Search This Blog

Monday, March 10, 2014

Here is some Food.

The sweet cinnamon zine loaf. From the top it was all cool and swirly, inside was visually disappointing, and weirdly pinkish? But it tasted great.


Especially with a bit of Tofutti cream cheese:


This is a photo of a banana. I ate it.


This is a photo of a salad I made for dinner that was SO long in coming!! There are croutons from a bagel I burned, like, 4 months ago and always forgot about when making a salad.

This had spinach, avocado, tomato, carrot, tempeh, and CROUTONS later to be topped with tahini-turmeric dressing.
This is a big bagel for breakfast.

Pumpernickel with Tofutti cream cheese and chunky tomato slices. No onion, alas.
A stir fry, sans rice:

onion, garlic, ginger, bok choy, broccoli, shiitake mushrooms, carrot, tempeh with sesame oil, rice vinegar, scallions, and soy sauce.
A vegan and gluten-free chocolate chocolate-chip cookie from Paradis. This was one dank-ass cookie. It was sooo moist inside, in a good way, and it took me forever to eat. G refused to take even a bite. Afterwards I felt like I had had a shot of a double espresso. The texture was also crazy! There were maybe coconut shreds and oat flakes in there? But not a really noticeable amount. It was like shoveling sweet mud from the banks of the Mississippi into my mouth.


Something much simpler: a gluten-free slice of toast with Earth Balance and apricot jam. After that Mississippi mud mayhem, this was a cleansing April shower. I ate this as breakfast today...

alongside a super juicy orange...
and (soy) milky black tea.

Happy Daylight Savings time! This is a late-afternoon shot, would you believe it? The sun was still in the sky around 5. I liked the light and thought it made the kitchen look really warm and cozy, alongside some soup I'd made, the dishtowel, and the top of the French press.


Mz. Thang in her spot on the couch:


And, finally, a mistake. I must really be jumping the gun on Spring because I thought these were pussy willows on the tree until I got closer and saw they were still left-up Christmas lights.

25 comments:

  1. "Zine loaf" totally gives me a mental picture of a bunch of pages sticking haphazardly out of a loaf of bread. Obviously your version is superior! Especially with cream cheeze, zomg. Also: BAGEL. I think it's been two months since I've had one! This is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love loafs and would probably still eat that one...
      BAGEL is right.

      Delete
  2. Colorful and delicious! I am jealous of your cinnamon bread and beautiful salad. The citrus must be ending their season with a bang; both you and Shen have found enormous fruit. I would love to eat the Mississippi mud, it looks so decadent! Sending an extra cuddle to Haxan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salad was good! I forgot to say I sprinkled parsley on top (did the same with cilantro on tonight's salad) and the fresh herbs really added a lot!
      Just cuddled Haxan for ya.

      Delete
  3. Love the pic of Ms Thang as she owns the couch.
    Love the bagel shot, looks like the tomato is being eaten by the bagel! The use of bagel as croutons is very resourceful. It sounds like paradis didn't actually bake the cookie much at all......
    I'm with you on the springy optimism- decided to go citibiking this am and couldn't feel my ears/nose/hands for a good long while. But those lazy peeps need to take down the xmas lights!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, she really does own it. my roommate and I hardly use it but it's covered in cat hair (well, on her half.)
      I went biking on Friday night, which was a little cooler than the weekend but I'm sooo happy to be out zooming around again.

      Delete
  4. Um, are pussy willows usually that large?

    Jelly and butter never co-exist on my toast; I'm still not sure how I feel about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe not... do you mean the buds or the trees? I guess it was just wishful thinking.

      Delete
  5. I looove that pinkness going on--especially since it isn't from food coloring. It's like a fun surprise!

    Also, daylight savings ftw!! I'm almost crying every evening now because it's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I even got to see the sunset from home today!

      Delete
  6. That bagel looks super tasty and that brownie sounds intense!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time you post a pic of bread and jam or cream cheese, I start craving that!! Now I want bagels! And homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha go git some! Homemade bread is probably better.

      Delete
  8. Ooooh some of my favorites in this post! The cinnamon bread looks and sounds delicious. The salad is really pretty too and that bagel looks amazing. How have your tomatoes been? Winter tomatoes are so sad. I love stir fry sans rice and that orange looks huge! And of course my favorite part of all of your posts is the appearance of the adorable Mz. Thang ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I ate the bread too quickly. LOOKS like I'll have to make more! The tomatoes have not been great, but I've found that the smaller they are, the better. I usually get Romas that are just about to go bad.
      The orange was gigantic. Very filling. Then I found another in the vegetable bin!

      Delete
  9. Excellent post. It's time for Paradis to start paying you for free advertisements. Is Paradis officially named Paradis-To-Go?

    Haxan looks as rich and decadent as your Mud Cookie.

    There is really no need to ever take down Christmas lights. Just unplug them till the next Christmas and hope no little bookstore girl passes by and gets all judgy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the sign outside only says Paradis and there are maybe 4 tables inside (it's pretty small) but if you're looking it up online, yes it's Paradis-to-Go.
      I wasn't being judgy so much as making fun of my terrible eyesight...

      Delete
  10. You ate a photo of a banana? You Americans are so strange sometimes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you eat a PICTURE of an orange at least?

      Delete
    2. Of course! If it was on that Asian edible candy paper.

      Delete
  11. The inside of the cinnamon bread looks really good to me — nice texture and color. The brownie, on the other hand, sounds a little alarming. The salad looks great, and makes me think about how I just let the husband plant a raspberry (or something) in my lettuce pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The texture was good, yes! I went back another day for the same cookie, so maybe it was alarming...but in a good way.

      Delete
  12. What was in the loaf that looks so pink? I think that's really rather impressive. And if G doesn't want the brownie next time, send his share my way. Sweet, sweet mud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pinkish zine loaf looks lovely with Tofutti cream cheeze (I love the tub, I finished it in a few days during my trip in Boston). Mz. Thang looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.