Search This Blog

Monday, March 3, 2014

Zine Fest, Zine Food

Well, I didn't explore the vegan options up around Barnard like I thought I might because it was cold walking around, I spent more time than I'd thought at the event, and there's not a ton up there but...as it turns out, I'd rather spend my dough on rad zines instead.
Some shots from the day:


one of the few (I seriously held back) zines I got - this is VANITAS, a poetry zine, with a HAG patch.

But anyway, I thought I'd keep the zine love flowing this week anyway and make a couple recipes from the food zines I have. Claryn at Hell Yeah it's Vegan! sent me a zine package back in October, I've won some of Amey's, and picked a couple others up here and there.
Anyway, today I made two dishes from The Frugal Vegan's Harvest & Holiday Survival Guide II:
Ethiopian Vegetable Stew:


It's primarily composed of cabbage, onion, potatoes, carrots with some spices. The directions are kinda rough, but the recipe makes a ton. I haven't made all that many Ethiopian dishes but this seemed a little underspiced to me. I really only sampled the stew - maybe it'll get better overnight (and over the week+ it'll take to finish!) In any case, it's definitely frugal-friendly, easy, and totally adaptable to taste/what you have on hand.
I also baked Cinnamon Bread, a sweet loaf in the zine:


Standard simple loaf with ingredients most vegans already have in their pantry. It smelled great while cooking. I haven't tried it yet but am excited to.
I also made a recipe from Amey's Christmas 2010 zine. She puts one together every year from favorite recipes she's made and includes sweet little cartoons.


This is Israeli Couscous Salad:

Undressed: Israeli couscous, tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, nuts, dried apricots, and fresh herbs.

                                                 And dressed with a tahini dressing

I'm so happy to be using these food zines. Slick vegan cookbooks are obviously beautiful and introduce us to inventive meals and flavors, and I love them as much as anyone else. But zines speak to my punk rock DIY heart, which I think is one of the things really at the true core of veganism. They are also so much more personable. From a self-interested perspective, I love to see other people's food zines and compare and contrast them with my own.
Speaking of, oh yeah! I make a vegan food zine, Marmalade Umlaut :) You can find a link to buy some on the right side bar; I also do trades! But anyway, thanks to Barnard and the organizers and tablers at the feminist zinefest. It was awesome and inspiring to see everyone. I'm currently working on a new issue of my zine... I'll keep ya posted for when it's out.
What's a punk/vegan/ziney/feminist post without a photo of a cat?

21 comments:

  1. Not feeling so bad now about missing that 'fest'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a really fun time! I would have done the same and put my money toward the zines as well. Love the dishes you made as well. That cinnamon bread looks incredible, I'm definitely jealous of that. The Israeli Couscous Salad looks great too, I actually just got some Israeli couscous too. Can't wait to use it. I love Amey's drawings, they are always so cute.

    Haxan is so freaking cute. Thanks for all of the fur baby pics lately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cinnamon bread came out pretty good, if a little greasy. Israeli couscous was so fun to work with! It's bouncy and cute. Like Haxan.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to a zine fest — feminist or otherwise. The closest I've been, though it's not even close, was to the zine section of Powell's Books in Portland. I don't think I've ever seen an entire section of a bookstore devoted to zines, before. Maybe I just haven't been to the right bookstores. Kittee has a pretty great Ethiopian zine , Papa Tofu cooks Ethiopian, that I used to have but lost. I love Ethiopian food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that Powell's has a zine section! Another reason to get there, I guess. There are one or two bookstores here that sell them on commission but it's a small section.
      I always mean to pick up Kittee's zine. I should do that...now.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an awesome experience! I agree that cookbooks, while shiny and glossy, are less personal than getting a hand copied / printed version directly from the source! It's like sharing a bit of yourself with someone else. And the recipes look divine. I could not have held myself back from slicing off a warm chunk of that cinnamon bread. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was fun though I had to amp up my extroversion and ability to socialize, which was a little draining after a while.
      I like zines because you can see people's handwriting, haha. And that tells a lot about people.
      I was only able to hold off on the bread because I had picked so much at sampling the other two recipes...

      Delete
  5. i have yet to go to a zine-fest....one day i will! i am glad you found some cool zines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kendy! I hope you get to one too. It seems like the sort of thing they'd have a lot of in CA. I think there was just one in LA a few weeks ago, not sure how close that is to you.

      Delete
  6. In my dreams, the time that you and I find each other in the same city, my friend from Canberra who is an incredible feminist/alternative-indie-riot-grrrl-music-afficionado/zinester is also with us (and hey, she is going to be in Portland in June!). It would be so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you get to work on making that happen? I wonder if I buy tickets to Portland for June and just walk the streets, I'd find her. Sounds like you know some fantastic people, which isn't really surprising.

      Delete
    2. I am ridiculously lucky in my friendships. I don't know how it keeps happening. But not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

      Delete
  7. Haxan is looking so soft.

    Not so many vegan eats up here other than the standard falafel or chipotle. You didn't miss anything. Thirty blocks south and there is Peacefood and Candlewest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She IS soft!
      I did see that Peacefood was a bit South - I considered walking down but was feeling kinda lazy. It is beautiful up in that hood, though, which makes up for a train ride to vegan food.

      Delete
  8. I love love love that zine fests are still around. F U digital age! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I think they are really making a comeback.

      Delete
  9. Man, things like this make me want to move back to Brooklyn! It's super weird because at this point my comfort zone is definitely west coast, but there you go. Also it's not like there are no zine events in SF...I should clearly go find one! I am drooling over that Israeli couscous too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw zines, and zine fests. I don't think I've seen one of these over here for donkey's years. Can we do something swappy digitally, like the Vegan Pot Luck thing but with zines?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're absolutely right and that loaf is a thing of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS if it wasn't for zines I never would have found Kittee!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.