mind the beetroot. Goodness, the toast is my thing - I would like to add beanfield nacho chips on that pb & jam toast….

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.