Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

Spring Clean Out the Pantry Time

The other night, my roommate threw a Twin Peaks Black Lodge birthday party in our apartment:

Looks pretty cool, right? It wasn't bad but I am not a super social person (surprise surprise!) and started getting sort of anxious with all the people and noise in my apartment and with the BLACK LODGE VIBES and then the roof of my room started leaking because it was raining and ahhh I just got really stressed out.
So today I cleaned (like I do most Mondays) and sage-smudged the apartment (to dispel leftover bad spirits) and welcomed Spring cleaning in other aspects too. Like the kitchen.
Clean out the freezer smoothie:

Smoothies are easier than stir-fries for me: I never have sad, must-use, leftover vegetables in the fridge because I eat them before that happens. But somehow the freezer gets stuffed with forgotten bananas, frozen fruits, nuts, and other things (like a huge bag of vegetable scraps I meant to make soup with, but will probably just compost.)
Anyway, this smoothie had frozen collards, frozen pineapple, frozen banana, coconut flakes, flax seed, spirulina, ginger, and water. It tasted slightly flat, probably from the freezer-burned pineapple but whatever.
This is the pantry stuff to work through, plus black beans (now soaking) and brown rice (5 lbs.)

Chickpeas, Israeli couscous, rolled oats, millet, and lentils.
The lentils and brown rice went into something that I should have made a bazillion times already: PPK's Quarter Pounder Beet Burgers. I like lentils, I like beets, and usually have them both, so.


I baked them rather than cook them in a skillet, and used mustard rather than dry mustard powder, but otherwise I followed the directions exactly. They held together very well (Andy); they only look a little crumbly mostly because I didn't oil the baking sheet.
The Israeli couscous went in a simple grain salad sorta thing for tomorrow's lunch:

cous cous cooked with FAKE saffron, drained + cooled, thrown with zucchini, bell pepper, raw sunflower seeds, onion, and kalamata olives. Plus lemon juice, black pepper, and tahini. No fresh herbs, I wish I had some.
Anticipate lots of oatmeal, guys.

21 comments:

  1. Good for you for cleaning out the freezer. My is so far gone I'm a little scared to search through it. But I SHOULD. I love beet burgers even though their appearance scares me a little with the realistic burger appearance. We should call them Halloween burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mushing them together was the creepiest part.

      Delete
  2. Those Beet Burgers are probably too surreal for even David Lynch to handle. Hope Haxan wasn't too stressed from the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haxan was so much more social than I was! She came out and sniffed everyone's coats and sashayed her little tail around. We had some chill/recuperation time together in my room every so often.
      To be honest, I couldn't take it any longer past 1 am so I left and went to Greg's. Hax slept most of the next day so I'm pretty sure she was up partying into the wee hours.

      Delete
    2. You left your daughter alone at a Twin Peaks party?! What kind of mother are you???

      Delete
    3. A terrible one. But she's tough.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad they held together! I'll have to do them baking style, that seems way safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I reheated them today with oil in a pan and they still held together pretty well! I say it's not cheating to bake em.

      Delete
  4. Your apartment looks too cute! I know what you mean about the anxiety though... I'd probably feel the same way.

    I love cleaning out the pantry and the freezer... out with the old, in with the new! The beet burger looks so vibrant and tasty, as does your smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she did a great job with the red hangings! The rug was totally disorienting though.
      Agreed, in with the new!

      Delete
  5. I find something really compelling about cleaning out the pantry - I achieve a sort of zen peace getting rid of the weird odds and ends that have built up in my kitchen. Then I get anxious about what I'd eat if there was a zombie apocalypse and have to fill it all up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I always forget about the zombie apocalypse. I have a feeling I'd be one of the first to go, though, so my pantry only has to last so long.

      Delete
  6. Oh man! We just had a Twin Peaks themed birthday party! The best, right? I'm sorry about the anxiety and the roof leak--that's no fun at all.

    Also, the beet burgers always look so real. It's freaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny! Did you take any pictures?? I'd like to see how you did it.

      Delete
  7. Those burgers look so raw and meaty! I'm afraid of what kind of freezer-burned fruits are lurking in my freezer from when it was last smoothie season: bananas, mango, watermelon...

    That Twin Peaks party looks and sounds rad even with such little info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. frozen watermelon?! That sounds really good! Blend it up with some lime, yo.
      more info on the party: costumes were encouraged and one friend came as Nadine, complete with eyepatch!

      Delete
  8. This reminds me that I really aught to get back into green smoothies. I too suffer from a freezer full of odds and ends that could blend up nicely. Plus, something about that photo just looks so refreshing and satisfying, despite the lingering cold weather out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's warm inside! Wear a sweater! Drink dat smoothie!

      Delete
  9. Love green smoothies.... I also very rarely have veggies that go bad yet a few items that have been in my freezer forever. Have you ever made falafel? That would take care of some chickpeas. Brown rice pudding? Brown rice congee or jook?? Sometimes pantry cooking makes you more creative.
    Parties are less anxiety provoking if you pre-game ;)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call on the falafel! It's been a while since I've made it. Off to look up jook...
      I have a problem with pregaming in that I'm done before the party starts usually.

      Delete
  10. Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag where you can find Videos, Gif Images, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags.
    LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.