Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2014

Sacred Chow for a Blessed Spring

Hello and Happy Spring! Hopefully things are getting brighter and warmer for you all.
I took Thursday off (and today) to celebrate... G and I spent the afternoon at the Jewish Museum to see an Art Spiegelman exhibit that is about to close. It was pretty comprehensive and informative and fun (at the same time, kind of depressing... if you've read Maus, you'll understand.) The rest of the museum was interesting; I especially liked one wing filled with modernist sculptures.
I didn't really get any shots of the museum so here is a pile of petals discarded from farmer's market flowers. This is somehow representative.


After the museum, I was pretty hungry so we went back downtown to Sacred Chow, for which I had a Groupon. I'd been there a couple times previously, but not since they re-did the inside and the menu. Abby has a review of that here.
There was still plenty to like and I thought the prices were fair (maybe because I was really only paying half, with the Groupon) but I would definitely return. I agree that the tables were small, though: G and I both ordered the three tapas meal (for $19.50,) which came on two plates each, which meant we had to use the adjoining tables, but since it was about 4:30 on a Thursday, there wasn't a crowd so it worked out.
G and I both ordered the vegetable kebabs:

They were tasty and came with a nice, light lemon sauce.
G also ordered the black olive seitan and eggplant rollatini to round out his meal:


He liked the texture of the seitan; I tasted a piece and thought it was nice and flavorful. The eggplant rollatini is a bit of an obsession for him, and since he had recently eaten "the best eggplant rollatini he'd ever had" (a non-vegan version,) he was a little less pleased with that dish.
My other two sides were sesame collards and Indonesian tempeh:

I really loved the tempeh! I love tempeh in general, and am so used to eating it plain in salads that I forget it can be really amazing when cooked and prepared well. The spices on the tempeh were great. It was maybe a little salty, but paired with the plainer collards, it was perfect.
And um, just to fill out the Groupon, we ordered dessert:

This is a butt end of a brownie. It's always a little odd to be served a corner piece, but I can't expect them to throw out 4 corners of a baked good. It was still very good, though the sauce on top was a little thin and didn't really add much.
That was my very full day. From the restaurant, I ran to work to loan a friend a book, then to therapy, then to visit another friend, who is a bit under the weather, then home again home again to see my best lady:


So, yes. Happy Spring. Here's to greener things....

16 comments:

  1. Probably they should crumble up the corner pieces and eat them as staff dessert in sundae form, rather than serving them. Then everybody wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. Or give them to me free of charge.

      Delete
  2. Hannah really does come up with some cool ideas. Anyway, I liked the pic of the discarded petals. Enjoyed the informative look at a Sacred Chow Tapas Meal. Feel bad G didn't like his Eggplant Rollatini but Black Olive Seitan sounds really good. Seems like you used to go to Quantum Leap a lot but it has fallen out of favor? Delightfully Anne Elliot of you to visit an under-the-weather friend. I'm loving this post almost as much as Haxan is loving that sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a spread for $20! I really like the looks of your dish; the collards are so vibrant, and the tempeh (what kind of sauce?) also looks great. A day involving a museum trip and friends, is always a good idea in my book. Bring on the green!

    P.S. Big snuggle to Haxan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The menu says they are cooked in a lemon-mustard sauce and the one on top is a Russian dressing?? But that doesn't sound right at all. How would a Russian dressing be Indonesian?
      Haxan nudges you right back.

      Delete
  4. I've read Maus, and yes, I understand. I've heard him speak, which was fascinating, just as you've described.

    The food looks beautiful and delicious — I probably would have ordered what you did. The price does seem reasonable for what you received, and I have to say I'm impressed that you actually use your groupons instead of accumulating them in a pile. I no longer buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard him speak before too! He's very engaging. And the art is fantastic. I like his New Yorker covers a lot too.
      Haha, I am guilty of not using Groupons too...it helps if I have something for 2 people. There is a Pure Food & Wine groupon for one languishing somewhere.

      Delete
  5. So funny! I went there for brunch today! Mom ordered the Sardinian omelet, I got the green juice and the nama gori Panini. Sadly, the banana sponge cake special wasn't available, so went with the chocolate cream pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very intrigued by their brunch menu. Hope the chocolate creampie sufficed, I mean, I can imagine ;)

      Delete
  6. Sacred chow has always seemed just expensive enough its too much.....(without a groupon). Your meals look super delicious! I guess i'm clueless- i thought G was vegan. And yeah, brownie butts should be repurposed not served with a sad sauce to try and hide it.
    Amazing you took a few days off! Good!!! Hope you just chilled out on the other day.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe - the prices for a panini or soup and a side sounded fair to me. Luckily, they seem to offer Groupons often.
      G is a vegetarian. Good nuff.

      Delete
  7. Oooh, that seitan looks awesome. I'd definitely chow down on it. And, yes, the discarded petals & leaves really do seem like they'd sum up what I've read of the exhibit. So jealous of you city folk and your museums and culture :) Happy Spring! Maybe it'll get warm soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The culture is great to have (if pricey) but I miss so much of it and take so much for granted! We almost missed that exhibit!

      Delete
  8. Yay. Happy Spring!! That looks like a lovely way to celebrate. I'd have ordered that seitan too. Damn, that looks good. And maybe I'm a weirdo, but I kinda love the corner brownies the best. They're kind chewy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Blessed Ostara. I thought about working in some faux eggs...but didn't. Hmm I like corner brownies when I make them mysefl, but I'd rather not get them as a surprise serving at a restaurant.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.