Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014

FOOD FRIENDZ pt. 3: We Take over the Lower East Side

Alicia is technically an old friend of G's, but she had been living in Austin, TX (though she is originally from Long Island) for the last five years. Had that not been the case, I feel like we would be old pals by now since we kinda run with the same crew and are pretty similar. Although, since we are so weird and awkward and similar, maybe we would never have met and become friends but just stayed in our respective homes living parallel lives playing with our respective pets and making zines. But that was not the case! Now she's here and we're gonna make zines together. Some day. Today we just did the hang out thing.
I met Alicia on the Lower East Side today (serendipitously and sorta spontaneously both our day off,) where we met at Cake Shop (music venue/vegan cafe/record store/apparently pretty chill hang place during the daytime.) We looked at records. Then we sorta roamed until we found some coffee at Tiny's Giant Sandwich Shop. The menu looked pretty good and very vegan-friendly (plus, you were able to swap out any chicken for tofu chicken) but we just talked over a latte first:


This was really well made AND they used almond milk! I was really happy to find a place that has a non-soy non-dairy latte option! And so pretty. It was .50 cents extra for almond milk, but some places do that for soy too - I'm not sure if Tiny's does. Greg might have something to say about that, but I just found it too enjoyable to care.
We wandered some more, with a stop at Bluestockings Bookstore (also in the linked post above, and which I always have to visit when I'm in the area) and since it was raining, just jumped over to Two Boots on 3rd and A.


This was an Earth Mother slice - a thick crust, tomato sauce, spinach, peppers, onion, and garlic. It wasn't as good as the V for Vegan slice I got last time - kinda more bread than vegetables - but it was filling and pretty cheap.
Annnddd to finish the day, Peanut Chews, still the best deal in town:

                    (Especially when you buy them bulk by the pound at Economy Candy!!!)
Then Alicia went home to walk the dawgs and I came home to write about it. Yes, this is the beginning of a beautiful foodfreindzship.

24 comments:

  1. I started feeling all relaxed and happy reading your post — there's something special about a lazy day roaming with a new friend, enjoying conversation and food, and feeling the spark of a new friendship growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it was partly the rain that lent to the relaxing and calming tone.

      Delete
  2. Aww how great that Alicia is here and you have the same day off! It sounds like you had a really great day catching up. New/rekindled friendships are always really fun and exciting.

    Almond milk lattes sound so good... I have yet to come across a place out here that offers almond milk for coffee. The pizza looks good too, and cheap and filling is always a good combination.

    I haven't had peanut chews in so long! I remember loving them when I was younger. I kind of want to figure out how to make them myself now ;) Project idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we never really knew each other before; we'd briefly met twice, so this was kinda scary - almost like a blind date! But it worked out well.
      The latte was so good it had me daydreaming about buying an aerator and making my own with almond milk.
      Just like youuuu should make peanut chews :)

      Delete
  3. Old friends, old friends
    Sat on their park bench like bookends

    New friends, new friends
    how soon till one or the other offends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your .50 words.

      portentous
      adj.adjective

      1. Of the nature of or constituting a portent; foreboding.

      2. Full of unspecifiable significance; exciting wonder and awe.

      3. Marked by pompousness; pretentiously weighty.

      I'll assume you meant my comment was 'exciting wonder and awe.'

      Delete
  4. New friends are the best! What an awesome adventure day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends make the whole world glow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean - there is probably a person similar to myself, but also introverted and with a cute dog, thus also hanging out at home right now. Ha! I'm glad you were able to find each other and hang out!

    Hooray for almond milk lattes! The best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! maybe yr doppelganger is a yoga right now!

      Delete
  7. Amazing day-you have to go back to tiny's!! There are a ton of delicious vegan options and the sandwiches are easily two meals they're so big. Almond milk lattes are sooooo good- kaffe 1668 has almond milk, so does everyman espresso and the butcher's daughter. I am usually a redeye or dark roast coffee with an inch or so of hot soy or almond. (Haha, i know, specific....)
    I love economy candy!!! They actually have really great fresh dried fruit for great prices, esp the pears.
    Sounds like this new old friend is a good one :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, for sure, if I'm in the area. The sandwiches looked very interesting.
      Never heard of Kaffe 1668, it sounds fancy. Everyman is right by work, though! I'll check it out! Thanks! I also remember you mentioning a cashew milk latte at Organic Avenue for $$$, no?

      Delete
    2. Oooh, yes!! Organic ave has the cold pressed latte with cashew hemp milk.... Actually just $4 for the smaller one, smallish size but packs a punch.
      Ground support in soho has almond milk too, 50cents xtra same as soy.

      Delete
  8. Food (etc.) friends! I've never been to Tiny's; why is that? Also The Butcher's Daughter, but you didn't mention that. Oh, Economy Candy; you shall break my bank yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of Tiny's, but it was a great spot to stumble upon. I ALSO have yet to go to the Butcher's Daughter, I've heard great things.
      Now is not the time to go to Economy Candy: SO much Easter/Passover stuff!!

      Delete
  9. Sounds all good to me. Now push me one of those peanut chew things through the internetz so I can celebrate with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish things worked like that.

      Delete
  10. This is so great. I feel like it is so hard to make friends when your past college-age. Good for you for having an actual friend date! And it sounds like a fun one! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raechel! Speaking of food friendz, you are missed.

      Delete
  11. Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag where you can find Videos, Gif Images, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags.
    LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  12. World Latest vehicles, Super Cars, Super Latest Speed Cars, Expensive Cars, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.