Search This Blog

Monday, April 14, 2014

Testing Teasers

I said I'd have a book review today for you but G borrowed my camera for a video game convention this weekend so I didn't make any recipes or get into the book as much as I'd have liked to. Soon, though.
Today, instead, I have a couple photos from a test cookbook in the works from Jess at Cupcakes and Kale! I love her pretty website and delicious recipes so I'm really excited for the cookbook itself to come out. Luckily for me the recipes so far have been mostly conducive to the healthier eating habits I'm trying to adopt:

Greens and Broccoli Quiche. Really good. I shared this with Greg for a return from the convention brunch. Apparently the food video gamers eat is abysmal. Who'da thunk? Oh, wait. (P.S. here is a comic he made for the convention.)

                                            Quick pickles - I made a gingery variation
And on the slightly more decadent side:
Cinnamon-Zucchini waffles. It's been a long time since I've made waffles (the iron was at G's - and we quickly remembered what a hassle it is to clean) so I was afraid these wouldn't turn out too well, but they came out well. Served with maple syrup and blackberries.
Can't wait for the next round of testing.
And since I wasn't able to take any photos of Haxan doing all the adorable things she did this weekend, here instead is a photo of a pin G got me at the convention. Bub!


16 comments:

  1. This looks like it is going to be such a fun and tasty book! Homemade pickles?! Amazing. That quiche looks really fantastic too. I LOVE broccoli quiche and that one looks really thick and tasty. Cinnamon and zucchini waffles sound really different and amazing. I love cinnamon everything. Adorable pin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pickles were great, and so quick to make! The quiche was good...the waffles were good... everything was good. Ha.

      Delete
  2. Looks like the Quiche Pan might be a pain to clean as well as the Waffle Iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But SERIOUSLY! How do people clean waffle irons?? With a Q-tip?? You can't even just dunk it in the sink because the cord is attached!

      Delete
  3. What a lucky lady to have you for a tester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the other way around.

      Delete
  4. Three good choices for testing. The waffles are practically a vegetable, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do think :) Actually, I couldn't really have made bad choices - apparently the cookbook will be called Greens 24/7, which means EVERYTHING in it will be...practically a vegetable.

      Delete
  5. Recipe testing always appeals to me - it's the frontier between cooking and being an explorer. I like the look of that quiche, and the waffles - washing up be damned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get my testing boots on and my flag ready to plant. The waffles were worth it. Though maybe next time, a double batch.

      Delete
  6. I really really really really want that quiche, but can people stop making such appealing cookbooks? I'm running out of food and money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I like to test for em! It's like getting the cookbook without paying the money :) The food do indeed runneth over.

      Delete
  7. I love it when you try out recipes! If I wrote a cookbook (don't worry - that can't happen), you would be my first stop. The quiche sounds amazing! I've always wanted to make my own pickles. How did they turn out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! It works out for both of us since I love testing. You could write a cookbook veganizing all the cafeteria food the kids eat :)
      The quiche was very delicious and filling - it was chickpea flour based.
      The pickles were ten-minute pickles! So easy. I'm sure if you google refrigerator pickles, you'll find a similar recipe. They turned out well, but so far I've only eaten them plain. I finished all the beet burgers :(

      Delete
  8. That quiche looks amazing, I love quiche and it's almost picnic season which always seems like the perfect time to make it. I'd never considered making zucchini waffles before but I love zucchini muffins so I'm sure I'd love them.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.