Search This Blog

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter This Year

Happy Easter to anyone who celebrates.This year my family and I didn't do much - there were a series of plans that fell through, along with a bunch of exhausted and/or reclusive people and me being depressed. I ended up going to my folks' house, where it was just the three of us (and the cats) on a beautiful Spring day.

When I got there, my mom had started the grill in the yard and a scallion marinade for mushrooms from Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian (which I had bought her a couple years ago for Christmas.)

              I cooked the quinoa with peas, and my dad watched the asparagus (also grilled.)


                   The centerpiece with chocolate chickens and Ukrainian ikon wrapped eggs.

I made dessert but forgot to bring it! Or, rather, it was still cooling and I was in a rush and since I'd be biking home later, didn't think I could tote the cake safely back and forth so I opted not to bring it. But I made a carrot cake, using this roasted walnut oil from Trader Joe's that my mom bought me for Christmas.


A slice of carrot cake I ate alone when I got home. Vegan cream cheese frosting. The cake recipe was from Nava Atlas's Vegan Holiday Kitchen (carrot cupcakes baked in a cake pan.) The cake itself is sweetened only with maple syrup and applesauce, which is a nicely delicate flavoring; the frosting uses refined sugar, though.

While I was with the folks, we ate fresh strawberries and this marzipan I bought at Economy Candy. Obviously the marzipan is NOT in keeping with my restricted sugar diet since it is bascially entirely sugar, plus food coloring, but hey, it's a holiday. I used to love marzipan and I think the shapes are so pretty.


Then we went for a walk around the neighborhood. We came back and I played with the cats for a bit.
                                                  This one is Cicero; he never stays still.

                                        Seneca I caught mid cat-nap, so he was a bit calmer.

Not to have Haxan feel left out, here she is snorting some asparagus. She doesn't eat it - she knocks it out of my hand and chases it around the apartment, but my mom says that Cicero ate an entire plate of her asparagus!
That's all for now. See you later.

18 comments:

  1. A quiet, beautiful spring day with your parents sounds like a pretty great way to spend Easter. Not to mention your gorgeous spring meal. A scallion marinade on portobellos sounds delicious. The quinoa with peas looks like fried rice at first glance which is never a bad thing ;) The strawberries look fresh and tasty and what a beautiful carrot cake. Great critter pics too. The one of Haxan is so funny. She seems hypnotized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strawberries were good! I crammed a tiny marzipan inside one, haha.
      Haxan is a hilarious baby.

      Delete
  2. Happy Easter! Sometimes a simple, quiet holiday is just what's needed. We spent the morning walking along a very cool beach in West Seattle with a bunch of people who apparently don't celebrate Easter in a traditional way.

    The grilled mushrooms sure look good, but so does everything else. I love grilled asparagus. We just got a gas canister for our gas grill so maybe we'll actually grill something some day soon. I used to love carrot cake but it's been years since I made one, and I don't think I even have the old recipe anymore. I think it had pineapple in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, when you say it like that, I'm picturing nudists.
      Grilled anything is fantastic! Even the asparagus, which was slightly burnt. I hope you use the grill soon.
      I've seen pineapple sweetened carrot cake, somewhere, but this recipe seemed pretty simple and good.

      Delete
    2. Nope. Scratch the nudists. The last time I saw a nude man walking in public in the city was in the Mission in San Francisco. Haven't seen any nudists yet in Seattle.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like it could not have turned out better! Sometimes the best holidays are the quiet ones, if you ask me! I'm glad you were able to spend time with family and felines, alike.

    Gorgeous meals, and the Ukranian eggs I had never seen before! Very cool. At least you have dessert available at all times in your house now. ;)

    Hope you have a great week, lovely Maud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was better that it was a quiet holiday. Sometimes when there's more people, I can hide, though.
      The Ukranian eggs I love. They're so pretty. Only too bad they're real eggs.
      Have a lovely week too, Ingrid.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely meal, although I would have followed you home to get my rightful piece of cake!

    When I was a kid my mom and I went to the neighbor's house and she had a similar box of beautiful marzipan. My eyes widened and my mom telepathically advised me against it (as moms are wont to do), but I couldn't resist. I popped a whole "strawberry" in my mouth and was horrified that it didn't taste as I'd expected. I sat there with it disintegrating in my mouth until my mom was afraid I'd choke and took me home so I could spit it out. Good times! Thanks for the memory :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wish they had! I am too tempted with it!
      I love food memories! Too bad you didn't like the marzipan.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun little day with the family! And those stuffed mushrooms look yummy! As does the carrot cake. I'd kill for a slice of carrot cake about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mushrooms were great.
      Please take the carrot cake.

      Delete
  6. I am glad that you made sure to do several nice things for yourself, and soak up sunshine (and delicious real sugar) to help kick the clinging depression. I wish I could dropkick any such sadness away from you forever, but I guess that's not really the way life works, hey? Sometimes the sadness just comes, the lil bastard. Stay strong. Happy Easter xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks, Hannah. Is that how you do it? Build a fortress of sweets around you to keep too many emotions at bay? Good on ya.

      Delete
    2. I believe strongly in the Cry Detox. Few minutes of sobbing, then I tell myself to buck up and get on with things. Or simply accept that everything feels like fucking shit right now, but that it always gets better. Always. And just to stick it out until then.

      Sugar helps though.

      Delete
  7. I wonder if I would be depressed riding around Queens on a bicycle. I think I would be. Though, I think I'd perk up once I arrived at my 'rents and saw that my mother is the Grill Meister, there are multiple bottles of vino, big slabs of bread with no bread plates, not to mention HALF A LEMON!!!! Quality staircase.

    Those Ukrainian Icons are always on the periphery of my life in one way or another.

    And that type of Marzipan always reminds me of little hand soaps.

    Stay strong. Happy Easter xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the bike riding wasn't the depressing part. I love to bike around Queens. The half lemon really made my day, though.
      Happy Easter to you, even if you were being sarcastic.

      Delete
  8. Haxan's face in that pic has me in stitches - so good! Possibly even better than grilled asparagus, which is one of my favourite things evuh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love marzipan but I hardly ever buy the fun fruit shaped kind, just the kind covered in chocolate! That plate of mushrooms, asparagus and quinoa looks so fresh and delicious, I could do with a plate right now.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.