Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sweets!!

Ummm, natural sweets, for the most part. This low sugar thing is really hard.
When I was at Dual buying Indian spices, I also picked up some maca, SO while this LOOKS like an innocuous lumpy oatmeal breakfast, it was ACTUALLY revving up my sexual prowess!! Or maybe just giving me some vitamins and energy or something. Maca tastes sweet and slightly caramelly. These overnight oats also had two dates and some vanilla in there, so this was pretty good.


Bought 5 mangos on sale for 69 cents each, and then kinda forgot about them, so I've been trying eating them a lot recently.


This Rawpothecary Sun Coffee was also on sale, so I picked one up. Pretty refreshing. They make a lot of interesting drinks but they are so expensive that I can't really buy them. I may just study the ingredients and attempt my own.


Rest assured, the carrot cake is being eaten.


One more test recipe for Jess's cookbook, Greens 24/7 - spinach pancakes! These were so easy to make and are really delicious. Froze a bunch to heat up in the oven for a quick breakfast.

I ate these ones with maple syrup, but there is banana in the batter so they are just slightly sweet enough to not need much else on them.
I also whipped up a batch of raw chocolate truffles to eat as a quick snack:

I used this recipe as a guideline. I also added maca and protein powder.
Trying to pace myself...
Happy Spring in New York City:

19 comments:

  1. When you get rid of refined sugar, everything else starts tasting sweeter — even oats.
    I think I'm going to have to make a carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a bad idea. I think I'm going to have to make another one.

      Delete
  2. That is some good looking food! I've made spinach pancakes before and they were tremendous - now you've got me questioning why I've not been making them more often. I salute your low sugar efforts - admittedly with a slice of cake in my gob though - but cooking things like the raw truffles must mean the transition isn't too painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would make them more but I hate frying them up. The smell of cooking oil really bothers me, but maybe I should use a different oil.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so good! Sweets are my fav and I love how you satisfied your sweet cravings with healthy treats. I have lucuma powder I need to use and more oats than you can imagine so maybe I should make some overnight oats to blend into a smoothie. The coffee sounds really interesting and I'm definitely jealous of that carrot cake. I love that you worked veggies into your sweets too :) Beautiful truffles too.

    Happy Spring (finally)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have no idea what to do with lucuma! Did you buy it? It's been forEVER since I've soaked oats for a smoothie, but I ought to do that again.

      Delete
    2. I did buy the lucuma and haven't used it yet. I have a huge bag of it too. I'm seriously going to have to get on it because it would be a huge waste since it was kind of pricey. I'll probably just start adding a spoon of it to smoothies for natural sweetness and a little caramel type flavor.

      Delete
  4. Sun coffee? What on earth? But yeah, from the front of that label, I'm picturing cold-brewed coffee with pumpkin-sunflower seed milk. I bet it would be super easy to do at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'm gonna try it sooooon. maybe with cacao nibs??

      Delete
  5. Those blooming flowers in the trash are so wonderful and sad at the same time. i'm stuffing my face with all of my glorious Easter chocolates so I can't really support these "sweets" of yours for myself, but good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, much like New York - wonderful and sad. I didn't GET any Easter chocolates (mom!) so I couldn't stuff my face with em even if I wanted to.

      Delete
  6. Is somebody breaking bad now that lent has passed?

    Does the Sun Coffee come in decaf?

    Will the Spinach Pancake recipe be posted online so I don't have to $hell out for the book?

    Did you rescue those flowers from the trash?

    Will any of my questions be answered?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man oh man, with all that maca you'll be a danger to the entire population. But in the best way, right? Right. Make love not war etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, that coffee sounds so good! Have you ever made cold brew? Not really the season yet but i bet if u mixed cold brew with blended soaked raw seeds/nuts it would be close.
    The randomness in nyc garbage cans could be a book-although this would be the most beautiful for sure!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have made cold brew! I'll defeinitely be making more of it this summer, and with the seed milk, for sure.

      Delete
  9. Spinach pancakes!! They sound super delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.