Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

When He's 64

You all know G's family knows how to throw a party. We all got together on Sunday afternoon to celebrate G's father's birthday. Andy and Maritza, G's brother and sister-in-law, made the meal. They are usually Chloe Coscarelli devotees but recently received Isa Does It and, well, we all know how awesome that book is. So Isa meals it was:

                                                                 Butternut Bisque
This soup was amazing. Everyone liked it. So flavorful and really smooth. Also I'm glad they made it because now I don't have to.

followed by Chicky Tuna Salad sandwiches (and lopsided smile face) with sauteed kale on the side. The sandwiches were much more legit than my sad attempt and included toppings.

Dessert was Chloe. These are her prize winning Creme-filled Chocolate Orange cupcakes.
Kudos to Andy and Maritza for always making such delicious food. Thanks to the rest of the fam for always letting me hang. It was fun.

Another bonus of visiting G's brother's family is the store nearby with lots of Eastern European goods for super cheap. I bought some figs from the bulk bins and this container of saffron. Does anyone want me to mail them some saffron?? There's no way I'll be able to use up the amount in here. At least send me some recipe recommendations!
Happy Birthday Ken.

22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Ken!!! (What happened to that little white dog? Skipper? Is he okay?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you have a good memory. Although Skipper was black, not white. She was like a Haxan, if Haxan were a dog. Skipper passed away last summer, right after Greg and I were out on Long Island for his cousin's wedding. He said goodbye to her then. It was really sad.
      G's younger brother Ben actually stayed home from the wedding because he wouldn't leave Skipper since she was so sick. He and Skipper grew up together so they were especially close; I think he and G's parents were both with her when she died.

      Delete
    2. Sheesh! That is a major bummer. However, I'm pretty positive Skipper was white so maybe he's still alive and you're mistaken.

      Delete
    3. Yes, and had a gender change in Doggie Heaven.

      Delete
    4. Ugh! This is why I try to avoid social situations.

      Delete
  2. It all looks so good! And it sounds like a fun time all the way around! I haven't used saffron before, so I'm no help...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of risotto, vegan paella, saffron creme brulee (that can be vegan with coconut cream, right?), saffron-infused frosting for a fancy Middle Eastern-style cupcake. Probably horrible gross orange almond cake would be fun with a saffron glaze. Saffron tofu scramble. Does any of that help? Gosh, to be rich in saffron. Wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at you go! Yes, paella was the only thing that came to mind for me. I'd love to make a horrible cake too.

      Delete
  4. I haven't made any of those things yet. I'd better get to work since I don't know anyone who plans to make them for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start with the soup! I may even make it myself anyway.

      Delete
  5. Wow - those cupcakes looks overly good. If I was a competitive eater, I'd choose those as my scoff of choice. I love a good soup too, especially of the butternut variety. It looks smooth enough to swim in.

    For your saffron overload, may I recommend Cornish saffron buns? (recipe here - not vegan but easy to veganise http://www.ocado.com/webshop/recipe/cornish-saffron-buns/1426)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, do you get to pick what you competitively eat?
      Thank you for the recipe! Sounds delicious.

      Delete
  6. I'm guessing that's fakey saffron. Usually its safflower with coloring. A container of saffron like that from Spain or Iran (places that grow it) would be many hundreds of bucks. It will color your foods appropriately but not give that true saffron flavor. I don't think you're missing much by using your stuff on vegan foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Bummer. Well, not sure my palate is distinguished enough for the taste of saffron anyway, so I guess I'll just play around with the threads. I was wondering how they could be so cheap...

      Delete
  7. I'll take those saffron recipes too! My coworker brought me some threads from India and they're languishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to Ken! They definitely know how to throw a party. The spread looks great and those cupcakes look especially gorgeous and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were beautiful cupcakes! The work they put into food is admirable.

      Delete
  9. Awesome birthday dinner for G's dad! I really do need to get Isa's new books...I'm years behind at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing meal!!! G comes from good people.
    Yeah, the saffron probably isn't legit- but that doesn't mean its useless!
    This sauce must be good, tho it sounds pretty garlicy:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/21/dining/garlic-saffron-sauce-recipe.html?_r=0

    And if you swap in unsweetened (refridgerated kind not a can) coconut milk and some EB this pasta and sauce sounds awesome:
    http://seattletimes.com/html/foodwine/2011709961_web28linguine.html
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.